What FrSky receivers you using - RC Groups
Oct 16, 2017, 02:28 PM
Discussion

What FrSky receivers you using

So what's your favorite FrSky receiver that you like to use in your fixed wing planes? Just picked up a carbon edition Taranis X9D radio and am looking for receivers. I've got a mix of E-Flite electric foamies, a big 1/4 scale cub, 10cc Cessna 182, soon to have a Seagull 91 Super Decathlon, and a 1/5 scale P-47 that is going to require 13 channels if I want to set it up properly. That plane is the reason I picked the Taranis to begin with. I fly Spektrum right now but didn't want to drop a grand on a radio to get the number of channels I need for it.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 03:23 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
I tend to use a lot of X4R's and X8R's, but I'm switching from the X8R to the easier to install G-RX8. That's mostly in gliders (X4R for RES, X8R/G-RX8 for Full House).

Remember, all SBus-capable receivers output 16ch on SBus.

That said, for your P-47 I'd use a RB with an X4R-SB as primary and an XM+ as secondary, with two RX packs feeding the RB. That gets you redundant power, redundant receivers and fused servo outputs (so a single servo failure can't bring down your aircraft).
Oct 16, 2017, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
I tend to use a lot of X4R's and X8R's, but I'm switching from the X8R to the easier to install G-RX8. That's mostly in gliders (X4R for RES, X8R/G-RX8 for Full House).

Remember, all SBus-capable receivers output 16ch on SBus.

That said, for your P-47 I'd use a RB with an X4R-SB as primary and an XM+ as secondary, with two RX packs feeding the RB. That gets you redundant power, redundant receivers and fused servo outputs (so a single servo failure can't bring down your aircraft).
I'll probably end up having three battery packs on the plane. 2 for receiver redundancy and a third for the CDI ignition. Can you post links to what you're talking about? I'm having an issue finding them.
Oct 16, 2017, 04:03 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
The FrSky RB is here:

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/redundancy-bus/

The X4R-SB is here:
https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/x4rsb/

The XM+ is here:
https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/xm-plus/
Oct 16, 2017, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
I have an X4R SB and an XSR that came with the radio. But they look so puny, like they are made to work with the flight controller on a quad and not have a bunch of servos hooked up to them.
Oct 16, 2017, 04:38 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assocracer
I have an X4R SB and an XSR that came with the radio. But they look so puny, like they are made to work with the flight controller on a quad and not have a bunch of servos hooked up to them.
Your servos all plug into the Redundancy Bus, the X4R-SB and XM+ (or XSR bound non-telemetry) just provide the SBus feed with servo data to the Redundancy Bus, which handles the power distribution and decoding 16ch SBus to 16 servo outputs.

The X4R-SB will run 3 servos + 16ch over SBus, the XSR (and XM+) just output 16ch SBus.
Oct 16, 2017, 04:43 PM
Ok, this is all new to me. I'm coming from Spektrum so I don't totally know how the SBus stuff works. So if I were to run the XSR what would I need to hook up servos to it?
Oct 18, 2017, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Ok, this is all new to me. I'm coming from Spektrum so I don't totally know how the SBus stuff works. So if I were to run the XSR what would I need to hook up servos to it?
Another receiver or SBUS servos. The SBUS only receivers are meant to be used on quad (flight controllers) or redundancy / power-boxes.
Oct 18, 2017, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango
Another receiver or SBUS servos. The SBUS only receivers are meant to be used on quad (flight controllers) or redundancy / power-boxes.
They make Sbus servos? I can't imagine that servos like that would work very well? Not enough current going to them to be able to move surfaces on anything much bigger than a micro plane?
Oct 18, 2017, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango
I see this now. One of the points of going to Taranis is the price point. Those SBus servos are stupid expensive.
Oct 18, 2017, 01:02 PM
Jup, that is why sbus servos are very rare
Oct 18, 2017, 01:47 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
They make Sbus servos? I can't imagine that servos like that would work very well? Not enough current going to them to be able to move surfaces on anything much bigger than a micro plane?
Sbus's power bus can be whatever you need. Nothing stopping you from running 18-20ga wire and feeding from a 2s Lipo, allowing very high current draws)

What Sbus servos allow you to do is to run 3 wires across a wing, controlling 4+ servos.

And FrSky's SBus servos are reasonably inexpensive (compared to Futaba's).
Oct 18, 2017, 01:48 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
The Redundancy Bus.

The XSR feeds the RB, the servos plug into the RB. The RB handles the mapping of SBus to standard servo ports.
Oct 18, 2017, 04:22 PM
FrSky also make very "normal" looking 6 and 8 channel receivers at attractive prices.
Oct 18, 2017, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey
FrSky also make very "normal" looking 6 and 8 channel receivers at attractive prices.
Oh I know that, I've got some coming. I was just wondering what others were using is all. Like I said, I'm knew to the FrSky stuff. I like how user programmable it is, but it's a little more difficult to figure out how to do it. They don't hold your hand thru the setup process like Spektrum and Futaba do, but there is definitely a lot of YouTube videos on it. I haven't really gotten a chance to set up the radio though as I don't have any receivers to put in any planes yet. I'll have to wait till Friday night when I get home from work and hopefully have a couple in the mail by then. My ONLY concern is leaving the fate of my irreplaceable Bert Baker P-47 to a $200 radio