Skycar - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 17, 2017, 04:08 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

Skycar

Spotted this and thought it might make a good project so have started converting it to foam (Depron) .. its based on the Phoenix Warren S-31 and the model was designed by Ken Willard, Bob Andris and the plans were from RCMplans August 1969 (as far as I can see)

The PDF file is the article on the project and makes for very interesting reading and as will see, the original concept by Mr Norman Hall-Warren was introduced in 1926 and was patented in 1937 .. a real accomplishment in that era I would believe

I have copied almost exactly from their plans, except to allow for the thickness of the Depron sheet .. I have made the fuselage a little wider and upped the size a bit .. the original plan had a wing span of 38" (965mm) so I have upped the size to 1230mm (about 4 ft wing span)

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 29, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2017, 07:46 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Wow cool! Opposite configuration to the Dragonfly .... bit of the BOP in there to
Oct 17, 2017, 09:52 AM
Should be interesting Duke, I have found the original plans and am working with these to convert to Deporon .. front wing is zero and rear wing is 6 degrees negative incidence

Lockey
Oct 17, 2017, 12:54 PM
Out the Window
Now that is different, Lockey! Do you think it would work with a tractor configuration?

By the way, I got to fly my Taube again Sunday. Great airplane....good looking....flys great!

Ray
Oct 17, 2017, 05:21 PM
I like it! Stall proof they say, but is it tree proof?

I wouldn't mind a go at building it when you've finished
Oct 17, 2017, 06:10 PM
Looks interesting. Finally one of your designs without a lot of curved bits which makes my DTFB builds possible. Would be glad to give this one a go.
Oct 17, 2017, 08:51 PM
I am sure it would be OK as a tractor, in fact I am not sure why they built it as a pusher in the first place when the original design was to be a tractor and tail dragger

You would think it would even fly better (especially at low speeds) with the prop wash over the surfaces from a tractor

Anyway, as it was designed by these guys and (to all intents and purposes) it flies well, I thought I would stick to THEIR plan

Wings will be wrap over again as it seems to add strength without much other bracing, only tricky bit I see is the twist in the bottom / rear wings .. 6 degrees twist is quite a lot .. not sure if it would be better to make a couple of building templates (as they did) or simply build the top wing and then attach it to the fuselage and add the bottom / rear wing ??

I have just had another look and I think the fuselage might well get in the way to enable the bottom / rear wings to roll over .. or these wings will have to be made befor hand with the twist built in

I have copied almost exactly from their plans, except to allow for the thickness of the Depron sheet .. I have made the fuselage a little wider

As always, your comments and ideas are always more than welcome

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 17, 2017 at 09:04 PM.
Oct 17, 2017, 09:01 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Thats a lot of incidence hey!... I noticed the motor angle straight away. Have a look back at the original photos and look at the thust angle they had set up. With that bid front wing I struggle to see why they would need that much thrust angle AND 6 of tail incidence.....?????
We'll find out when you fly yours Lockey ...... the Bird of pray didn't need all that....
Oct 17, 2017, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Thats a lot of incidence hey!... I noticed the motor angle straight away. Have a look back at the original photos and look at the thust angle they had set up. With that bid front wing I struggle to see why they would need that much thrust angle AND 6 of tail incidence.....?????
We'll find out when you fly yours Lockey ...... the Bird of pray didn't need all that....
Yes mate, not sure why .. except to say I think they were trying to keep it as near as possible to the original wing design .. if you read the attached PDF you will see they explain this in the letter they sent to the original designer .. as you know, the bottom of a flat wing is not the centre line of incidence so it is not really 6 degrees .. if this makes sense .. they seem to explain it better

Lockey

EDIT ... I have just had another look and .. because the rear wing is twisted, the actual 6 degrees incidence is only on a small part of the wing (at the bottom) .. if you gather my drift ? .. still cant say I really understand why the difference anyway

EDIT >> EDIT .. Just taken another look and if I draw a centre line through the wing sections .. the front wing has 2.2 degrees positive incidence and the rear has 3.8 degrees making a total of 6 degrees .. whilst the rear FLAT portion of the wing is set at 6 degrees the actual is 3.8 degrees .. make sense
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 17, 2017 at 10:52 PM.
Oct 29, 2017, 12:16 AM
Hi guys, plans are almost finished .. Looks like I will be out of action (as far as building goes) for a little while but if anyone would like to have a go at this please let me know and will send you the plans FOC as soon as I finish them .. just need the parts numbering etc and made into PDF files

Afraid I can only supply exploded views of how the parts go together .. come on Adam, dust of the building table

Lockey
Oct 29, 2017, 04:10 AM

car

where car
Oct 29, 2017, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by space 1
where car
See the PDF article at post #1

Lockey
Oct 29, 2017, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Hi guys, plans are almost finished .. Looks like I will be out of action (as far as building goes) for a little while but if anyone would like to have a go at this please let me know and will send you the plans FOC as soon as I finish them .. just need the parts numbering etc and made into PDF files

Afraid I can only supply exploded views of how the parts go together .. come on Adam, dust of the building table

Lockey
Yep I'll give it a go!
Oct 29, 2017, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
Yep I'll give it a go!
Good man .. I will finish the plans and send the PDFs on to you mate

Lockey