Need Input re BVM Aggressor II - RC Groups
Oct 15, 2017, 12:24 PM
Discussion

Need Input re BVM Aggressor II

Hi guys!
Some of you may alreay be aware that I have a recently built BVM Aggressor II converted to EDF. I struggled for a couple of years to get everything set up and working. FINALLY I have working semi-custom retracts ( MANY thanks to Mitch Stott at Down and Locked). Here is a list of the set up:
- BVM EVF 2 on 10S
- 2 Dinogy 5S 6600 LiPo packs
- Down and Locked controller and modified electric retracts with fully functional doors all around
- Jeti CB 200 with redundant receivers and packs
- 2 2300 LIFE receiver packs

The issue I am having is weight. (well, actually the jet's AND my own, but that's another story). I recently acquired a XiCoy CG meter. A very cool and helpful item in setting up CG especially for larger planes. I was shocked when I weighed the Aggressor- it came in at 15 pounds!!! When I pick it up it feels very heavy.

So, my question is how many of you have flown an Aggressor at or near this weight and how did it perform?
Can I reasonably expect the plane to fly and land OK? Or should I just remove my equipment and try to sell the airframe? My brother built and painted the plane and it is quite gorgeous. Is there any way to remove weight from the plane? It certainly has been difficult to remove weight from myself!!
Thanks for any help!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2017, 02:01 PM
Mine weighs 15lbs 6oz. Here is a flight with a landing ... it now has brakes and the old wheels with actual bearings are gone

BVM AGGRESSOR II EVF conversion (2 min 55 sec)
Oct 15, 2017, 04:35 PM
Thanks Kevin! Your post does offer me some hope! I watched your video and your AGG seemed to fly very well indeed. It appeared to come in at a reasonable speed, so maybe I will be OK. Will wait for a couple more responses to get some type of consensus and go from there
James
Oct 15, 2017, 04:40 PM
Need 4 Speed!
I'm flying my original BVM Viper at 16lbs for whatever it's worth. The electric systems are simply heavier than the original glow powered versions. Still a blast to fly

Classic BVM Viper (1 min 31 sec)
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Oct 15, 2017, 07:15 PM
deltas are cool
Mitch Stott is the man ,heard nothing but good about his retracts.
Oct 15, 2017, 07:34 PM
Great! Feeling more confident all the time now!
Your Viper looks FAST! Lands nice as well. I need to recheck my CG and weight but maybe able to get a maiden next weekend at our clubs Jet event. We will be flying mostly turbines but maybe give the Aggressor a shot at redemption as well
Last edited by bonefishfool; Oct 15, 2017 at 07:43 PM.
Oct 15, 2017, 07:40 PM
Mitch Stott IS the man.
I cannot tell the entire story, but suffice it to say that Mitch and I have become old friends now. He has spent perhaps 20 hours just on the phone with me helping me get his new graphic interface gear and gear door controller programmed and working properly in the Aggressor.
Not to even mention that he has done multiple repairs for essentially nothing. He turns stuff around in just a day. I live fairly close, but I could send my gear in and have it back in 3 days. I have never seen such dedicated customer support. Mitch and his sidekick Ted are good people. I highly recommend their products and their remarkable support. In fact I also bought a simple controller for the Down and Locked gear in my Electra. It is super simple to install and works flawlessly. I never worry about retract failure with Down and Locked. I failed to mention that he has a machine shop and can customize retracts, which is what he did to make my struts fit the wing mounts and wells on the Aggressor. If it has to do with retracts, Mitch can do it.
Oct 16, 2017, 12:31 AM
deltas are cool
Yeah the Stott's are great people.....i love watching Quain Stotts southeast gasser vids on you tube.they have great passion in what ever they are doing.
Oct 16, 2017, 08:12 PM
As long as we are posting Aggressor video's <g>

BVM Agressor (4 min 11 sec)

This one is a little lighter, 12.5 pounds with a 10S 90mm setup.
Oct 16, 2017, 08:18 PM
Not fair. This is a thread about 15lb Aggressors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris True
As long as we are posting Aggressor video's <g>

https://youtu.be/oxzdz9tdmT0

This one is a little lighter, 12.5 pounds with a 10S 90mm setup.
Oct 16, 2017, 08:32 PM
LOL, advice- BV's aileron throws are too sporty, 1/4" with expo should be available on low. Plenty of flap for landing, 20 degrees is good for takeoff