Oct 15, 2017, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Widget IOM GBR2388 newly acquired

My friend Ray found this Widget (GBR 2388) for me and I have been sailing it today at Askern near Doncaster.
I've been sailing for 2 years and it's a lot different than my usual Dragonforce or Ranger Footy. Just handling it off the water needs a lot of thought and care.
She needs to spend some time in the boatshed and the sails are shot. However She will make a great Club level IOM.
Here's some pics.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2017, 03:45 PM
John - In my private capacity
Welcome to the IOM group.

Looks like a nice and worth while project - enjoy.

John
Oct 15, 2017, 07:26 PM
The widget is a great boat. They continue to do well even against much newer designs. Good luck with your new boat.

SJ
Oct 17, 2017, 05:36 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the replies guys.
The Widget does seem quite handy for her age.
Here's a clip of me fluffing up the start in the 3rd race. I was hanging back for a flying start, then the wind dropped

IOM Widget GBR2388 (1 min 21 sec)
Oct 17, 2017, 04:14 PM
Will fly for food
We have one in our fleet and it did well last Sunday. Its painted red with a white deck and its named the Radio Flyer with the logo of the red wagon from back in the day.
Oct 17, 2017, 05:36 PM
Having trouble with the Jib going out?
Oct 18, 2017, 04:07 AM
Thread OP
Haha Radio Flyer, I like it.

The Jib swings out fine. It's just getting it to stay out in light air. Ray says that the Jib counter weight is too far forward. One of the many jobs to do.

IOM Widget GBR2388(8) (0 min 26 sec)
Oct 22, 2017, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
I've been doing some work to the bulb over the last few days. The bulb looked like it had been used for Triple "A" target practice. It's now very smooth and ready for it's top coat of paint.
Here's a video with the smooth bulb close hauled and crossing the line first.

IOM Widget GBR2388(5) (0 min 16 sec)
May 20, 2019, 10:07 AM
Gents - new proud owner of 2007 Widget IOM, Dave Creed built Hull #507 (Thanks Nick). If possible, would someone post some of the "go-fast numbers" for A-Rig? I have had it out for some brief trial runs, and would like to start honing in the rig. Thanks, Jim
May 21, 2019, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Hi Jim,

I'm glad you are happy with your new Widget. They are a credible performer, especially where I sail.

Regarding magic numbers. It's difficult to come up with a hard and fast set. It's more a case of finding a core setting that suits you.

I've copied a link to Guildford MYC. They have a workshop section with a sail trimming article. It's written by Peter Stollery. If you follow his advice down to the letter you will find your core setting.

I have a great deal of respect for people like Peter Stollery and their achievements on the water. However, you may find the article a bit hard to decipher. It takes a bit of reading.

http://guildfordmyc.co.uk

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,

Nick.
May 21, 2019, 06:14 PM
Thanks Nick - good reading, and diagrams!

Quick Reply