Carl Goldberg Eagle E Conversion - RC Groups
Oct 14, 2017, 06:54 PM
Discussion

Carl Goldberg Eagle E Conversion

This is a cross post from fuel to electric because no one seems to know. I bought this plane for $10 and almost complete. Should be under 5lbs when done. I will make it electric. Does anyone know the servo type and size needed for electric? Any tried and true motor combos? There are posts for the eagle 2 and have no idea if planes are nearly identical. I'm hoping to use a 32 rimshot with a 4s 5000 lipo. Please bear with me because I know nothing about big wood planes. My planes have always been foamies. Any tips I should be aware of? The parts will come from china. This bird is 47 years old and it will not be doing crazy tricks.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2017, 10:09 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasword71
This is a cross post from fuel to electric because no one seems to know. I bought this plane for $10 and almost complete. Should be under 5lbs when done. I will make it electric. Does anyone know the servo type and size needed for electric? Any tried and true motor combos? There are posts for the eagle 2 and have no idea if planes are nearly identical. I'm hoping to use a 32 rimshot with a 4s 5000 lipo. Please bear with me because I know nothing about big wood planes. My planes have always been foamies. Any tips I should be aware of? The parts will come from china. This bird is 47 years old and it will not be doing crazy tricks.
Any .32 size to .40 equivalent motor from eFlite or Rimfire from Tower will be fine. 4S 5000mah lipoly pack will be great and you should have a relatively good long flight. If you use two servos for the ailerons you can get away with some small servos like the HiTec 5085 MG.

https://www.servocity.com/hs-5085mg-servo

For a medium size high wing trainer you really don't need any large servos. Just find something with 50 or more ounce.inch of torque. You may want to use a standard servo with a bit more torque on the rudder. That is assuming you are going to put a second pushrod to the front for the nose gear steering. Otherwise the control surfaces on An Eagle are not that large and you are not flying 100mph. Keep it light and you will have fun.
Oct 15, 2017, 12:28 PM
As this is not a screamer, this setup would fly it very well.

Motor
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...g32-800kv.html

ESC
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...connector.html

Battery
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0mah-4s-t.html

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0mah-4s-t.html

I am putting this setup in my Canard Stik. This should give way more power than I actually need.

Buzz,
Nov 04, 2017, 01:01 AM
Bring her in
Is this an Eagle 63? 63 inch ws. I assume so. I had an Eagle II, same size, just newer version. It had a FP40 2 stroke. I just used standard Futaba servos. Good power for any conditions and some maneuvers. I suggest building it with the lowest dihedral option, it was plenty stable and self leveling and 4 channel with ailerons, 3 channel would get boring after awhile. I am not an electric power expert but 40 size equivalent would be good. Less would be fine, if you want a slower, more gentle flight, this plane has good lift.
I have a kit to build in the future and plan on going electric but have not started.
Nov 04, 2017, 08:22 PM
Yes this is the first version Eagle 63". The dihedral is already set by previous owner but it is about 4"at the tips while wing sits flat. Looks a bit much since the ailerons are already set up.
I like the price of this one
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...g32-800kv.html
How would it do on 3s 5000? Only because I only have a 2-3s charger. I don't need a screamer and probably won't do much for loops either since the glue is almost 50 years old and still strong.
Nov 04, 2017, 08:55 PM
Bring her in
I'm kinda new to electric but have done some learning. That motor looks good for the lower power range for this plane. The recommended 2 stroke glow engine range is .29 to .45. Rated weight is 4.75 to 5.25 lb. That motor says it's 720 watts, so that is 144 watts / lb, should be more than enough. 3s lipo is 11.1V and the motor is rated 800 kv, so 8880 rpm, thats a little slow but as the motor specs say 13" prop. So it should have a lot of power but not much speed. There is plenty of lift with this plane, so I think you will have a nice gentle flyer. Double check this info and good luck.
Friendly reminder : Make sure the wing is well secured to the fuse and check, adjust as needed, the center of gravity.
Last edited by FlybyDan; Nov 04, 2017 at 09:31 PM.
Nov 05, 2017, 01:59 PM
Just my opinion : but with ailerons I would cut the wing and get rid of almost all of the dihedral , that set up is probably for rudder only and may be a bit hard to turn .
Try it and if you don't like it get an experienced builder to help you cut down the dihedral . then I think you will Enjoy the plane . ( or learn to use the rudder with your turns ) ENJOY !!! RED
Nov 05, 2017, 04:02 PM
Bring her in
Check the manual. This plane has 3 different dihedral building options, the highest dihedral is for 3 channel rudder control and the other 2 are for aileron control. I looked at the manual and it doesn't state any dimensions, it has different dihedral gauges you would use when joining the wing halfs. But if it was built for rudder control it would not have ailerons unless something unusual happened.
Last edited by FlybyDan; Nov 05, 2017 at 04:17 PM.