Kaman_K-16B - RC Groups
Oct 16, 2017, 10:36 AM
Nicholas Jacobs
Discussion

Kaman_K-16B

Hi folks.

Just came across this via a friend. Anyone seen this amphibious VTOL puppy before ?

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...834555811).jpg

Nicholas
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2017, 03:07 PM
Looks cool. I presume it's in a similar situation to the Osprey regarding conventional takeoffs/landings?
Oct 22, 2017, 01:11 AM
Hey that's a neat one. Just when I thought I had seen them all.
Oct 22, 2017, 12:19 PM
Google Images has several photos. One shows a plaque that says the wing only tilts to 50 deg. Wouldn't that make this a STOL rather than a VTOL?
Oct 23, 2017, 02:18 AM
Sounds like it Plumbob. Searched for some flight test video but apparently this bird never left the ground. Still an interesting design in the history of VTOL/STOL evolution.
Oct 23, 2017, 02:50 AM
What do you suppose the result might be if the motor remained fixed, but the wing tilted to vector the thrust?
Oct 23, 2017, 11:00 AM
Probably this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_VZ-3_Vertiplane
Oct 23, 2017, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Brandano. That's something like what I was imagining, but the wing itself doesn't tilt. The wings on the VZ-3 don't appear to be generating much aerodynamic lift in forward flight. A sizable amount of lift in FFF looks to be from the flaps. FFF doesn't appear to be very efficient.
Oct 24, 2017, 01:17 AM
If the motors were fixed then I think it would be less efficient at hovering. Like a Harrier jump jet, when you start bending the airflow 90 degrees, things can become less efficient.
Oct 24, 2017, 11:35 AM
Seems like a fun idea to play with though.
Oct 24, 2017, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt
If the motors were fixed then I think it would be less efficient at hovering. Like a Harrier jump jet, when you start bending the airflow 90 degrees, things can become less efficient.
As I recall, it had over 1,000 HP and could barely hover so it was grossly inefficient. The wing did flatten out for forward flight though so I believe it was almost reasonable that way.

The harrier is a somewhat different situation where the airflow is trapped in an enclosed duct with internal turning vanes as well. Even so, the Harrier is no prize for efficiency either, but it was never intended to be. The high effective "disk loading" guarantees low efficiency in terms of power required to hover (even though that is technically not efficiency).
Oct 24, 2017, 09:43 PM
My bad. I assumed the flight photo at altitude was FFF. Apparently it was a midair hover.