Oct 16, 2017, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Export ribs from XFLR5 wing design - how to ?

Hi folks

I've just finished my wing design in XFLR5 and would like to get into the construction asap. However, I would prefer the tapering interpolated sections of the wing exported so I can construct the ribs from there.

What is the best method that regular folks follow for doing this ? I know one cumbersome process would be to export the airfoils as DXF (already done) and then manually scale the airfoils along the length in AutoCAD but I was wondering if there was a better/another way ?

Also , the STL export in XFLR does not really generate a good smooth surface - any pointers to exporting it in any other object formats would be most appreciated.

Many thanks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 03:22 PM
G_T
G_T
Are you using a single foil, or transitioning from one foil to another across the span?

If transitioning, take the ratios of the foils based on location between known stations, and generate a new foil. Export the foil. Import that foil into ConCord and scale as desired, putting the result into the type of output you want.

If all the same foil, just export that foil, import into ConCord, scale it for each location, and take it from there.

https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/software.htm

Gerald

PS - Others can provide other methods.
Oct 17, 2017, 01:58 PM
I have the same problem but I use a Mac.

Art
Oct 18, 2017, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
Hi Gerald

Thanks for the tip. I am using a foil transition across the wingspan. I have a total of 5 different foils, thats why the interpolated steps would be most useful for export.
Well, I can sit and calculate the ratios of the in-betweening airfoils based on distance but I'm not sure how I can generate a new foil based on this interpolated data from 2 other airfoils.

I did read about a manual method - stacking blank rib rectangular balsa plates and then sanding them over 2 template profiles at each end. Could be a good method - could have errors too, not sure.
Oct 18, 2017, 01:06 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Switch to Direct Foil Design mode (on the File menu). Click on Foil > Interpolate Foils (or press F11). Select the two airfoils to blend in the drop-down menus, and enter the percentage (how much of the top foil versus bottom). Click OK. Enter a name for the new foil. Then export the new foil.
Oct 18, 2017, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarMe
...Well, I can sit and calculate the ratios of the in-betweening airfoils based on distance but I'm not sure how I can generate a new foil based on this interpolated data from 2 other airfoils....
XFOIL has the ability to interpolate an airfoil shape from two others. At the top level menu, use the INTE command.
Oct 18, 2017, 06:23 PM
Thread OP
Ahh thats great, thanks Wazmo and tspeer.

Quick Reply