Updating a DIY drone to a GPS controller - RC Groups
Oct 12, 2017, 12:07 AM
Discussion

Updating a DIY drone to a GPS controller

I have a 250 Quad that I generally fly line of sight. I'd like to convert it to a GPS/Barro stabilized platform so that I can fly it let go of the sticks an have it stay. There are lots of controllers out there that have GPS built in. Which ones should I consider?

Tony
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2017, 07:35 AM
Hello Tony!
Check this one:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...for-navigation

It's actually designed for GPS and navigation usage, pretty hassle-free connection and usage. Depending on available free space on your frame it could be an appropriate choice.
Oct 12, 2017, 10:41 AM
That's pretty big, and I don't need the ESCs built in. I imagine that on any one of my options, the GPS antenna will be an external antenna, right?
Oct 15, 2017, 06:12 PM
Are there any good controllers out there that have GPS built into the controller? I have an old Naze32 that I know that I can add to, but I'm looking for something more recent that hopefully has the GPS built in.
Oct 16, 2017, 09:15 PM
No controller will have GPS actually built into the controller. For GPS flight, you also need a magnetometer (compass) so it can know what direction it's pointed. Typically, the mag will be integrated into the GPS board so both can be located a distance from the rest of the electrical components (ESCs, power distribution board, camera and, to a lesser extent, the flight controller) that emit electrical interference.

Adding GPS to a 250 class quad shouldn't be too difficult. Here's a cheap unit I've used without issue: https://www.banggood.com/UBLOXNEO-M8...l?rmmds=search

This and a flight controller that supports iNav (and has SCL and SDA pins broken out to connect the mag in the GPS board) will get you up and running. Alternatively, an old APM or newer Pixhawk-compatible board would work as well.

I love having GPS and put them on almost all my quads. It's nice to be able to just drop the sticks or flip a switch and have it hold position while I put FPV goggles on or take them off, or just let it fly itself home and land itself.
Oct 16, 2017, 10:51 PM
I kinda thought that was going to be the case, so I ordered a Crius GPS. What firmware is better for GPS; Cleanflight, or Betaflight?
Oct 20, 2017, 09:37 AM
I'm also looking to do something like this with some spare parts I have lining around.
Which FC would work well with that GPS Unit?

Thanks
Oct 21, 2017, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla
I kinda thought that was going to be the case, so I ordered a Crius GPS. What firmware is better for GPS; Cleanflight, or Betaflight?

After doing some research these seems to be a good combo to start with

Omnibus F3 clone
Omnibus F4 clone

Ublox NEO-M8N Flight Controller GPS
Holybro Ublox NEO-M8N GPS Module
Holybro Micro M8N GPS Module
Oct 24, 2017, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafu02
After doing some research these seems to be a good combo to start with

Omnibus F3 clone
Omnibus F4 clone

Ublox NEO-M8N Flight Controller GPS
Holybro Ublox NEO-M8N GPS Module
Holybro Micro M8N GPS Module
If you have an interest at some point in playing with autonomous flight modes - flying waypoint missions, make sure the flight controller is supported by iNav.
Oct 24, 2017, 03:11 PM
good advice
Nov 05, 2017, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla
OMG, thats like an 6 yo iPhone, send it back. If you want advice, try and gather more data, before you buy.

Also, If you look at the docs, neither Cleanflight or Betaflight are for GPS.
Nov 05, 2017, 12:47 AM
Sadly, I don't think dronin, APM, pixhawk, iNav etc are at the level of DJI.

DJI is cheaper than DIY, so the field has been stagnant. Unless I'm missing something. DIY can be cheaper *if* you accept a lower level of performance.