Safety procedures while programming BNF models - RC Groups
Oct 17, 2017, 01:15 PM
Discussion

Safety procedures while programming BNF models

Hello All,

I wonder what type of safety procedures you employ while programming, for example, somewhat powerful Bind aNd Fly (BNF) models:

1- Disconnect the motors
2- Remove the main rotor blades (used this one with my Blade 200s BNF)
3- Disconnect the ESC and power the receiver with a 4.8 volts battery
4- Nothing, just hope for the best
5- ??
Regards
Joao
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2017, 02:06 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Taking the pinion off is a good one, it still allows you to program and set up everything but without any danger. Only down side is that the pinion isn't so easy to remove on some helis.

Personally what I usually do is disconnect two of the three motor wires for setting up the heli mechanically and programming the FBL etc. To program the ESC you have to have to motor wires connected (otherwise no beeps) so I'll remove blades for that but.. at least on larger helis.
Oct 17, 2017, 04:21 PM
Great suggestions, thank you. I think the manufacturers should have some safety recommendations on this subject, as having the heli powered at very close range to the operator while the radio is being configured is a potentially hazardous situation, particularly for beginners.
Regards, Joao
Oct 18, 2017, 10:44 AM
seen where some people ,on larger heli whith owb ,swap the moter wires so moter runs
backwards for setting up esc
Oct 18, 2017, 01:40 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdugas
seen where some people ,on larger heli whith owb ,swap the moter wires so moter runs
That's a great idea. The only slight hitch is when setting up you dont know what connection is forward and what it reverse, so at least for the first power up you would need to take other precautions such as removing the blades.
Oct 18, 2017, 01:54 PM
yupp removing blades and keeping the battery wire easy to disconnect if needed. also keeping it on a big surface not close to anything else, also keeping hands and other stuff away that could be dragged in. should be safe then. always think safety should be good enough.
i always do that when i do a new setup or in the test phase, when i don't know if TH or failsafe or whatever works properly yet-
Oct 18, 2017, 05:49 PM
Many thanks for your ideas, we got to be particularly cautious while the little fellows
are powered for the first time after been, in a way, indocrinated
Oct 26, 2017, 10:57 PM
GREY.riddles::{used}? hmm
I keep my 700 between legs on unknown boot ups. Its like sitting on a donkey! No way it'll start, motor will just keep stuttering especially with castle esc

Motor reverse is pretty clever! Unfortunately, on mine, wires are tucked inside.
Oct 27, 2017, 11:58 AM
Destroyer of Threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdugas
Genius.

Never even crossed my mind.

Then again, some of my OWB's are not to be trusted.
Nov 01, 2017, 03:01 PM
Excellence is Expected
disco the motor and use separate RX battery pack
Nov 01, 2017, 09:55 PM
Me, I back away pinion from main gear! This is however not possible on all heli!
Nov 03, 2017, 09:16 AM
Destroyer of Threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsen.gl
Me, I back away pinion from main gear! This is however not possible on all heli!
I'm not a big fan of running BL motors without any kind of load.

Did it once and the motor wound up so quickly that it scared me, considering it was right next to me.

I suppose in governor mode it should not matter, but it still freaks me out.

Maybe I'm too cautious. I dunno.

Then again, running your OWB in reverse would not be much different than running it without any load at all.

The only load you would have is the friction from the gear mesh, and bearing drag.
(An insignificant load compared to flight.)

There is also the possibility that your OWB could seize...

The best method for setup and troubleshooting IMHO is to remove the blades and let the core mechanical components rip.

If anything is bent or out of whack, IU2 will promptly initiate the "walk-around-the-workbench" waltz.

When it comes time to set up pitch related stuff, unhook the motor and put the blades back on.
Last edited by Steve_; Nov 03, 2017 at 10:12 AM.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:10 PM
I usually pull one motor wire. If it's not reachable (only on small helis) or if I need to spin the motor up, I take off the blades.