Servo mounting - RC Groups
Oct 15, 2017, 03:57 PM
Question

Servo mounting

Hello all. I'm working on building my first SPAD, or at the very least picking up where I left off last year...

The wing is made of Coriplast Sign material. Any suggestions on how to mount those aileron servo's... Small strips of hard wood epoxied to the coriplast then screw the servo's into that?

I'm using Standard Servo's... The spad will be powered with an OS40.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 08:51 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Use some strips of the PVC pipe glued to the top and bottom of the wing skin. Or, hardwood/ply strips on the bottom. Makes no difference.
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...
Oct 16, 2017, 10:22 PM
Be sure to keep weight to a minimum. Coroplast at 4mm can be rather heavy, especially for a 40 engine.... depending on the SPAD design.

Consider large holes in the wing spar, 2mm Coroplast, single servo for ailerons, careful prop selection.
Oct 18, 2017, 11:15 AM
I used servo tape(2-sided foam tape) and zip-ties on a PBF I built years ago... It was of course a single layer of coroplast... but it worked just fine. The thing was so cheap (free) I really didn't care... and I was able to pull the servos off with no problem when I needed too.

I've found most coroplast to be 6mm thick, and quite stout really. Good luck.. sounds fun... some crazy stuff can be made out of that coro.
Oct 18, 2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions... I have the motor mounted now, and tank. The FUSE is a 2.5" x 2.5" plastic rain gutter. I have a Magnum 51 on her now instead of the 40. FUSE is 36" long. The wing is 48" wide with a 11" chord.

Throttle, Rudder, and Elev have been installed. RX is in the transmitter as well.

Going to attach the LG and wing temporarily to find my CG
Last edited by SayCheeze; Oct 18, 2017 at 04:11 PM.