2017 NorCal F3F Final Race - RC Groups
Oct 16, 2017, 09:58 PM
Contest

2017 NorCal F3F Final Race

The final NorCal F3F race of 2017 will be held Sunday (10/29). We will race at the SLoT immediately following the 09:30 NCSS club meeting.

I hope we have a great turnout for this last event of the year.

Please sign up on The Vault:

http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=even...&event_id=1048
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2017, 08:11 PM
Looking at the forecast for Sunday ... it doesnít look good. Especially early.

Due to weak forecast, club meeting at 11 am. Racing to follow as soon as conditions allow.

Will keep an eye on the weather . . .
Oct 28, 2017, 02:42 PM
I am not overly optimistic about the forecast, but since it is the last comp of the year, and it is our backup date, lets give it a try.

NCSS club meeting at 11:30.

Racing to follow the club meeting.

The SLoT.

st
Oct 29, 2017, 01:27 AM
Thanks Scott. Hoping for the best and packing a DLG just in case, however it just may blow good for a nice race. Will be great to hang out and fly. Bill, Jeff, and I plan to be there.
Oct 29, 2017, 10:36 AM
I will be showing up too, Bill I will bring buzz. I will be going early and flying 3d at DVRC and plan to show up at 11:30-12.
Oct 29, 2017, 02:28 PM
The wind . . . She is blowing!
Oct 29, 2017, 05:14 PM
Wind showed up after all. Nice way to wrap up the season.

Getting rounds in the mid 40ís. Great having some newer pilots out today.

Super fun contest.
Oct 29, 2017, 09:13 PM
Great job Scott and Sandy ! That was a super fun event and in part because it was very well run. I was having a blast trying out how to figure out fly there and had a few uber failure rounds when it slowed up on me but it was still all fun. Landing is pretty easy to figure out. Hats off to you guys.
Oct 29, 2017, 09:41 PM
Event is scored.

http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=even...&event_id=1048

Mehrdad comes out on top - congrats!!! Also taking the season overall. Very good flying today and all season Mehrdad. It is great that you are helping out so many of the newer racers. They were all doing great today. Next year will be a blast!

Thanks Sandy for CD'ing this last event of 2017! It was so nice to have some down time between rounds. We all really appreciate your help.

Thanks to Scott CW for manning base A all day. We need to get Scott flying not just helping with events. He had some last minute programming problems which kept him from flying. I was bummered for him.

Highlight of the day was seeing Mike R crank out a 43.50 in round 2! Great run Mike, nearly the fast run of the day, until Mehrdad hooked up a late day thermal in rounds 8 for a 43.40.

I ended up second for the day, and Mart took third to round out today's podium.

Series overall winners are Mehrdad, Steve and Ken. Congratulations to these very talented pilots!!!

I am already looking forward to next year.

Scott Thomason
Last edited by curdman; Oct 30, 2017 at 01:22 AM.
Oct 29, 2017, 11:53 PM
Martin

NCSS at the Slot

It was great to see so many guys out there getting a chance to fly laps in good air and get a chance to work on their plane set up/ballasting. Lots of smiles and lots of people helping each other. Thanks to Sandy and Scott C-W for all your help today.
Great air today means lots of fun.
Mart
Oct 30, 2017, 08:35 PM
Thanks to everyone who was at NCSS Slot yesterday. Wind in the mid-20s and racing in perfect temps. A great day.

Scott Thomason: Thank you for putting on another fun event for us.

Sandy Sheldon came out again and took on CD duties so rest of us could focus on flying. He drove out from Folsom to volunteer his time again. He is an incredibly special and kind-hearted individual. I consider our soaring community tremendously lucky to have Sandy's involvement.

Scott Campbell-Walker volunteered and helped at many ISR and F3F races in past. He joined us yesterday to race however after a TX issue left his model grounded he did not say goodbye and leave (which would have been perfectly fine). Instead he volunteered his entire afternoon to work Base A so rest of us did not have to. Who does this? A very generous and self-less man, all so others enjoy their day more.

Congrats to Scott T. and Mart. They flew great with the air they drew. Their round wins tell the story.

Mike Retterer was in lead from the start and on path for podium finish however he had to leave early. Congrats to Mike for his two round wins. He had the Aris going fast again. We are in big trouble when he gets a new model to race.

James was doing well with his FS4. Unfortunately he had to leave early too.

Most notable yesterday was the high level of flying by both peninsula and east bay sportsman. I mean they weren’t flying like newbies at all. Every one of them had round scores in the 900s. And they made landing the Slot look easy too. Best of all was the energy they brought. It was a pleasure to see everyone having a good time. They watched and discussed each others starts, lines, turns, terrain, conditions, setup, ballast, etc. I was thinking these are my kinda of like-minded folks and look forward to flying with them more.

We had a large group of 11 yesterday, especially for an end-of-season November race. Even with so many pilots not present (yes I am talking about Ken, Ron, Steve, DZ, Triebes, Dominic, Tim, Matt, plus a few more).

Of course we all missed Dave Olson big time, our hearts and minds are with him and his family during this time of re-build and recovery.

If anyone is interested in giving thermal duration a try, SVSS Davis club has their last monthly TD contest Saturday November 11th. May be something to consider to make use of that tow hook thingy on your F3B/F3F model.
Oct 31, 2017, 02:31 AM

And a good time was had by all...

It was great to be able to make it to the last NCSS race of the season (but does it HAVE to be the last one???). How about one more, just for "fun"...then we all go somewhere for a late lunch...Just a thought. I'm willing to make the trek from Foresthill (not Folsom, I'm about 40 minutes up I-80 and at the 2500' level <G>)...So let's do it!

I had a my usual great time, bantering with different pilots, watching and seeing where the air was faster or slower, cajoling different pilots to "push hard, go go go", and trying to keep things running smoothly. I think we did 9 rounds (including the 0 round) in a little over 3 hours, so things were moving along pretty well. It seems like it just doesn't pay to try to call the Wx at the SLoT. The forecast called for really "iffy" conditions, and we were presented with winds about 5-10. Definitely better than expected conditions, and I think everyone got in some good flights during the day.

Afterwards, I even got ScottT to try my Zulu on the slope. He offered some thoughts on the dual rates setup, which I'll dial-in, and then I'll try to spend a little time up there with it.

As always, if everyone else had a good time, then I did as well! Thanks Guys!

Sandy
Nov 04, 2017, 11:37 AM
Montara, CA
Well, I had a blast. First time at the Slot....what a cool place. Thanks to Sandy and Scott. And thanks for all the help from lots of folks with landings, racing lines, ballast tips, etc. Really helpful group. Really looking forward to next season.

So how about an F3F clinic? The hotshoes can help out us newbies with no pressure of a race? Then we buy them dinner and libations afterward. Possible?

Bill
Nov 04, 2017, 01:25 PM
I am not sure why because perhaps I haven't flown an f3f race in over 3 months or because of the way it was run, but that was one of the most funs times I had at F3F. It's kind of a funny F3F course because there's no defined ridge and it seems like lift precipitously falls off on the left side but all in all it was great fun. My plane was new too so that was the first run for time and I had ballast issues (flew with no ballast) and came in 4th and landed with no problems. I need to practice enough where I'm not just showing up but getting faster. My biggest dilemma is how fast Mike R is with just straight pylon turns and a 10+ year old plane. Perhaps it works better at Slot but he was right there with Mehrdad. I guess what I'm saying is perhaps until us beginners can no longer squeeze any more time out of pylon turns then we should progress to upturns. But I find pylon turns kind of boring