Looking for graphite composite plate - RC Groups
Oct 17, 2017, 11:47 AM
Discussion

Looking for graphite composite plate

Hi all. I am looking for non woven carbon fiber or what some folks call graphite. Cant seem to find it anywhere. I cut woven carbon fiber all the time, but have a customer who wants what he calls graphite for an rc car chassis. I remember years ago the Losi buggies and some of the aftermarket parts were made from the stuff. I dont even know what the proper terminology for it is.

Multi directional carbon? Non woven carbon? Graphite? All these search terms lead to nothing useful.

Surely somebody has a good source? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

First pic shows what I usually make and work with. 2nd pic of the rolling truck frame shows what i am looking for,, the black non weave material.
Last edited by topforce; Oct 17, 2017 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2017, 01:03 PM
I'm All Thumbs
The graphite your looking for is most likely a graphite colored plastic.
The graphite form of carbon is very soft (pencil lead).Your CF material is tons stronger/stiffer.
HTH
J
P.S. Check CST
Oct 17, 2017, 02:21 PM
The second picture might be just black G10...basically epoxy/glass and is far inferior to what you have been using. G10 is readily available from Mcmaster-Carr and is available in a few colors, including black. Much cheaper than actual carbon/epoxy.
Oct 17, 2017, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a type of carbon plate that was non directional. Likely a similar layup to g10 but using carbon strands.

Graphite is just a term and its used loosely. Losi used to paint the word graphite on their upgrade stronger suspension arms which were visually a non woven carbon reinforced plastic.

I'll check McMaster Carr and see what they have. I cut g10 as well, and its pretty good.
Oct 17, 2017, 08:08 PM
What you are looking for is called Unidirectional carbon fiber.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Qwg8IKA&adurl=
Oct 17, 2017, 09:41 PM
Not sure about that. The unidirectional material I found is described as having strength in 1 direction, but not the other. All fibers for instance being oriented length wize, so being flexible in width, stiff in length.

I also researched quasi isotropic material, but that still has a weave pattern visible.
Oct 17, 2017, 09:46 PM
Yes, with a single ply the fiber runs only one direction but a plate of 1/8" will have multiple layers in what is called a balanced layup. The multiple plies will be oriented in 0-45-90-135 degree positions.
Oct 17, 2017, 09:59 PM
Interesting. Ill check out the uni plates again,, see if I can get some more info. So far yes, the uni plate does look most like what I need.
Oct 18, 2017, 03:22 PM
Spy's sappin' my thermal!
That picture you just posted is almost certainly some sort of fiberglass composite, probably G10. You can see the fine square pattern on the surface from the fabric weave; no carbon fabric would have that fine a weave. Even with unidirectional carbon, you would still be able to see the fiber direction quite clearly.

Graphite is another (correct) term for what we usually call carbon fiber, and the term is more frequently used in industry. Losi's "graphite" parts were probably injection-molded plastic with short-strand carbon fiber in the mix.
Nov 07, 2017, 05:36 PM
If it floats....sail it!
This is a late reply, but for others who may read this thread, Hobby King sells carbon fiber plate 300 mm x 200 mm in thicknesses of 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 mm, but only from their international warehouse.

Do a Google search on “hobbyking woven carbon fiber sheet”.
Nov 07, 2017, 11:06 PM
It's time for me to fly
"Carbon fiber mat" is available from many of the composite fabric dealers. It's chopped strand multidirectional non-woven fabric. I've never seen it offered as a pre-made "plate" though, you'd have to lay up your own. It will be heavier and weaker than equivalent plate made of woven &/or uni-carbon.
Nov 15, 2017, 11:14 PM
I have a customer requesting the graphite looking plate material. He isnt a fan of the woven look. Oh well. The cost of uniplate is very high, and I cant justify that cost to buy it just to see if its the right stuff. I prefer the woven stuff.