Oct 12, 2017, 02:03 AM
Remote Controlled Crashes
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Xenon LED Strobes

Found this on banggood, man , they are bright. You can hardly look at them.
There are 2 versions.
One is for maximum 5V and can be connected directly to your receiver.

The other comes in pair, and has voltage regulator, so you can use it with 2-6S battery

Highly recommended for scale airplanes, quadcopters....almost any RC vehicle.

Link to product: https://goo.gl/Ah8nQv

Xenon LED Strobe Flashlightt Daytime Visibility For RC Airplane from banggood.com (3 min 58 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2017, 03:38 AM
ancora imparo
We have used these in our club in a number of planes. Some of us have eyesight that isn't as young as it was!

They are a big help in locating a plane if it has become hard to see, particularly where thin wings are edge on against a glary sky.

In practice I like to use 3 in a triangle under the fuselage with one facing forward and the other two at 45 degrees to the centreline. All round visible and very useful in getting a good idea of height on landing as well.

Just for info there are thee variants:

1) A 5V continuously flashing version - has a two wire lead.
2) A 5V switched version - has a three wires lead and plugs into a spare channel operated by a two position switch for remote on/off.
3) A 2s-6S version with two tubes and a voltage regulator that continuously flashes.

IMO the best solution is a number of the first type run off a standard 5V BEC.

These are rebuilt versions of ones originally built as the flash guns for small disposable camera and phones I believe and unfortunately you cannot modify them simply to alter the physical layout because of the original construction.

The capacitor sticking down from the tube makes them awkward to install in things like thin wings. Otherwise they are a brilliant (sorry ) solution and extremely visible even at long distance.

John
Oct 12, 2017, 04:29 AM
Thread OP
@jj604
thanks for explanation, I didn't know that there is an switched version.
I need to purchase more of these for my next projects
Oct 12, 2017, 05:09 AM
ancora imparo
I just ordered a few more of the 5V switched version.

The more I think about it, the more useful and versatile of the 3 versions they are.
Three of them draw just under 1Amp which is a reasonable load to add on most planes which have a separate external BEC.
You can just connect all the leads in parallel to a single servo plug and connect to a spare channel. Operate it with a switch and you have strobes which can be turned on and off in flight.

This is the switched 5V version.

https://www.banggood.com/Xenon-Remot...l?rmmds=search

John
Oct 12, 2017, 06:03 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
So is it a Xenon flash tube or is it an LED.

And why does the guy in the video call it a "lead"? It is pronounced ell eee dee, darn it.

Reminds me of the time I was getting trained in our new SAP system. The trainer insisted we call it ess ay pee. But when we were learning how to look up the BOM ( Bill of Materiels) she called it a Bomb and we didn't have a clue what she was talking about.
Oct 12, 2017, 07:15 AM
ancora imparo
They are Xenon filled discharge high voltage flash tubes. The LED reference is a total red herring.

As someone who has implemented an SAP Enterprise System you have my sympathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky

And why does the guy in the video call it a "lead"? It is pronounced ell eee dee, darn it.

Reminds me of the time I was getting trained in our new SAP system. The trainer insisted we call it ess ay pee. But when we were learning how to look up the BOM ( Bill of Materiels) she called it a Bomb and we didn't have a clue what she was talking about.
Oct 12, 2017, 07:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky

Hi Mike,

Well, English is not my mother tongue, and we call it like that in Croatia, sorry for that, sometimes I cant't translate from Croatian to English that fast as I am thinking
But I hope you understand.
Oct 12, 2017, 10:23 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
No problem, gcok, different places, different customs, I suppose. But if they are not LED's don't call them leads either.
Oct 13, 2017, 12:14 AM
ancora imparo
Mike, there was a fourth version of these in a package that includes two strobes, a controller and two LEDs (a red and green one) as navigation lights. This is probably where the Xenon/LED confusion arose in whoever writes the Banggood descriptions.

Can't find it anymore but they still sell the two LEDs separately and use the generic "Strobe Flash light" description.

https://www.banggood.com/Xenon-Remot...ft-hotproducts

It is compounded by the fact there are lots of LED flashing systems on Banggood that use a brief high current pulse and are described as strobes.

AFAIK however this is the only tiny system that uses a genuine Xenon flash tube. It has much higher effective brightness and visibility for the same power input than any of the LED systems because of the very brief flash duration.

John
Oct 13, 2017, 10:21 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
All the confusion is becoming clear now.
Oct 13, 2017, 11:58 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
As a general rule, I don't click on link shorteners, they are hiding something.
Oct 13, 2017, 06:20 PM
ancora imparo
Ron, where is the link shortener? I don't see any in this thread.
Do you mean

https://www.banggood.com/Xenon-Remot...ft-hotproducts

That's just RCGroups automatic reformatting of long links as displayed AFAIK. It does it to any URL that is too long. The actual full link is there.

John
Oct 14, 2017, 05:04 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
...only tiny system that uses a genuine Xenon flash tube...
I picked up a couple of these a while back.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

They work fine but what you guys have linked above is probably much better. I make my strobes now with CREE LED's, twice the intensity of the HK unit.

A few of these will get added to my next BG order I think. Nice find.
Oct 14, 2017, 05:15 AM
ancora imparo
I have one of those HK units. Very heavy and clumsy compared with the Banggood strobes however.
They make a single and a twin version.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
I picked up a couple of these a while back.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

They work fine but what you guys have linked above is probably much better. I make my strobes now with CREE LED's, twice the intensity of the HK unit.

A few of these will get added to my next BG order I think. Nice find.
Oct 14, 2017, 05:37 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
..heavy and clumsy..
The lamps are a right pain to install. Worked on a couple mounts but never passed the prototype stage. For a straight flashing strobe these look good and simple.

Quick Reply