Your opinion please - RC Groups
Oct 17, 2017, 04:35 PM
Discussion

Your opinion please

These photos are of a new E-Flite PT-17 1.1 m.
They show voids in the foam on the tail section, right side. These are not just bubble marks.
Horizon Hobby tech support tells me this is normal.
With 30 planes in the hanger with nothing like this on any plane, I am a bit suspicious.
Though I have seen quality problems, never anything this bad.

So, What say you.
Is this normal or is Horizon being cheep?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2017, 04:57 PM
Hi,

Don't like it, but would probably just live with it. If you got a new tail you would be just as likely to cause as much damage switching out the parts.

Good luck!
Oct 17, 2017, 05:04 PM
They should replace the model. My two cents

Ken
Oct 17, 2017, 05:19 PM

additional info

Horizon Tech support commented "they are all like that"
My son has the same model without the voids in the tail.
Oct 17, 2017, 07:43 PM
Post your photos and commits under Warbirds there is a large thread there on this Stearman.

Ken
Oct 24, 2017, 10:45 AM
Newbee with a Gee Bee
Unfortunately this kind of stuff IS normal, even though it shouldn't be.
They must have squeezed just one more model out of their low-running foam injection machine as they made yours...
Oct 24, 2017, 12:09 PM
If you fly the model a lot, the foam will develop dents and blemishes, etc. If you seek near perfection in scale-like models, consider building from balsa or cosmetic correction of minor flaws in foam.
Oct 27, 2017, 12:11 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
Should not be like that. Not right or normal. Still, just cosmetic, so I dont know that they would do anything. Maybe send out a new tail section.
Oct 27, 2017, 12:44 PM
Probably wouldn't bother me much.

If it did, I would just use some lightweight foam filler & touch it up.
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
Oct 28, 2017, 10:35 PM
"On the Wing"
My policy: Open it in the store and inspect it before you hand over your credit card. If they won't let you do that, shop somewhere else. Of course I make it clear that if it looks OK I am going to buy it.

If I buy it online, I pays my dime and takes my chances. Most sellers are honest.

Quick fix: Shoot some hot glue over the area, wet your finger and smooth the glue out. Color match some acrylic indoor/outdoor craft paint (Walmart) and paint over the area. Fly and enjoy!