Tactic Transmitter - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 16, 2017, 09:43 AM
Discussion

Tactic Transmitter

The Avistar kit comes with Tactic transmitter. I am new and will need to buddy box a lot for awhile. Should I buy a 2nd Tactic transmitter for that purpose. Most are not going to have Tactic but either Futaba or Spektrum.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 03:36 PM
Do not to-uch the trim!
Which Tactic transmitter?

What is your level of commitment to the hobby at this point? (i.e., "I just thought I'd give it a try" or have you already picked out your 3rd and 4th planes?)
Oct 16, 2017, 05:05 PM
The Avistar RTF kit includes a Tactic TTX600 6-channel transmitter. My understanding is that it's only compatible with other Tactic or Tower transmitters. I think I will really enjoy RC but I am completely new. I've been on the fence for 8 years but I'm off now.

It's in this kit: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCNSW&P=ML
Oct 19, 2017, 12:47 PM
I might suggest seeing if the club/instructor you're going to learn from has that tranny first, which really might be a long shot.. but can't hurt to ask right. I'm thinking you'll use a local club, or have a friend in the hobby?... as there would be the place to ask. Of course it might depend on how much they are too...

If you can pick one up(also the cord too)... and get that set up for $50 + the cord... It doesn't have to be the 6ch either if they offer a 4ch tranny(or even a buddy box alone) then you'd have a solid trainer set-up that you own 100%, and you can share/teach other friends or family with your own set up once you progress to that point.. so in that aspect it might be a decent investment.

The Tactic radios I'm sure are very decent, and if they're compatible with Tower brand you should be able to get a Tower 4ch tranny for around $50 I'm thinking.

Really neither the Tactic radio or the Tower brand is going to do anything but give you a good solid system to learn with.... as once you advance into more sophisticated models you'll find the need to get a higher end radio... no doubt in my mind... but for now, and until you've gotten to that point, if money allows I would actually say get that Tower 4ch tranny and find an instructor to help you get in the air. I do emphasize getting an instructor, someone that you're comfortable with too.

That combo looks like it should work just fine for what its intended... That OS engine is a great running engine, the plane looks well designed.. and at a bit over $300 as it is it looks like a good deal too. Welcome to RC and enjoy!
Oct 19, 2017, 06:54 PM
I taught several people to fly back in the 80s and 90s and we never had a buddy box. We just passed the transmitter back and forth and never lost a single plane.
Oct 19, 2017, 08:37 PM
Rough Landing
The Tactic radios have a wireless trainer link. No cord needed between sets. This only works with other Tactic radios. Fly two mistakes high with a good instructor and you won't need the trainer link.

What you have is a great setup to get started. In reality you don't need a programmable transmitter. It's nice, but not necessary. We have all just become a little too spoiled these days. I had a Tactic TTX 650 and 610. They are great radios. Look in the forums and you can buy the programmable 650 dirt cheap. This would give a wireless link with your transmitter.
Oct 20, 2017, 07:22 AM
After further discussion with the club instructor, I plan to get the Tactic 660. Coupled with the Tactic 600 in the RTF kit, I should be set.

The plane is a versatile trainer that has fairly substantial aerobatic capabilities, so I should be set for at least a couple of years before I will feel the need to buy another plane.
Oct 20, 2017, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebbqguy
After further discussion with the club instructor, I plan to get the Tactic 660. Coupled with the Tactic 600 in the RTF kit, I should be set.

The plane is a versatile trainer that has fairly substantial aerobatic capabilities, so I should be set for at least a couple of years before I will feel the need to buy another plane.
You will not be disappointed. The Tactic wireless system works perfectly and is very reliable.
Oct 20, 2017, 12:09 PM
Good choice. I think you've got a great combo there.

I didn't realize the Tactic Tx trainer system was wireless... so after many years I'm still learning too... so many things have changed through the years... dude, you can't go wrong with what you're getting.

I've taught people to fly by handing off the tranny, and I've taught people with the buddy box... people have learned successfully with both methods of course, but I have to say using a buddy box is by far easier, and a bit less stressful in most cases... and if you can afford it (obviously you can.. ha).. you're making a great choice here for your RC future.
Oct 20, 2017, 04:22 PM
Do not to-uch the trim!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebbqguy
..so I should be set for at least a couple of years before I will feel the need to buy another plane.
Check back with us in a couple months!
Oct 22, 2017, 11:55 AM
Rough Landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
You will not be disappointed. The Tactic wireless system works perfectly and is very reliable.
Like Rodney said, you won't be disappointed. I have the used the wireless link between my 610 and 650 a ton of times with no problems at all. Right now I have Graupner and they also have the wireless link. Futaba on it's higher end 8 channel and up have the wireless link. The rest use the old ancient cord between them. Hitec makes some great radios, but the trainer cord was a deal breaker for me. The Tactic radios have done everything I could possibly need to do with no problems. They are a great system and have great support. The only reason I switched to Graupner is because I wanted a 6 channel receiver where the servos plugged into the end of the receiver, not on the top. This was mainly for small plane space concerns. The majority of people use Spektrum and love them. I have three friends with DXi 6 radios that have had unexplained signal and plane loss problems and have read of too many similar issues. Bear in mind this may not be the radios fault and could be the builders fault. Either way, you picked a great radio system. It would probably be hard to go wrong with any of the name brand radios.
Oct 28, 2017, 01:54 AM
Tactic has a LOT of features only the expensive radios of other brands have and I really enjoy my 850. Good choice.
Oct 28, 2017, 02:24 PM
I especially like the two controls on the back for flaps and spoilers. You can mix them to the elevator and deploy any degree of flap/spoiler you want with automatic elevator trim. I suspect that the same controls on the 660 would also serve that function much better than just a switch .
Oct 29, 2017, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrma_581
Check back with us in a couple months!
Exactly!