Old school wood slope ships - RC Groups
Oct 12, 2017, 11:12 PM
Discussion

Old school wood slope ships

Are there manufacturers left that produce "old school" balsa slope ships? Something like a ridge runt, relatively short wingspan aerobatic gliders?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2017, 11:43 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballreich
Are there manufacturers left that produce "old school" balsa slope ships? Something like a ridge runt, relatively short wingspan aerobatic gliders?
Sig still sells the Ninja.
Oct 12, 2017, 11:47 PM
Ridge Runt, and Ridge Rat plans are on Outerzone.
Oct 13, 2017, 02:52 AM
B for Bruce
Do you specifically want something to build or are you simply looking for a compact slope sport model? If you want to build your own then it's really not all THAT much more time to cut the parts out. Maybe a couple of hours on the build time for something like the Runt.

If you're simply after a compact aerobatic slope model then what about an electric powered WWII fighter of some sort and just replace the motor with some nose weight and don't mount the landing gear?
Oct 13, 2017, 05:57 AM
Person of interest
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
If you're simply after a compact aerobatic slope model then what about an electric powered WWII fighter of some sort and just replace the motor with some nose weight and don't mount the landing gear?
Yip, quick and easy and lotsa fun
My Spit cruisin' in a 12 kt wind - really comes alive in 20 kts.

PSS Spitfire (2 min 27 sec)
Oct 13, 2017, 06:06 AM
Person of interest
Oh yes, by the way, I also love my Ninja

Sig Ninja ridge soaring glider (2 min 23 sec)
Oct 13, 2017, 01:20 PM
B for Bruce
I can see where that Spit would really be great in a little more wind. At 12k it would let you do the odd roll or loop but with a little more it would let you speed up to where it could do some crazy fast and grand flying.
Oct 13, 2017, 10:45 PM
Brett
Ridge Runt kits often come up for sale in the classifieds. I bought one a few years ago.
Oct 13, 2017, 11:37 PM
aka : SteveBB..
Chris Foss's Middle Phase. Better wood than a Ninja and flies in anything. 15mph up to about 50mph. I built this one with a few modifications in 2012, its still in flying condition. Its an old wing section, but does the job. If you're interested I can pm the build log.
Oct 13, 2017, 11:46 PM
Faster is Better
Here's a good one from the 90's, Douglas Aircraft Quicksilver.
Oct 14, 2017, 02:34 AM
Balsa breaks better
There is the Dynaflite Talon.

Joe
Oct 14, 2017, 02:48 AM
That thing almost hit me
I'm building a Talon right now......
Oct 14, 2017, 04:00 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
Nice vids Kiwi...wished we had a site like that here in the flats of Texas!
Oct 14, 2017, 04:05 PM
auto-tune remix
I have two Quicksilvers, one wood, one with the fiberglass fuse. That's a great flying plane.
Oct 14, 2017, 07:09 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. So, for a wood built up slope plane, there really isn't anything currently in production? Does anyone other than me find it interesting that there are quite a few all wood built up TD planes available (GP Spirit, Sig Riser, Altezza, Foxbat, Skybench, M&M Glider Tech.) but no wood slope ships? It's cool that we still have the Sig Ninja (foam wings) and I really like that kit from England Middle Phase (also foam wings). CR is still around but also foam wings. Please don't read anything into this - I just kinda miss that Ridge Runt / Ridge Rat type of slope soaring woodies from that past and am surprised that built up TD ships still rock on, but not slope.