Fat Shark BASE HD Beta Test Thread/Discussion - RC Groups
Oct 17, 2017, 11:59 AM
Discussion

Fat Shark BASE HD Beta Test Thread/Discussion

Hey everyone:

Production on Fat Shark's BASE HD is finally ramping up. Before we officially turn on the manufacturing line though, we wanted to get some user feedback from the group to see what you think about the new technology -- as you probably know, the BASE HD uses a digital LCoS chipset which is super bright and colorful.... but it's also a new experience for many FPV pilots.

To get your opinions, we're going to set aside a batch of the first, polished pre-production units for early beta testers. We'll subsidize them and you'll get them below cost for $200, but as part of the deal, we'd also like some honest feedback from you and we'd like to hold off on anyone filing lavish, official youtube reviews -- these are, after all, still pre-production units. Feel free to chat about the features/feedback etc on RCgroups, just try to keep the scope within this cycle of beta feedback..

If you're interested in helping out, we put together a form here. Fill it out and we'll send out Paypal invoices on a first-come-first serve basis. We also have to restrict this to the US and EU too -- it's too complicated to run this beta group across all 195 countries.

Keep in mind: if you're looking for a final product ready to sit on store shelves, PLEASE WAIT until the official BASE HD launch. The campaign we're running now is simply a beta test on early units for user feedback.

In terms of hardware, what we're sending out is polished, pre-production units with all of the cables, cases and packaging of normal mass production. We're simply looking for feedback on the hardware and experience prior to full scale launch.

Again, the signup link is here

After you submit your interest we'll send out invoices and hardware on a first come, first serve basis.

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by skinnyshark; Oct 19, 2017 at 11:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2017, 12:01 PM
Reserved for FAQ.

Here's Fat Shark's BASE HD product page.

What's LCoS again? Here's a good Wikipedia article. In a nutshell, it's brighter and fuller pixels compared to the typical LCD screen you're used to in the HD3, V3, Attitude etc.

Does it have analog-in? No, not this version. We started working on this platform over a year ago and wanted to solve digital input first before adding the complexity of analog. You can, however, use an analog-digital converter to pump a 5.8 signal into the system. It'll look better because of the tighter pixel density, but keep in mind that any analog interference is going to carry through.

Field of View and screen size? About 28 degrees 16:9.

Is there a fan? Yes, it's integrated and always on. The top button controls the brightness.

With what am I supposed to fly this? Any Connex system with HDMI-out, any DJI system with HDMI out or.... pretty much anything with HDMI out, including Velocidrone/Liftoff/DRL on your computer.

Why are you running a beta on this now? LCoS displays are really hard to get right (ask us about the clean room). We want to make sure this is right before launching en force.

Why do you call it the BASE HD? Because it's a simple-stripped down base HD system.
Last edited by skinnyshark; Oct 17, 2017 at 10:33 PM.
Oct 17, 2017, 01:58 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Will BaseHD have Audio OUT?
$200 to test out 28degree FOV.
Oct 17, 2017, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Will BaseHD have Audio OUT?
$200 to test out 28degree FOV.
Yes, there's audio out.

Value of the headset is less in the field of view and more in the display chip. But again, you're under no obligation to participate.
Oct 17, 2017, 02:36 PM
... yet less image and yet expensive price.
Oct 17, 2017, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brat002
... yet less image and yet expensive price.
1280 x 720 = "less image"

kek
Oct 17, 2017, 03:06 PM
So the unit Rotor Riot reviewed was a pre-pre production model?
Oct 17, 2017, 03:39 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
I tried out those Guelfs where the image is protuded into your eyeball...
its still NOT better then my HEADPLAY SE (72 degreeFOV)

How is this BaseHD much better then Goggles with larger FOV? clarity?
Since image sooo small, what magnification did you use to make it clear?
Oct 17, 2017, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFox
So the unit Rotor Riot reviewed was a pre-pre production model?
Yeah, we did a super early prototype run late last year/early this year and after sending a few out decided that the optics needed another cycle or six.

It's really tough to get LCoS optics cleanly integrated into a headset.
Oct 17, 2017, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyshark
Yeah, we did a super early prototype run late last year/early this year and after sending a few out decided that the optics needed another cycle or six.

It's really tough to get LCoS optics cleanly integrated into a headset.
Yeah, no doubt! I'm sure we will be hearing more of this technology in the upcoming months once you fine tune them, possibly they will make their way into the Dominator HD line?
Oct 17, 2017, 08:43 PM
I don't have the new ones yet, but I did notice the first gen prototype units wouldn't take the 1280x720p
image from my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet, while my Headplays, and HD2/3s will.
It tries, but the image is garbled (looks like severe motor noise as you'd see on an analog signal).
This is relevant for anyone trying to fly something like the DJI Mavic (where the controller
has no HDMI output, so only option is to display the tablet's screen via its HDMI output).
Has there been any signal compatibility work done on the latest gen units?
Oct 17, 2017, 08:57 PM
What's the latency like with these?
Oct 17, 2017, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
I don't have the new ones yet, but I did notice the first gen prototype units wouldn't take the 1280x720p
image from my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet, while my Headplays, and HD2/3s will.
It tries, but the image is garbled (looks like severe motor noise as you'd see on an analog signal).
This is relevant for anyone trying to fly something like the DJI Mavic (where the controller
has no HDMI output, so only option is to display the tablet's screen via its HDMI output).
Has there been any signal compatibility work done on the latest gen units?
There was a lot of improvement made to the HDMI compatibility and syncing. I didn't test with the Nvida Shield as I thought that was an end of life product. Is it not? Well at least you can test it when you get your unit and post your feedback. I'm actually interested if I properly addressed the issues on your initial report.
Fat Shark
Oct 17, 2017, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPeek
What's the latency like with these?
As minimal as any display system can be. The HDMI signal is converted to LVDS and there's only an LVDS splitter w/ backlight generator between the HDMI chip and display.
Fat Shark
Oct 18, 2017, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshark
There was a lot of improvement made to the HDMI compatibility and syncing. I didn't test with the Nvida Shield as I thought that was an end of life product. Is it not? Well at least you can test it when you get your unit and post your feedback. I'm actually interested if I properly addressed the issues on your initial report.
Fat Shark
The original Nidia Shield went away for a while, then they came back with the Shield K1 model, and that one is now also discontinued,
but it's still highly sought after as a display device for DJI products, because of the screen recording and HDMI out capabilities.
There's a pretty healthy market for used ones, now selling for more than they originally listed new.

Will let ya know about the rest.