Hitec Spectra 2.4J Module for JR 10x xmtr - RC Groups
Oct 14, 2017, 05:54 PM
Question

Hitec Spectra 2.4J Module for JR 10x xmtr

Just was made aware of this product, have a few JR 10X and JR8103 xmtrs great radios for me anyone have any info on the Hitec modules and are they still available from the factory new? Any downers on using them with the companion recvrs (Optima 2.4 GHZ)?

Bob F.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2017, 07:44 PM
They're available, although I don't believe they are still made....I could be wrong. Some show up here on the Radio For Sale Classifieds & on E-Bay. Attached is a link....

Denny

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-29551-...wAAOSwUKxYYKPe
Oct 14, 2017, 09:30 PM

Spectra 2.4J (YorkiePAP)

I have seen that ad, however have some questions about the setup. Any pros or cons about using it? How secure is the link also.

Bob F.
Oct 15, 2017, 02:00 AM
The main cons is latency, there are tons of debates years ago when the system was been launched. 55 ms is not a figure that anyone could be happy to swallow.
Beyond this, link is good, as good as the other half of market that is using same chipset: frsky, graupner, futaba (s-fhss series).
You can't benefit from telemetry, without some serious hack, another drawback, and this is a shame.

All the above are gone if you choose a Frsky module system instead.
Oct 15, 2017, 02:39 AM
most exalted one
Really? Just buy an FRSKY module and get telemetry and low latency?
Oct 15, 2017, 12:34 PM
Ok,need to explain further,Dont want telemetry I fly electric sport planes, have used JR products(8103 and 10x xmtrs for many ,many years) still fly on old frequencies 72FM and now that everyone uses 2.4 have ZERO radio problems, because I am all by myself at the club field. However want to go to flying events but they will not allow 72FM and insist on 2.4 so.....since I have JR products and am very familiar with JR xmtrs wanted to try the Hitec module route heard that it seems to be quite reliable compared to the JR 2.4 units. Don't have a clue about latency could someone please explain how that would impact my sports type flying.
Oct 15, 2017, 01:24 PM
Telemetry will NOT work with these older JR radios. No support for it even if the module supports it.
Oct 15, 2017, 01:27 PM
DONT want telemetry as I stated previously. Tel me about latency though.
Oct 15, 2017, 02:41 PM
most exalted one
Latency never bothered me with my simple sport flying.
I have used many different ppm modules and now fly with a taranis. No noticeable difference to this simple pilot.
Oct 15, 2017, 03:12 PM
Forgive me 4*60 what exactly is latency could you explain to another simple sport pilot? Me !
Oct 15, 2017, 05:12 PM
most exalted one
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/what_is_latency.shtml
Oct 15, 2017, 08:07 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
There are a number of modules available which will work with your radio. The Hitec 2.4GHz module is not one of the better choices as it is a fairly high latency configuration (an issue shared with the module-based Aurora 9 radio). It's also not actively supported by Hitec, and Hitec is no longer a major radio system vendor (they've been eclipsed by FrSky and like JR have become a small player in the radio market. Nice kit, but market changes have left them behind)

The most popular modules for use on older JR radios are the Spektrum DM9 (works with most Horizon hobby BnF aircraft as well as all Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX receivers), the FrSky XJT (works with FrSky's large selection of inexpensive and excellent receivers, and does telemetry) and the FlySky (very cheap, robust, but limited selection of receivers).

There are also a number of other options including JR's own DMSS module. The JR module bay has become the defacto standard for modules of various sorts and pretty much everybody except Futaba and Multiplex support it in some way.

Oh, and telemetry is actually quite useful for sport electrics, since you can get sensors to monitor your packs. Makes it easy to know when to come down, and when you've put that half-charged pack in by accident.
Oct 15, 2017, 08:10 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
Telemetry will NOT work with these older JR radios. No support for it even if the module supports it.
This is not correct for the Hitec, FrSky DJT or XJT or the Jeti R3-based homebuilt modules.

All support external display options for Telemetry that will work just fine with any older radio.
Oct 15, 2017, 09:22 PM
most exalted one
But best to point out external display modules to avoid misleading the newbs.
HITEC has the ability to support telemetry displayed on a laptop/tablet.
Last edited by 4*60; Oct 15, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
Oct 15, 2017, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufordbob
Ok,need to explain further,Dont want telemetry I fly electric sport planes, have used JR products(8103 and 10x xmtrs for many ,many years) still fly on old frequencies 72FM and now that everyone uses 2.4 have ZERO radio problems, because I am all by myself at the club field. However want to go to flying events but they will not allow 72FM and insist on 2.4 so.....since I have JR products and am very familiar with JR xmtrs wanted to try the Hitec module route heard that it seems to be quite reliable compared to the JR 2.4 units. Don't have a clue about latency could someone please explain how that would impact my sports type flying.
Hey Bob,
I use the Spektrum DM-9 2.4Ghz modules on both my JR10X's & NEVER had an issue. I use all Spektrum AR400 & AR600 Rx's & no issues with reliability/connectivity/or range. Like you, I don't need telemetry, although I do use a HK Quanum Low Voltage Telemetry Alarm on my planes that works quite well when one battery cell reaches the lower limit of 3.6V. I also use the 72Mhz band since it is used very little anymore & has great range. My JR10X's have performed flawlessly & over 25yrs old & work like new. No need to change as they do everything I need & more if necessary. Don't be reluctant to try the Spektrum DM-9 module.

Denny

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-p...9-5mhz-fm.html