Bit off more than I could chew - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 12, 2017, 01:18 AM
Discussion

Bit off more than I could chew

I have been flying blade helicopters for about 2 years on and off had the small ones nano and such went to 230 great flying now keep in mind no 3D just pleasure flying so I decided to get the 270 well just to say I practiced for a week just on the ground didn't want to wreck it so I went out to the farm with a friend and started it up gave some throttle and in a blink of an eye it was about 15ft I probably panicked and tried to bring her down and she went down as fast as up got about $90 in repairs coming. So with that being said and please be gentlemen I know I messed up but what exactly did I do wrong and how can I avoid this in the future I am a ex Army vet who really finds great therapy in these little contraptions
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2017, 03:15 AM
Heligamist
I would suggest you set your pitch curve to include only a small bit of negative pitch while learning. This will keep you from dropping the throttle suddenly (and also the pitch) in a panic which slams the heli into the ground. Something like 40-50-60-70-80 if you want some off the top end as well. If not then something like 40-50-60-80-100.
Oct 12, 2017, 06:11 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
yep, a pitch curve with a shallower slope will help soften collective response. Running slightly lower headspeed has a similar effect.

You might also try a simulator I find them boring to use but they are helpful.
Oct 12, 2017, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the information taking to the shop now hope to be flying soon
Oct 12, 2017, 12:24 PM
+1 for the simulator (along with the other suggestions)
Oct 13, 2017, 09:39 AM
You can find free sime online and cheap cables to mate your tx to your pc.
You did nothing wrong. Well, you ventured on to full cp helis and are trying more things now! We've all been there. This is why heli flying is a niche and only the most dedicated persevere in the hobby.
There's nothing easy about it.
Oct 13, 2017, 07:02 PM
I went ahead and bought real flights 7.5 and controller does anyone know if a DX9 will work with the sim
Oct 13, 2017, 07:04 PM
This is very true thanks for all the comments and if anyone lives in the Cleburne to area I have a 200acre farmland looking for a person or persons that would like to fly
Nov 04, 2017, 03:40 PM
Today is a good day to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronedude1974
I went ahead and bought real flights 7.5 and controller does anyone know if a DX9 will work with the sim
The DX9 will work just fine, using an old DX6i myself. The AR7210BX has a mi rad of settings to help soften things, sadly you're locked out of some unless you buy the cable and upgrade the firmware, about another 100 bucks. That said, I found it worth while to upgrade it. You can upload the manual for the AR for free at https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...-Manual-EN.pdf
Nov 11, 2017, 06:18 PM
Was a bit confused you said set pitch curve to 40 50 etc but I am currently set at 0 25 50 etc why would I start out at 40 would that be more aggressive?
Nov 11, 2017, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronedude1974
Was a bit confused you said set pitch curve to 40 50 etc but I am currently set at 0 25 50 etc why would I start out at 40 would that be more aggressive?
Those numbers are percentages, with 50 being the middle (zero pitch if the heli is set up right). So a linear pitch curve (0, 25, 50, 75, 100) means if you pull the collective all the way down, the heli has maximum negative pitch and if it's right side up you'll slam it into the ground. This is what you want for stunt flying but not usually for sport flying. (40,45,50,75,100) gives you a little bit of negative pitch available (so you can fight the wind when it's trying to lift the heli), but won't slam it into the ground too badly if you pull it all the way down.

What's best is to land it _without_ pulling the collective all the way down. Instead, land it with rotors running at slight negative collective, then hit the throttle cut switch. But even if you do that, using a (40,45,50,75,100) curve is more forgiving of error.
Nov 11, 2017, 11:30 PM
Thank you very much for taking the time out to respond I got the bird all back together just binded and going to do some throw checks for the next week before I mess up again like the say in aviation if you think it’s good check it again
Nov 15, 2017, 05:56 AM
I agree with what's been said about making the pitch curve "softer", but you probably also need to get used to being more gentle on the throttle stick. My initial foray with a T-Rex 500 was similar to yours -- shoot up into the sky, lose orientation and panic, then spend 70 on repairs

But after that episode I fabricated a training undercarriage add-on (helps prevent it tipping over if you come down too hard) and learned to be very gentle on the throttle/collective stick. After half a dozen sessions hovering about 1ft to 2ft off the ground, I could hold it there for a full battery, and land in a controlled manner, and felt confident enough to remove the training gear. When learning you need some negative pitch so that you can stop it pitching up when there's a gust of wind; -3 degrees, as recommended by Align for my model, seemed about right for me.