Bruner Winkle (Perth Amboy) Bird - RC Groups
Oct 16, 2017, 09:54 AM
Discussion

Bruner Winkle (Perth Amboy) Bird

These are just about the only drawings I've ever seen for this a/c. Can't see a draftsman's name, but looks like the work of Willis Nye, to me. Anybody know for sure?

Had to do some cut and paste to fit the mag pages back together. Decided I didn't like having to turn the piece to see/read side view, so ran it twice, once rotated.

When I was growing up, Bird was oft derided among other biplane pilots for its relatively docile performance. "Take off at 18 mph. Cruise at 18 mph. Stall at 18 mph and Land at 18 mph." was the standard jibe.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 03:48 PM
Try "Brunner-Winkle Bird" and you'll get some more information and pictures -- like it was the plane Charles Lindbergh learned to fly in.
Oct 16, 2017, 06:08 PM
IIRC, CAL learned to fly in JN-4's. His wife, on the other hand, owned and took her primary flight instruction in a Kinner powered Bird. From my observation, Birds seem to have appealed to many women fliers. I think it may have been the name(??) and docile flying attributes(??).
Oct 16, 2017, 11:26 PM
You're right __ I was too hasty. Lindbergh bought a Brunner-Winkle Bird for his wife, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, to complete her flight training.

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-...-bird-4133032/