Sub-Forum Proposal: PSS only - RC Groups
Nov 11, 2004, 12:38 AM
Blue skies forever!!

Sub-Forum Proposal: PSS only

Anyone else interested in creating a PSS only sub-forum? There are plenty of slopers out there who prefer this type of flying that would warrant this change. Or would this cause too many debates on what is and is not PSS? What do you think......

Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2004, 12:41 AM
Ado
Ado
Meow?
no fun in that
Nov 11, 2004, 12:54 AM
ALL IN !
Jeff,

The same type of post was brought up on the DS forum, but it was bringing DS into the slope forum. So some of the answers/suggestions may lie there.

Peace
Louie
Nov 11, 2004, 01:00 AM
Int'l Slope Observer

Good Luck, But I Don't Think It Has A Chance

I'm a big proponent of these separate forums for the sub-genres of RC flying - and the sub-genres of the sailplane/glider genre. I love it.

This is why I was surprise to see that a poll conducted by Mark Wood in the DS forum got a majority of voters in favor of moving the DS forum into the Slope Soaring forum. 71 voters, with 43 wanting to consolidate.

I'm working on my first PSS plane as we speak. I went to PSS Fest for my first time, last May, just to take pictures and watch these beauties fly. I am on your side.

That being said, when looking at that DS poll, I don't see you getting a majority of our slope soaring brethren in favor of a new forum for PSS.

Just my two cents.

Happy Flying ;-)

John
Nov 11, 2004, 01:01 AM
plane obsessed
I really enjoy the amount of slope activity in this forum- why fragment a good thing?

Cody
Nov 11, 2004, 01:01 AM
Piscine Promulgator
In a word, no.

Steve
Latest blog entry: Of Fish, France, FPV, and Fun!
Nov 11, 2004, 01:04 AM
Piscine Promulgator
However, if you are primarily interested in PSS, you should be aware of the ISR club forum already here on RCGroups. Those guys fly many things, but they have a heavy emphasis on PSS. Maybe what you're looking for already exists?

Steve
Nov 11, 2004, 01:11 AM
Free as a bird now.
Personaly, I love all things slope related. I would end up reading all the posts in the regular forum as well as the PSS forum if it were created.

I don't really see a need to split it up.
Nov 11, 2004, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice
Personaly, I love all things slope related.
i agree...i even love the off topic threads here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice
I don't really see a need to split it up.
i agree...
Nov 11, 2004, 03:22 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil
i agree...i even love the off topic threads here...
For the record, and for my part, I am toning that stuff down as of now. Anyone who reads this, feel free to lay a written smackdown on me if I start to stray.

So: I think having separate forums for all the sub-interests of slope soaring is not a good idea. Consider: how many different types of slope glider do you fly? Does anyone actually only fly PSS, and owns no other airplanes whatsoever?

I'm sure you can find one or two, but they will be the exceptions that prove the general rule, which is that most people tend to have (or at least desire) any number of different types of slope airplanes, ranging from quite small to often quite large.

Furthermore, slope soaring is already a tiny niche part of the larger R/C hobby. Consider the fact that this Slope forum is the world's largest (at least as far as I know), and yet we're still far, far smaller than most of the power forums. We've only recently reached something of a parity with the Electric Sailplanes forum.

So, in my opinion, if you've got a relatively small community with a relatively wide array of interests, to me it makes the most sense to keep it all in one place. If there were many, many times more people posting to the Slope forum, it might make sense to have separate subgroups, but considering things as they are, I just don't see the upside.

Plus, and this is totally personal preference, I like the convenience of having everything all in one forum. I hate having to try to keep track of multiple threads in multiple sub-forums; having them all in one place is really convenient and facilitates the communication and retrieval of our collective knowledge and experience.

So anyways, there's the more expanded version of my really paltry and rather lame two bits presented above.

Steve
Nov 11, 2004, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
For the record, and for my part, I am toning that stuff down as of now. Anyone who reads this, feel free to lay a written smackdown on me if I start to stray.
...okay.

but, i think a 'smackdown' would be a little harsh...

imo, off-topic threads, or even gentle meanderings during topical
threads add information about the topic (slope stuff...) and the people
who participate in it. (of course, it's possible that you might get 'shwacked' for rampant pirating of threads...but, i find them pretty funny... )

Quote:
So, in my opinion, if you've got a relatively small community with a relatively wide array of interests, to me it makes the most sense to keep it all in one place. If there were many, many times more people posting to the Slope forum, it might make sense to have separate subgroups, but considering things as they are, I just don't see the upside.
exactly...no point in making things more complicated than they need to be...
Nov 11, 2004, 04:37 AM
Long to be flyin'
I think limited off-topic stuff is healthy, as it reflects day to day interactions and sometimes provides lightihearted relief from like-minded obsessed and addicted slope-nuts!
Nov 11, 2004, 08:35 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Quote:
For the record, and for my part, I am toning that stuff down as of now.
Hey, if you think you've got issues now...just wait until you get on the goop!!
Nov 11, 2004, 10:02 AM
PlaneCrazy
I agree, keep the slope stuff together, although many times I have thought that it might be a good Idea to have an event forum under sailplanes, right now if you are looking for events you have to look under all the different sailplane forums plus the event forum in airplanes-electric plus yahoo ect. In this forum they usually make them sticky's which helps, but what do you guys think about our very own events forum?

Doug
Nov 11, 2004, 10:16 AM
I agree with the general feeling so far, no need to split PSS off to its own forum. I like PSS stuff, but also fly non-PSS planes too.

ericm