Skyline MX2 recommendations. - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 12, 2017, 06:34 PM
Question

Skyline MX2 recommendations.

Got my new skyline MX2 30cc from general hobby. Conspicuously missing is a manual or CD with a manual on it. If anyone has one I'd greatly appreciate a copy. Also, servo torque and speed recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2017, 06:55 PM
Can't help with the manual but for servo recommendations the Hitec D-645MW is a good start for casual and sport aerobatics, the HS-5585MH would be a good step up from there and something like the D-955TW would be top of the line (but pricey). All up to how your flying style is.
Oct 12, 2017, 07:56 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
Got my new skyline MX2 30cc from general hobby. Conspicuously missing is a manual or CD with a manual on it. If anyone has one I'd greatly appreciate a copy. Also, servo torque and speed recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave
Seems like one thing General Hobby really lacks is their instruction manual. However seems like most of the General Hobby 30cc size 3D aerobatic planes have very similar constructions and moments. It is pretty much only cosmetics that differentiate all the different models.

When I was browsing through their kits I was looking at their 30cc Raven. I have found a little link they put to send you to the instruction manual for a 30cc SBach. Even they mentioned that most of their 30cc planes should build similarly.

http://www.generalhobby.com/skyline-...ane-p-821.html

Scroll down to right before their pictures start. You should see the link there.

I just finished putting together their 30cc Suhkoi SU26 and after looking at the pictures on all their other 30cc planes the construction is definitely very similar. Even their 60 size 3D aerobatic planes are about the same.

You should try to aim the CG location at about the wing tube or right on the rear edge of it. I had my CG in front (heavy engine and reinforced firewall) and needed just a little up elevator trim to hold level flight.

Talk about firewall I think you may want to reinforce it.

Depending on your flying style you can use anything from a small step up of a standard digital servo to the super high end. HiTec makes some good servos for sure.
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Oct 12, 2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Oct 12, 2017, 08:03 PM
Thanks. I fly sport but would like to learn some 3d eventually. I think I need to shoot for 20kg-cm.
Oct 12, 2017, 08:34 PM
It does look like a nice kit. Also from quick measurement of the cowl and firewall, it looks like it is set up for a dle30 or 35 out of the box.
Oct 12, 2017, 09:17 PM
I got the CD with the 70" Skyline Edge 540 I just finished. You're not missing much not having it unless you aren't used to building stuff along these lines.

I agree with the CG on the back of the wing tube - if you are used to flying planes like this. Otherwise, you might want to start closer to the center of the wing tube for your maiden, and work back from there on your own.

The directions for CG, they give you a diagram on how to measure the wing to get 27% MAC, without telling you to just put it on the wing tube.

Agree the 645's will work for sport (150+ oz's), but even then you may want to consider something a little stronger on the rudder if you enjoy the rudder authority required to spend much time on KE.

Make sure you keep that fact this thing shakes like crazy in mind. ALL bolts must have lock nuts, motor mount screws must be installed with SOMETHING that assures they won't loosen (still need to be checked on occasion!), the screw that holds the servo arm on to the servo same story! This is fresh in my mind as I've put 2 planes in over the last 2 seasons for neglecting to be super careful in this respect. One to lost servo screw causing loss of elevator control, the other to a bolt that came out of the elevator linkage allowing the elevator to flutter. Stupid mistakes are EXPENSIVE!
Oct 12, 2017, 09:32 PM
AMA 46133
>> the other to a bolt that came out of the elevator linkage allowing the elevator to flutter.<<

Their Suhkoi came with 2.5mm bolts with nylon lock nuts to hold down their ball links which I thought were quite nice. Too bad the ball links are super tight and my standard reamer didn't fit.

>> Stupid mistakes are EXPENSIVE!<<

I dislike crashing. I just lost the Suhkoi on the 2nd flight because of a very stupid mistake. I used a bad voltage regulator. Not total lost. I salvaged all the hardware. So only lost the airframe which is really not that expensive. Now to find another airframe........
Oct 12, 2017, 09:42 PM
I'm planning high voltage servos and two 2s LiPo batteries with 2 power switches.
Oct 12, 2017, 09:46 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
I'm planning high voltage servos and two 2s LiPo batteries with 2 power switches.
That would work. May as well go with 2 receivers also unless you are using Spektrum.
Oct 12, 2017, 09:51 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Thanks. I fly sport but would like to learn some 3d eventually. I think I need to shoot for 20kg-cm.
I only know ounce-inch so I needed to take time to convert. 20 kg-cm would be good for rudder. Since you will be using one servo per elevator and aileron you can get away with less power. However if you can afford it shoot for the best within you budget. Just don't try to save money by using low quality servos. Those are your muscles.
Oct 13, 2017, 12:46 AM
you have a lot of options on servos, don't overthink it. torque is cheap and any servo north of $35 will be fine. Tanner (Xpress) is a good source for Hitec info. Spektrum also has some good lower priced HV servos that I have used. the one thing you might need some help with is placement and linkage of the throttle servo. I wouldn't worry too much about servo speed as the differences are in the hundredths of a second. have fun....
Oct 13, 2017, 08:47 AM
Not sure how set you are in your high voltage thinking (I wouldn't be in a plane this size), but this servo might be a nice rudder servo option for LiFe power:

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...d-lf-20mg.html

I run dual switch single 2500mah A123 in everything this size and smaller.
Oct 13, 2017, 09:22 AM
the only reason i was leaning towards LiPo was the steeper voltage curve. I was hoping to be able to determine remaining battery capacity by monitoring pack voltage and that doesn't really work on LiFe batteries.
Oct 13, 2017, 09:46 AM
I don't like the idea of trying to monitor LiFe voltage/charge level real time, but have found they're very easily monitored by keeping track of how much capacity you use per flight - as measured by what it takes to fully recharge when you get home after a couple of flights (at first) and building from there as you get to know what YOUR plane uses.

I figure I don't want to use over about 1/2 of the pack's capacity (1/2 of 2500= 1250mah), and 3-4 of my normal kind of hard acrobat/3D flying sessions only use about 1/3 capacity (never over 1000mah to fully recharge, usually under 700mah)! This leaves me pretty comfortable I'm not pushing the batteries limits by any imagination.

Keeping things as light as I can, like using a single battery for instance, let this plane come in at 10lbs 3 oz - incredibly light for a 30cc powered plane this size. That's a big deal here. Lighter ALWAYS flies better.
Oct 13, 2017, 10:00 AM
as one who has multiple planes with LiFe and Lipos, I understand your point, but I'll echo what Al said about checking capacity when you are done. All of my airplanes use redundant batteries. the way around relying on voltage to give you an idea of capacity is to use lots more capacity than you need. Lipos and Lifes are both relatively inexpensive and light. My preference to lipos/HV is one of simplicity, availability, and cost. I use two Pulse 2550s in my 35%, no reason you couldn't use those or something smaller in a 30cc. Tim at Northwest RC sells Pulse and is a great resource for questions.