KRAGUJ - Sparrowhawk balsa profile electric C/L - RC Groups
Oct 13, 2017, 08:07 AM
Discussion

KRAGUJ - Sparrowhawk balsa profile electric C/L

I flew C/L from 1978 till 1993, and switched to RC .

Yesterday, after 24 years, i do it again, with small electric C/L model, scratch built as a remake of one of my models , KRAGUJ - (Sparrowhawk) built from the locally (Former Yugoslavia) produced kit and flew it in my schoolyard.
It looks like this article shows , published in GALAKSIJA (GALAXY) magazine, 1975.

Localy produced kit plans , dated 1975. , styro wing, covered with Samba wood veneer, profile fuselage, samba core with balsa planking, 09 engined Diesel or COX 09.

Re-drawn to recreate this look, and scratch builded past week,

Profile balsa, transparent yellow SoLite covering, 675 mm wingspan, 500 mm length , total 445 grams weight, vastly underpowered ( TP 2406/32 / 8x4 prop /1300mAh 3s Zippy, 11.4m/37ft 0.35mm lines, reminds me to the first , woobly .49 COX CL flights i have.

Wind 3-4 m/s, constant struggle to keep lines spanned, some tow in downwind leg, to keep speed .
Will be re-powered with RC Timer 2830-11, hoping for better speed and more controllable flights.

Ad i was amazed that C/L flying skills are not gone, i do it quite reflexly, after almost of quarter of century .
Videos taken with #16 wide lens keychain hat cam.

KRAGUJ control line model at Čenej - Novi Sad (2 min 2 sec)

Kraguj electric control line model 2nd flight (1 min 38 sec)

RGDS
Nenad
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2017, 12:53 PM
Dobro. OK, I have to ask what Samba wood is.
Oct 14, 2017, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
Dobro. OK, I have to ask what Samba wood is.
Well, here it is known as SAMBA wood, but also known as Obeche or Wawa.

Something like hard balsa wood but ideal for thin veneer slicing .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplochiton_scleroxylon
Oct 15, 2017, 07:29 PM
Obeche was popular for a while to skin foam wings. You don't hear about it much any more. I'll have to get the wife to read the magazine article for me. She is from Gudurica many moons ago.
Oct 16, 2017, 08:48 AM
Yes, Obeche/WAWA/Samba disappeared from model constructions a while ago, don't know why. Was strong, light and easy to work.
Well, that's nice, Gudurica is not too far from my place, nice people there, and that's good that you have someone to translate this article.
Best regards to you and your wife ,
Nenad
Oct 18, 2017, 08:33 PM
You could maybe save some money on a new motor, maybe just shorten the lines a fair bit. Aim for 3 to 4 seconds a lap. It won't come in on the lines in the wind so much.
Oct 22, 2017, 10:18 AM
Having few spare motors, i re-powered this model, with RCTimer 2830-11 and 9x5 prop, with 1300mAh 3s Zippy pack,
Flies much much better, as shown at these short vid's.

Control Line electric , retro look "KRAGUJ" model Flight #16 cam (2 min 27 sec)

Control Line electric , retro look "KRAGUJ" model - flight cam (2 min 53 sec)

RGDS
Oct 26, 2017, 12:04 PM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Very nice....
Oct 26, 2017, 08:26 PM
That is faster than the first try. I like the biplanes in the background.
Oct 27, 2017, 07:04 AM
Yes, Antonov AN-2's, one is Aero Club owned , for Para-Dropping while other are from local crop dusting service.
Despite obsolete look, its really useful and capable airplane.
Oct 27, 2017, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
That is faster than the first try. I like the biplanes in the background.
Yes, around 5 sec/circle, and recalculated with line lengths, gives some 55-60 km/h -35/37 mph
But still no enough power for vertical manoeuvres.
Oct 27, 2017, 12:27 PM
The Antonov top end is 160 mph, sounds very capable to me. Five seconds / lap is a nice speed for a stunt plane, but that is not really a stunt plane. More cells? I don't know if the motor/ESC can handle that.
Oct 27, 2017, 05:52 PM
This little plane was built just to help me re-enter CL flying, being RC flyer mostly in past 20+ years.
I used motor/esc/Lipo's , even radio and tx instead of CL timer , having this RC Electric stuff on the shelf, just to see does it still works for me .
And find that C/L is still attractive even with this simple trainer, and i will go with another project, re-incarnating my first C/L plane ever, Cox Super Stunter , from 1977/78. Already placed some motor and props order on Hobby King , so, this winter i will probably build balsa version of COX BF109 E Super Stunter.