2 minute ALES Practice Timer - RC Groups
Oct 12, 2017, 11:02 PM
Discussion

2 minute ALES Practice Timer

Hello!
In trying to practice ALES rounds by myself, I ran into a few issues.

1. Can't launch plane and start timer at the same time
2. Can't watch timer and fly plane at the same time

The solution then is not a stopwatch; rather it is an audible countdown just as if a buddy was standing next to you calling the time. And the easiest way to have an audible solution is probably an mp3 file that can be played on a huge variety of devices. There are some of these timer mp3 files online but none that I have located seem to fit the bill for me. So I decided to make my own using Apple Text to Speech and Audacity Audio Editor. The advantages of doing it this way are:

1. The file is completely customizable
2. The timing voice will be consistent
3. The whole timing scenario, from preparing for launch to motor off to timing flight to landing and post-landing timing can be heard without accessing the mp3 device (except to start the whole sequence).
4. Other timers can be created using the 2 minute base file - far easier than starting from scratch each time
5. Given that the voice comes from text to speech technology, changing what is said is as easy as changing the original written text file

I have attached my first effort at a voice timer for a 2 minute ALES flight. Can you electric guys take a listen to this to see if this would work and is worth sharing? Open the .zip file and play the mp3 from there. I would be eager to hear any feedback, suggestions or comments, good or bad. Thank you for your time!

Price
to remove ads between posts