Oct 17, 2017, 09:47 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Diatone GT-R90 - 90mm, CCD, 4s, TBS Unify Pro

Banggood listing

Deserving of much more fanfare, this little gem popped up on Banggood's new arrivals page, a pretty spectacular price considering the competition and the components it's packing. The only question mark I have is over Diatone's decision to use those DYS 2030s, shouldn't the Gemfan 2035 have been the default choice?

Now for the excruciating interminable wait for it to be in stock...
Last edited by TeeDubbleYoo; Oct 17, 2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: tidying up
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 08:51 AM
First week of November so I read. Which is next week
Oct 29, 2017, 11:47 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Looks tempting
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 02, 2017, 02:40 PM
Albert put a review up. Was hoping it would have more ‘snap’.
Micro Drones 101 🚁#46🔥 Diatone GT-R90 👍👍👍 (17 min 3 sec)
Nov 02, 2017, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
It certainly feels a lot faster than how long some Eachine or Furibee products dwell on their product pages...

Looks like all the ingredients are there but it may have needed a little more time on the stove
Nov 14, 2017, 07:39 AM
Just ordered one of these
Nov 14, 2017, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5imon
Albert put a review up. Was hoping it would have more ‘snap’.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbkjO10-2iI
I think I saw that he had an updated vid on it. I'll see if I can find it again.

Yep he did a tuning vid
Diatone GT-R90 Tuning Session 👍 (7 min 32 sec)

Seems like he loves this thing and says it's better than the spc maker 95gf for quite a few reasons. Price being a big one.
Nov 15, 2017, 07:00 PM
How high does it go?..duh
I have one ordered and its already shipping via ems ... not much there not to like, except the frame perhaps, as the top arch bit looks a little weak on sideways impact where it bolts to the retainers on the frame, and also maybe leaves the fc exposed a bit too much . Ordered some 2040's to try, will be going 3s as I think 4s may be a bit too heavy on a 2inch prop.
Dec 02, 2017, 05:16 AM
Anyone care to comment on how this gtr90 flies in comparison with a lizard 95 or the leader 120 running on 3s 550mah?
Last edited by 3DFun; Dec 02, 2017 at 07:25 AM.
Dec 02, 2017, 09:34 AM
Ok had a week now with this quad...IT ROCKS! Flys super locked in flat out on 3s 450mah really nice, just like my 250's do, will do everything freestyle I ask of it, F4 and 8k makes big difference, love the TBS with Smart Audio I have it on 200mw and it works great.
Things I have found so far, stock pids were useless for 3s , P was way too low, I was too low, and D was way too high, the prop guards were brittle and heavy (power loops horrible with the guards on) and broke on first crash into soft grass, and the current draw meter was miles out, filters were not set right. And I did put a small beeper on it, as it would be silly not to. Battery strap useless..too short, and there are zero instructions, just a reference to a blog that doesn't exist. Found the current sensor heavy and affected flight if allowed to wobble about, so hook it under the strap or something, also offset you battery slightly when putting it on to counter for its weight. Still waiting for my Gemfans to turn up, so currently stuck with the bull nose things. Would I recommend this quad..yes totally, VFM you cant touch it for spec. Jury's out on the motors at the moment, the bearings are a little lose not much but a just a little, will let you know how they go, although with $8 or something for a new one, it isn't much cash.

My wip pids so far are as follows (only fly Acro): (Obviously pids are relative so everyone's will be a bit different).

Roll P=55 I=50 D=17
Pitch P=57 I=62 D=18

Hope this helps someone.
Dec 03, 2017, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly
Ok had a week now with this quad...IT ROCKS! Flys super locked in flat out on 3s 450mah really nice, just like my 250's do, will do everything freestyle I ask of it, F4 and 8k makes big difference, love the TBS with Smart Audio I have it on 200mw and it works great.
Things I have found so far, stock pids were useless for 3s , P was way too low, I was too low, and D was way too high, the prop guards were brittle and heavy (power loops horrible with the guards on) and broke on first crash into soft grass, and the current draw meter was miles out, filters were not set right. And I did put a small beeper on it, as it would be silly not to. Battery strap useless..too short, and there are zero instructions, just a reference to a blog that doesn't exist. Found the current sensor heavy and affected flight if allowed to wobble about, so hook it under the strap or something, also offset you battery slightly when putting it on to counter for its weight. Still waiting for my Gemfans to turn up, so currently stuck with the bull nose things. Would I recommend this quad..yes totally, VFM you cant touch it for spec. Jury's out on the motors at the moment, the bearings are a little lose not much but a just a little, will let you know how they go, although with $8 or something for a new one, it isn't much cash.

My wip pids so far are as follows (only fly Acro): (Obviously pids are relative so everyone's will be a bit different).

Roll P=55 I=50 D=17
Pitch P=57 I=62 D=18

Hope this helps someone.
It helped me! Would you recommend this over the Lizard95 for someone who's flown whoops and would like something a little bigger and faster? Or is it not worth the extra $70?
Dec 04, 2017, 10:17 AM
Quadnoob77: I have never had a Lizard to play with, but personally I would rather have known brand stuff, than Banggood\Eachine own brand, as the quality is never there. The Diatone seems to have been designed, chosen part wise, by someone who knows their onions, I couldn't find a better specked 2 inch quad for the money, this quad has the lot. However be aware there are no instructions, so you will have to do some internet searching to work out whats what, and you will need to tune it to get the best out of it as the stock pids are pretty carp.
Dec 04, 2017, 10:27 AM
My Gemfans arrived today, 2040 Hulkies, these will be staying on there. Amp draw is less still with plenty of pop, its quieter, plus much cleaner running over prop wash. Clearance between the rear prop tips and the last wire on the rear esc's is very very tight, so be careful and check them before flight.
Dec 04, 2017, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Or you could let someone else do the hard work for you
More importantly it's great to know Diatone is working with Albert to fine tune the GT-R90, they haven't just released it half baked and moved on, which happens way too much in this hobby...

But tuning PIDs is as much about making a quad fly better as it is about making it fly the way you like. If you're still a beginner you may very well be happy enough with the stock tune, from there you learn what to look for as you advance.

While I don't own one, hearing the opinion of the Youtube Reviewers who are much more knowledgeable than me, (Stu from UAVFutures, Albert Kim) they all seem to agree that this is as good as it gets for a 2" micro right now. Whether or not it's worth the price difference is really up to your wallet. The TBS Unify Pro alone is worth $40. Along with that you get a CCD camera, an F4 flight controller, a proper current sensor, better standard of build quality, and backing from a company that put a lot of effort into what they produce, instead of seeming like they're in it to make a quick buck. It hard to argue the price isn't justified.

The only design oversights you could level at this quad are the lack of a buzzer and the old generation propellers, but they are very easily corrected problems.

I have no affiliation with Diatone, but even being around the hobby for as short a time as I have, you can't ignore that Diatone care about what they do.
Dec 04, 2017, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly
Quadnoob77: I have never had a Lizard to play with, but personally I would rather have known brand stuff, than Banggood\Eachine own brand, as the quality is never there. The Diatone seems to have been designed, chosen part wise, by someone who knows their onions, I couldn't find a better specked 2 inch quad for the money, this quad has the lot. However be aware there are no instructions, so you will have to do some internet searching to work out whats what, and you will need to tune it to get the best out of it as the stock pids are pretty carp.

Thanks! Any other manufacturers i should look at other than Diatone?

Quick Reply