New comer to RC Helicopters. - RC Groups
Oct 15, 2017, 04:18 PM
Watch Fanatic/RC Helicopter no
Discussion

New comer to RC Helicopters.

As a "Newby" to RC and Helicopters, I purchased a used Blade 120SR as well as a Used Spektrum DX7. Unfortunately shortly after getting all the ancillary pieces ( LiPos, Charger and a LiPo Safe Charging Bag ) the Tail Rotor stopped working. Found the Wire for the Tail Rotor had broken off the 5-In-1 Control Board. Am actively looking for a BLH3101 , but being Retired, Funds are limited. Just thought I'd "put it out here" - and see if anyone else has had the same luck. By the way, my Son attempted to Resolder the Wire. He was unable to, as the Solder Pen he has isn't precise enough in Temp range.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2017, 05:48 PM
hard luck bud... at HH will cost you $64...

have you invested in a sim... if not I would.. cuz the cost is gonna get even higher with those crashes
Oct 16, 2017, 05:28 AM
Rotor Controller
Welcome aboard Terry to a hobby that can stick to you like bubble gum as a kid. Helicopters hold an endless fascination of not only their inner workings but the most amazing part is that they even fly at all. As you and everyone else finds out these flying machines can get over our heads faster than a blink of an eye and it take a LOT of training and practice to make them fly right. Buying a used helicopter often buys the problems that the first owner had and the bargain basement deal is not quite the steal we hoped it would be. There are more opinions than helicopters on a beginner's forum and what flies for some may be very convincing but the wallet in your pocket is the determining factor. Mistakes and crashing is a big part of learning and the bigger they are the harder they fall and the more expensive it is to get them to fly again. Experience is the best teacher and learning on our own starts with zero experience and we make every mistake in the book because we don't have anyone to show us where and how those mistakes are being made. That's not to say it can't be done but as is often the case a beginner becomes frustrated with the time and discipline it takes and ends up finding another hobby. Strongly advise to find an experienced instructor who can stand by your side and provide the guidance and feedback needed when learning. My message box is always open if you have any questions but whatever and however you decide to fly have a SAFE and enjoyable flight!

captJac
Oct 16, 2017, 07:47 PM
You might be able to fix that, post some pictures, might just need a solder job, I don't know till I see what you got
Oct 17, 2017, 02:18 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
It should be possible to solder with a fine tip iron... Unless previous soldering attempts have caused irreparable damage?

This sort of issue is one of the several reasons why I personally don't like micro helis. They are touted as a cheap way into the hobby but they often it doesn't really work out that way. The integrated controller boards are a special hate of mine. One component fails and you need to buy the whole shooting match and because it's bespoke to that specific brand and model of heli you are stuck with one manufacturer and have to pay through the nose. Better in my book to get a slightly larger heli that takes standard electronics, that way you aren't tied to original supplier parts.

You might try eBay, you could maybe pick up a used 120SR heli for less than the cost of a new board on it's own, then at least you have a whole heli worth of spare parts.
Oct 17, 2017, 10:17 PM
Destroyer of Threads
I share your opinion of integrated controller boards.

The main boards on my Blade micros are ridiculously priced.

The mCPX board is $70 and the Nano CPs board is $65.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...ProdID=BLH3601

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...ProdID=BLH2401

It seems silly spending $65 on a board, when the entire retail BNF Nano CPs is only $100, including a battery and USB charger.

I should mention that the boards on my mCPX and Nano CPs are still original and have been
crashed countless times with no damage, so at least they are well made.
Last edited by Steve_; Oct 25, 2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Bad links
Oct 22, 2017, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmTerryJ
As a "Newby" to RC and Helicopters, I purchased a used Blade 120SR as well as a Used Spektrum DX7. Unfortunately shortly after getting all the ancillary pieces ( LiPos, Charger and a LiPo Safe Charging Bag ) the Tail Rotor stopped working. Found the Wire for the Tail Rotor had broken off the 5-In-1 Control Board. Am actively looking for a BLH3101 , but being Retired, Funds are limited. Just thought I'd "put it out here" - and see if anyone else has had the same luck. By the way, my Son attempted to Resolder the Wire. He was unable to, as the Solder Pen he has isn't precise enough in Temp range.
-The tail motor wires plug into the board so you can swap out tail motors. If it broke at the plug you can just remove the plug and put a new tail motor on. I have a tail motor in my parts bag I can give you. Just let me know...

PS. Here's a link to your model's manual with an exploded view: http://www.bladehelis.com/ProdInfo/F...100-Manual.pdf

PPS: But if it is the 5 in 1, I may have one of those also...
Last edited by elan; Oct 22, 2017 at 05:11 PM.
Oct 25, 2017, 10:30 AM
Destroyer of Threads
elan, thanks for providing useful information to the OP
( instead of what I did. )

I don't complain all the time. I sleep sometimes.
Oct 30, 2017, 10:18 AM
Found a New BLH3101. Price was/is below any other source.
Oct 30, 2017, 10:20 AM
The 5-In-1 Controller has the Tail Rotor soldered to the Circuit Board. The Plug-In for the Tail Rotor separated from the Circuit Board.
Oct 30, 2017, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the timely advice. Currently waiting on delivery of a New BLH3101 5-In-1 Controller. Found it here and completed the purchase yesterday. Will ship out today ( 10/30/17 ).
Oct 31, 2017, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmTerryJ
Thanks for the timely advice. Currently waiting on delivery of a New BLH3101 5-In-1 Controller. Found it here and completed the purchase yesterday. Will ship out today ( 10/30/17 ).
-Cool. Let us know how you end up making out and welcome to the fun!
Oct 31, 2017, 09:51 PM
As others have said, get a simulator. There are "free" ones like neXt and Heli-X that you can simply download to your computer. All you need is a cable that costs less than 10 bucks on eBay.
The 120SR should actually hover hands-free, because it has a 45 degree flybar. That requires that nothing is bent or otherwise out of whack. Keep in mind that it cannot really handle wind, which means you need a calm day or a large indoor area like a gym or a barn.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:31 PM
Capt.
Looking for a recommendation for a Flight Simulator. Reminder: Blade 120SR 'Copter and DX7 Transmitter ( 1st Gen ).

Thanks Capt.!