An RMRC Team Pilot Perspective - Getting into Fixed Wing - RC Groups

An RMRC Team Pilot Perspective - Getting into Fixed Wing

I started out as a fixed wing pilot. I only got into quads a few years ago. Then I realized the FPV and wing craft are a ton of fun! Here an interesting article from ReadyMadeRC about the shift from quads to winged craft from RMRC team pilots.

Splash

Fixed Wing Pilots and FPV

I have been preaching the joy of fixed wing FPV for more than a few years now. While I do fly line of sight, the most fun for me in RC is fixed wing FPV flight. I love it! Here is an article created by RMRC on that very topic...

From ReadyMadeRC:

I asked our team pilots to fill out a questionnaire about their fixed wing experiences & received some very interesting responses to say the least. Let’s dive right in.

Kevin Garland is primarily a fixed wing pilot, but he has some interesting insights for modelers getting into fixed wing flight.

• Q: What fixed wing aircraft would you recommend to a first timer and why?
  • A: Turbine Jet..... In all seriousness a Fly Zone Sensei
  • Q: What is the best tip you can think of to help a new fixed wing pilot?
  • A: Learn to fly LOS before ever attempting goggles. Learn to fly without Gyros. Learn what a rudder does.....
  • Q: What was the first thing you tried to do with a wing that you normally do with a multirotor? Did it work as expected?
  • A: Crash into brick wall going 75 mph.... No the wing broke where my quad only broke one prop. Was piss as hell.... :- )

Team pilots G_Yune & Mr. NoizeFPV are primarily quad pilots & both just got into fixed wings on a whim at an event. They both struggled a bit with a 3D aerobat, but found their groove with the RMRC Recruit.

• Q: What do you like about fixed wing that you do not get out of multirotors?
  • A: G_Yune & Mr. NoizeFPV - Longer flight times
  • A: Mr. Noize FPV - RMRC Recruit super easy to launch and fly
  • G_Yune - Nano Sky hunter or Recruit
  • A: G_Yune - Altitude is your friend
  • Mr. NoizeFPV - Just do it!

Awkbots was a modeler over 17 years ago & got back into the hobby with quads 2 years ago. He is arguably our most famous pilot appearing on ESPN for the DRL Drone Races.

• Q: What was the push to get you into wings (or back into wings)?
  • A: Sponsors sending me free stuff which I quickly got bored of, but then the Strix Goblin came out... that plane alone got me wanting to fly wings for fun.
  • A: RMRC recruit, it’s slow, easy to fly, but more importantly easy to launch. That will get you in the air quickly without the worry of building. Although it will be easy to master quickly , I think it's the perfect introductory plane, that or the RMRC glider
  • A: Super long range flights within LOS, and super high altitude under 400 feet. But hour plus flights give you plenty of time to think about unusual things you wouldn't usually think about.
  • Q: What was the first thing you tried to do with a wing that you normally do with a multirotor? Did it work as expected?
  • A: Well... you can't hover test a wing... unfortunately not taking the time to guarantee that you have set up your plane properly on the maiden launch, and extremely short flight, will result in comedic results (well at least for others)

BK FPV has been flying multirotors for 5 years and also recommends the RMRC Recruit for new fixed wing pilots. He is one of the minority that thinks fixed wings are harder than multirotors to fly.

• Q: What was the push to get you into wings (or back into wings)?
  • A: Long range safe cruising without the fear of losing the expense of a quad
  • A: Long laid back flights, I also find gliding around with low throttle a ton of fun
  • A: Don’t try to yaw and keep the throttle up! You don’t have the same level of control over “oh shoot” moments when flying proximity with a wing

Canadian team pilot NailedUP took a slightly different route getting into fixed wings.

• Q: How long did you fly multirotor before deciding to try out fixed wing?
  • A: 2 months around about with a wood tricopter, David Whiddon asked if I wanted to go faster
  • A: TBRC reflex V2 - Easy transport being a bit smaller. The sound is incredible. Slap on old quads parts from an old build, works perfect.
  • A: The constant speed and sound of wings makes my hair stand up, love it.
  • A: Build a light cheap build using 9 gram servos or stronger (broken servos are a pain). I've flown the recruit from RMRC and that's a winner for newbies for sure.

Itwillbefun also answered the questionnaire but he is a man of few words.

• Q: How long did you fly multirotor before deciding to try out fixed wing?
  • A: 2 years, although still haven't tried fixed wing
  • Q: Chunky or smooth?
  • A: Smooth

Conclusion

Based on the responses, it seems that a clear winner for fixed wing beginners is the RMRC Recruit & hopefully they’ll be back in stock by early December. The main thing to remember is do what makes you happy & always be open to trying new things that might be your next love. I’d like to thank the pilots who took the time to answer on short notice & I hope we can do more fun & insightful articles like this in the future.

Link

Head over to our friends at RMRC to see the article and check out the site.

Oct 15, 2017, 05:44 AM
Clicked in the hope of an interesting read but it's just an advert with no depth.
Oct 16, 2017, 09:29 AM
RMRC Team Pilot
Great read! Thanks!
Oct 16, 2017, 06:47 PM
Professional UAV Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypoos
Clicked in the hope of an interesting read but it's just an advert with no depth.
Yup, just stick a fork in it with the label "advertising".

This really needs to be moved over to a more appropriate location for this kind of "review", I suggest anyone wishing to discuss this type of thread further head over to - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...y#post38465165
Last edited by Redemptioner; Oct 17, 2017 at 06:18 PM.
Oct 21, 2017, 01:26 AM
It says RMRC Pilots.... and the first recommendation from KG, isn't even RMRC, so who is advertising? If I saw a post that said "Fly Fishing Teams" guide to casting and was SURPRISED when they used their name as well as their brand of equipment, well.... I would have to consider myself an idiot to think that wouldn't occur at all, IDK, I mean clearly... they would get Sponsored items for free.... Hence, why would you purchase some other wing if you fly Quads...
Oct 26, 2017, 10:13 PM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!