Ultimate Biplane Build Plans by Giuseppe Ghisleri - RC Groups
Oct 17, 2017, 03:48 PM
Build Log

Ultimate Biplane Build Plans by Giuseppe Ghisleri

Hello Everybody!

I've been away from the hobby for quite some time now but I've always wanted to build a scale warbird. Rather than jump right in and fail tremendously, I decided to start with another model I've been wanting to tackle that will hopefully be a good stepping stone to practice on. I decided on the Ultimate Biplane by Giuseppe Ghisleri after finding what looked like solid plans, for free, and a couple people had already built them and posted their builds here on RCGroups a while back.

I also wanted to do some sort of project with the wife and she was very excited about it so this will be a joint build for us. I'm not sure how much time we will have to devote to this project, but at least for now I plan to update the build log regularly. We just ordered the wood and it should be arriving this week.

For those interested, I found the plans here: http://www.profili2.com/eng/plans.asp
http://www.profili2.com/eng/download_plan.asp?Id=89
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2017, 01:04 AM
Got the shipment of wood today! Pretty excited to start the build.
Turns out the wife can't get mad at you for making a mess of the kitchen when she's the one helping make the mess!
We got the elevator halves put together okay. Only a few small incidents of glued fingers and mis-cut pieces =)
Oct 20, 2017, 12:14 AM
Didn't get too far tonight, got the horizontal stab tacked together. Maybe we'll sheet it tomorrow. We're going to add a couple blocks for mounting tail brace wires. I converted the plans over from metric to fractional inches and it seems the tail surfaces ended up a little thinner than the design calls for. Bracing wires should help with any lost strength and look a little more scale too. 😁
Oct 21, 2017, 01:27 AM
Had some wine while working tonight, used the wrong size balsa for the rudder and had to rebuild it. Oh well. Making progress little by little.
Oct 21, 2017, 04:09 PM
Vertical stabilizer put together before our son's soccer game. Hope to sheet the tail today and get the parts all sanded.
Oct 22, 2017, 09:58 PM
We got the stabilizers sheeted yesterday. It might be time to admit that we have no clue what we are doing. We chose to build primarily with CA, using epoxy for things like the firewall, landing gear, etc where more strength is needed. We're just fitting the pieces together and wicking thin CA into the joint, going back afterwards to fill in any gaps with thick CA. For the bottom sheeting, we could place the framed part on top and wick thin CA under the ribs. For the top sheet, we used a nice wide bead of thick CA to make sure any gaps were filled and then flipped it over and pressed it down onto the sheet, cutting away the excess sheet once cured. Since the sheets are laying down on the granite countertop, the parts so far have come out super flat near as I can tell 😁

Today I began cutting ribs. By hand. It sucks. The wife was taking a little break from the build. I cut out a couple templates from 1/4 ply (I would have used 1/8 but we had plenty of extra 1/4 available). I traced the templates onto my 1/8 balsa sheet using a sharpie. I stacked 4 sheets and used a razor saw to roughly cut the ribs apart. I sandwiched each stack of 4 rough ribs in the ply templates, clamped with C-clamps, and trimmed the excess with the razor saw. Ran the assembly over 60 grit sandpaper to remove the bulk of the balsa close to shape, then 150, final shaping with 220. I made them in groups of 4 because that barely fits the C-clamps I have available. But, I think it works out. I figure if there are any minute differences in my ribs (like if I keep accidentally sanding my templates and end up making smaller ribs) then at least I will have 4 matched ribs each time. The first set will be my roots, the last set will be my tips. If anything goes wrong, at worst I'll end up with a very slight taper in the wings which should be totally fine.
Oct 29, 2017, 12:46 AM
Made a little more progress. Got the rest of the ribs all cut and sanded, stacked them all together to make sure they were nice and even and sanded them with a block. Turns out I did end up sanding my templates a little too much so the wing tapers ever so slightly. My ribs ended up just shy of the plan length at the center and maybe 1/4" short at the tips. I ran a strip of balsa diagonally across the cord to use as a jig so that I could build a slight washout into the wing. Held everything in place with weights while I lined everything up and tacked with CA. I went with leading edge stock for the leading edges. It's a bit oversized so it will be a pain sanding it back to the right dimensions. Finally, I got the fuselage sides sanded straight on one side (the sheets I got were just slightly off) and then roughly cut out around the rest, I'll sand the nose/tail/bottom sides to shape another day. I just wanted to get my plywood reinforcements cut out for the fuselage... I'm using the same sheet to cut the reinforcements for my servo mounts and wanted to make absolutely sure I already had my sides cut before I go and make a mistake. 😁
Oct 31, 2017, 11:18 AM
Nice build log you have going here. I hope you can continue to make progress.
Nov 05, 2017, 01:10 PM
Thank you! My skills are pretty terrible. I keep getting things off center and wind up having to go back and fill gaps or patch things. You can see where there's a little bump in my sheeting near the leading edge, I had to break it off and reglue the sheet at those ribs. The wife is much more precise in her building. I figure worst case I'll have to use extra filler and add a little weight to the plane to hide my mistakes. I'm thinking this plane will come in a little overweight so maybe no extreme maneuvers but a decent sport flyer.

We modified the servo mounting for the ailerons. Going to put some slim servos in the wings mounted horizontally and we'll use the RDS system to drive the ailerons with no external linkages.
Nov 06, 2017, 09:07 AM
Looks good to me, I for the life of me cannot seem to drill a hole in center or cut a strait line, yet I love to build.
Nov 07, 2017, 12:36 AM
Glad I'm not the only one! LOL I finished sanding the fuselage to shape, cut the slots for the horizontal stab and got to work on the formers. Cut the notches for the landing gear support blocks and epoxied those in place first by lining up the fuselage with the plans and holding in place with soup cans and masking tape... the poor man's magnetic building board. Flipped the fuse over and epoxied the formers in place next. The wife worked more on the wing sheeting and did a much better job than I did. I think she's going to just do the whole upper wing herself.

We got 1/4" ply for the firewall to match what was on the plans, but the engine manual says a minimum of 3/8" for the firewall. I sandwiched two pieces of plywood together for a little heftier than necessary 1/2" firewall. We plan on using the RCGF 21cc twin. It's 80g lighter than the OS120 called for on the plans so I figure my slightly heavier firewall won't hurt anything. Plus I think it will fit totally inside the cowl, the carb might stick out slightly but there's a hump with an air hole in the center of the cowl anyway so it might not be noticeable.

Edit: Pictures were out of order, had to fix that. Also, it looks like the firewall is wayyy crooked in that photo but it's just the wide angle of the phone camera. We chose to start with zero (or as close as I can get) down thrust or right thrust and we'll adjust later if needed.
Last edited by A Lewis; Nov 07, 2017 at 11:29 AM.
Nov 07, 2017, 01:57 AM
AMA 46133
>> I keep getting things off center and wind up having to go back and fill gaps or patch things. You can see where there's a little bump in my sheeting near the leading edge, I had to break it off and reglue the sheet at those ribs.<<

Model building is simply a test of your skill to cover up your screw ups. The better you can cover up and/or fix your screw ups the better your plane will look. I doubt if there is anyone that build model airplanes can admit to never having any screw ups. Some screw ups and easier to fix than others but we all make them.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:47 PM
This will definitely give me good practice at covering mistakes! And learning lessons about what not to do. If it comes out terrible then I figure I paid a couple hundred bucks in balsa and building supplies for some valuable lessons. The next build will be greatly improved. (We were getting ready for a family trip this weekend so not much progress to report. Hopefully more building to come shortly.)
Nov 12, 2017, 04:16 PM
Hope to get out of life alive
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lewis
This will definitely give me good practice at covering mistakes! And learning lessons about what not to do. If it comes out terrible then I figure I paid a couple hundred bucks in balsa and building supplies for some valuable lessons. The next build will be greatly improved. (We were getting ready for a family trip this weekend so not much progress to report. Hopefully more building to come shortly.)
At least you are building your plane and not assembling an ARF. You will learn so much in the building process. Heck I started the hobby way back in 1975. Back then you had no choice but to build if you wanted to fly. I have to say I'm still learning and modifying my building practices with each and every plane I build.

Carry on!!!

Ken
Nov 12, 2017, 04:19 PM
Hope to get out of life alive
Spend some time in the scale and balsa builders forums here on RCG. They are a friendly bunch and will share and answer questions you may have.

Ken