9Xv2 and new 9x AFHDA v2 compatibility - RC Groups
Oct 15, 2017, 08:20 PM
Discussion

9Xv2 and new 9x AFHDA v2 compatibility

I have a 9Xv2 Turnigy TX and I have an 'investment' in about 6 compatible RXs.
I want to buy (at least) one other TX so I can teach a couple of fellers to fly. Apparently the old and new 9X TXs are not compatible.
(I assume the difference is AFHDS and AFHDS v2?)
Obviously I don't want to just junk my existing equipment. Any ideas as to what Transmitters would be compatible with my existing stuff?
(Hopefully not expensive gear!)
Cheers,
Jools
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 09:32 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Subforumtitle: Power Systems.
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Oct 16, 2017 at 10:25 AM.
Oct 16, 2017, 11:03 AM
treefinder
Jools: Banggood.com recently had their 11th anniversary sale, and they had the FlySky fs i6 transmitter with 1 RX on sale for $36. At that price, i figured why not, just for grins? (Should add that it is a bit more now at $43 https://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i...l?rmmds=search)

The reason i considered it is that it is supposed to be backwards compatible with the V2 afhds like you and i are invested in (probably 40 RXs for me). I am happy to report that it is in fact compatible. One selects the protocol on a menu page. I have bound both new and old RXs with no problems. I was surprised at how small the TX is, about 3/4th the size of my 9xrPro. While i can't flash ersky9x on it, the menus are more like the open source ones than the original oem 9x ones and i find them easy to navigate. Another plus is that it has internal telemetry capability with the new i series RXs. I haven't seen much use for telemetry for the type planes i fly, but now that i have it "in the box" may dabble in it.

Mine is a nice solid unit, feels good in my hands (after getting used to the smallness) and has range for me to get my 32" span foamie out to where orientation becomes an issue (i am guessing a thousand feet). I think it is worth a look.
Oct 16, 2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the tip Springer, that TX sounds good. One catch might be that the buddy lead systems look different -different plugs. Not the end of the world but it could be useful seeing I'll be teaching with it. I wonder if an adaptor lead would work?
Also I'd want to adapt the battery compartment so I can use rechargables which means making up a charge plug/wiring, -that's no biggie though.
Haha, 'Treefinder' - I once landed a slopie so far up a tree that I had to shoot it down with my .22 !

(Apologies Ron, I couldn't find the 'Radios' topic when I first posted).
Oct 17, 2017, 05:44 AM
Here's another question.
I got a TGY-IA6B receiver a few weeks ago, hoping that it would work with my 9X V2 TX, but it couldn't bind. My original question was to find a new TX to be compatible with my existing 9X v2 TX and 9X8Cv2 receivers.
So Springer's recommendation of the Flysky fs i6 TX seemed all good BUT... it comes with that IA6B receiver that doesn't work with my existing 9X V2 TX. So how come it's all compatible?
What's the deal here? Have I done something wrong binding with the IA6B? I wouldn't have thought so, but as you can see I'm no expert. (Oh for those simple ol' days of crystals!!!)
Oct 17, 2017, 10:34 AM
treefinder
Jools, to your first question, i suspect that this cable https://www.banggood.com/Flight-Simu...l?rmmds=search along with a male to male 3.5mm phono cable will do the job of connecting the two radios. Haven't got one but i think it should work. It is odd that flysky would continue to use that din type connector instead of the more popular phono type, but then they are a bit quirky - often that's good!

To your second question, the new radios are backwards compatible, the old radios aren't forwards compatible, since the new protocol wasn't in place when they were designed. The tgy ia6b receiver will bind with the flysky i6 radio but not the old 9x. (Both the Tgy 9x and Tgy i6 radiois are just rebranded Flysky radios) Flysky could have included the backwards compatibility in the new 9x module, but didn't. Quirky! At some point someone may hack it but the i6 is still probably the least cost option for a trainer box. Banggood sells that radio without receiver for $30+ (don't remember exactly) so you could get it and the cable instead of it and RX. Just to be weird, a 9xr Pro with the dsss module will be more capable than your 9x, so you could get one and use the 9x as the buddy box (but you would not be able to use the ia6b RX you just bought). Would have to look at prices tho to see which option is bang for buck. At this point my vote would be for the Flyskyi6.

Yeah 72 mhz was simpler, except trying to find my channels crystals toward the end. .
Last edited by springer; Oct 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
Oct 17, 2017, 12:43 PM
There is a new FlySky module for the 9X that supports AFHDS 2A Just search Banggood.com
Oct 17, 2017, 03:14 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressalltheknobs
There is a new FlySky module for the 9X that supports AFHDS 2A Just search Banggood.com
The problem is that for some reason that one won't do the original afhds v2. A mistake by flysky to my mind. I would probably have one but for that.
Oct 17, 2017, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
The problem is that for some reason that one won't do the original afhds v2. A mistake by flysky to my mind. I would probably have one but for that.
Confused!

They have one that does the original AFHDS and a new one that does AFHDS 2A . You just have to switch modules. Yes that's a pain if that is what you mean.

Probably you can use the switchable version of the MULTI 4in1 if you want it selectable.
Oct 17, 2017, 10:31 PM
treefinder
The OP wanted a second tx that he could use for buddy boxing, and i assume, direct flying by his friends that would be compatible with the half dozen V2 RXs he already has. He mentioned that the new 9x isn't V2 but afhds2a, which i think is true in that HK seems to have discontinued the original (both having the module antenna hard wired, making for some complications in swapping.) He then indicated he had bought a new i series RX. Given all that, the fsi6 seems the radio that meets all his needs: an extra radio that can work all his RXs and be buddy boxed to his original 9x.
Oct 18, 2017, 12:51 AM
fair enough...yes I see HK now sells the 9X with an AFHDS 2A module which explains their recent fire sale on old stock.

I agree...probably an TGY-i6 or FS-i6 is the most economical and simplest choice except for the min din (s-video) to 3.5 mm stereo jack cabling which is a bit kludgey.

Just don't get an i6S since that is really multi-rotor only.
Oct 18, 2017, 01:03 AM
Excellent advice lads, thanks, I'll order an FS-i6. I'll get the DIN-Stereo jack cable too, and investigate a better TX battery pack option. Be interesting to see what BangGood's delivery times are like. - (A bit spoiled nowadays by HK's Local warehouses -Aussie in my case).
Oct 18, 2017, 08:46 AM
treefinder
I think they may be a bit faster to you than the two weeks or 14 days to me in Michigan. Lots of stuff comes out of Malaysia or Thailand. They must have warehouses all over the far east. So where ya at in Oz?
Oct 18, 2017, 09:42 AM
Mate, I'm on 30 acres of woodland in the Wombat forest at Greendale about 1 hour west of Melbourne. Nice country (but a bit fire-prone).
Some decent local slopes, but nowadays I fly mostly my OD 'Tacho' Electrics.

Hoping those terrible fires in California die soon... a bunch of our firefighters are on their way over to lend a hand.

Here's my hangout - just 5 minutes clambering down my hill, with an eye out for the joe blakes, (mind it's more like 15 minutes on the way back up!)

Oct 18, 2017, 08:43 PM
treefinder
Purty country!