Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 14, 2017, 05:23 PM
Discussion

Guillows 18" WW1 models by Dumas?

I just noticed these new releases by Dumas. It looks like they re-kitted some of the old Guillows 18" WW1 models.

http://www.dumasproducts.com/index.php?cPath=137_65

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2017, 07:06 PM
I would bet that they are new designs, not Guillows' designs.

Unless by some miracle Dumas bought Guillows.

charlie

PS would be more likely if Guillows bought Dumas.
Oct 14, 2017, 07:28 PM
I eyeballed the structures and compared to original plans. They look the same to me. There are new designs that Guillows didn't kit like the Sopwith triplane, but the others look just like Guillows kits.

Steve
Oct 15, 2017, 06:15 PM
Seem as a bit pricey for an 18" span model IMO.
Wait a bit and Tower will have them on sale at 50% ?
Oct 15, 2017, 07:44 PM
I just ordered the Pfalz from Tower and it was $38.99, not much of a price reduction. I don't think Tower cares much about selling stick and tissue kits, their prices aren't that far off the manufacturers (Dumas or Guillow's.)

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGPZG&P=0

Steve
Oct 17, 2017, 07:40 PM
I received the Pfalz kit from Tower and here's what's inside.

Steve
Oct 17, 2017, 08:22 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
Looks like a nice little model!
Dec 27, 2017, 07:56 PM
Pretty standard construction; Sterling did it the same way, some of the Comet kits too; it doesn't mean they are Guillow's copies. The tripled wing ribs for the interplane struts might be a bit stronger than the Guillow's method. The vacuformed wheels must be a lot lighter. The laser cutting must be a big step up from the old Guillow's kits, that's worth something to me. With rubber power it probably flies just as badly as a Guillow's or Sterling kit. Thanks for showing us the contents.
May 09, 2018, 12:16 AM
I finally built the Pfalz DIII. It was a nice lightweight model before I painted it (1.25 oz) but now it's 2 oz! It can still manage a short flight on a small powerful rubber motor. Probably should have used silver tissue instead of silver dope. It would make a nice micro RC model.

Steve
Dumas Pfalz DIII (0 min 30 sec)
May 09, 2018, 10:36 AM
Excellent work, nice job!
May 09, 2018, 10:58 AM
Great flight!
May 09, 2018, 10:44 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Very nice!!
May 10, 2018, 05:24 AM
Looks great !!! The plane seems to fly good but might need a bit more rubber for a longer flight . I always liked the 18" WW I planes and still have a few of the Guillow"s !8" and 24" kits . The laser cut kits are a real time saver but I don't like the burnt wood lines that telegraph through the covering . Your silver paint took care of that , I like it .

Mike1484
May 10, 2018, 07:02 AM
Guillow WWi rubber powered kits bring back memories. In 1962 I attended Russian language school at Indiana University Blooming ton, Indiana. They had a large field house and three of us students flew these WW1 rubber powered kits at the field house. I choose the SE5 with the longer nose. The other two guys flew other models. Great fun. I attended the school for about 10 months and also flew control line and R/C while at school. Jack
May 10, 2018, 12:56 PM
I tried a longer rubber motor but the nose weight needed to get the CG correct just about cancelled out the benefit. This model is simply overweight, the silver dope is heavy and a lot of it ended up on the tail. It was almost 3/4 ounce lighter before I added paint and details, I should have flown it with bare covering first!

It would make a great electric RC micro scale model with proper gear. For a FF rubber version, silver or gray tissue would have been a better finishing choice.

Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply