Control Line Video/Pics - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 11, 2017, 08:44 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
Discussion

Control Line Video/Pics

After checking and not readily finding one, I figure we could use a "Give us Your Best Shot" Pic and Video thread here, for Control Line...
Here's a vid from yesterday using a prototype wrist-cam while flying a 40 year old Ringmaster.
70's era Fox .40 CL engine that runs well.
Other notes in Youtube description...

Cheers - Peter

Vid Here.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2017, 11:38 PM
Just so I understand the point of the thread...you are looking for video of control line flying?
I've got a couple hidden somewhere. Give me a day or so.
Oct 14, 2017, 08:28 AM

On disabled list, second-stringer called into action

Yup, that's the long and short of it. Great, the more Vid and Pics, the better.
On Thursday, I took a couple of flights with the Ringmaster before getting the cameras set up.
Well, I pancaked out of a wingover on a second, unrecorded flight and first pics show aftermath. I estimate a four hour fix, start to finish.
So, last eve I dialed in a Goldberg Buster I have never flown, yet, for flying today - second pics.
I have 2 808 keychain video cameras to put on the plane, itself. No crashing, today. I hope.

Cheers - Peter...
Oct 14, 2017, 10:11 AM
Turn-n-Burn!
This is my YouTube channel

Chronicles of a Ringmaster!! (16 min 19 sec)
Oct 14, 2017, 10:42 AM
Excellent add - subscribed to your channel - you're a busy video'er... I like your vid style. Bring em' on!....
Oct 14, 2017, 06:19 PM
Got a lot of flights in on the Goldberg Buster.
On last flight, 66% of my loops came out well.
Buster is going to need some TLC to get airborne, again.
Engine ran fine but effects of a twisted wing can be seen in vide whenever the lines got a little soft - inner wing wants to rise and outward wing wants to drop.
Wing video HERE
Goldberg Buster Control Line - 66% Successful Loop Rate (1 min 35 sec)
Oct 14, 2017, 11:55 PM

A different flight, a different view.

I am sorting through video for the day, and here's a wrist-cam vid of the first-ever flight with this plane, from today. The Keychain 808 #16 camera is set and forget, as in you really don't know what you have til you load it on your computer. It was sitting pretty low, but it did catch most of the flight.

First Goldberg Buster Flight - first take off and sort-of landing, ever. (4 min 19 sec)
Oct 15, 2017, 07:22 PM
Not sure what you want. Here is an FAI Team Race. Definately not me, but pretty good entertainment. My stuff would be pretty boring, and I don't know how to get stuff on Youtube.
Control Line F2C W/C Perth 2016 (7 min 54 sec)
Oct 15, 2017, 08:25 PM
Just how does one get into that branch of the hobby/sport/obsession???
One thing, they sure have a big audience...
I bet one of their engines costs more than my whole plane collection.
Plus, you have to have a pit team... that doesn't gooch things up - that's dedication.

If you have a Google account - like a gmail account, you can just upload .mp4 videos to your Youtube "channel."
You have a channel by default, look for the little up arrow up in the top part of your screen in Youtube.
My GoPro records .mp4, but my keychain 808 cameras record in .mov, which have to be converted to .mp4 before uploading.
I use a free converter, Freemake Video Converter to convert the .mov's to .mp4 format.
If you want to edit, that's a different thing - GoPro has its own "Suite"
MS Windows uses Movie Maker to edit. The basic editor in Mac is iMovie.
Last edited by PGregory; Oct 15, 2017 at 08:31 PM.
Oct 15, 2017, 10:44 PM
I never flew the team race. Just the FAI Speed. You just buy the stuff, and fly. To compete, you join the FAI ass'n much like AMA. Here is video of the speed planes. A bit more refined from when I did it around 1980. and about 30 mph faster now. I think a motor might be $800, and a plane can be made cheaply from basswood, or bought for $1,000 I would guess in carbon fibre. I fly the F2D combat planes, just on my own. They are about $50 each, bought in 10 packs usually. The motors are $350 now, but an LA .15 or any cheap .25 will work fine to play around with. As for cost. What do most people put into their 1/4 scale planes with 6 servos at $100 each, and the DA motors.... Just a different game.
2015 European Championships for Control Line Model Aircraft F2A Gold Medal Winning Team Flights Rev1 (7 min 19 sec)
Oct 15, 2017, 11:15 PM
Another club member and I have been getting our acts together to do OTS. I think we may get a few more "joiners" to the interest - everyone seems to have some kind of CL plane around, or access to one. This may lead to combat, we'll see where the momentum goes. I'd like to get a night for ad-hoc control line, get back to old time fun. I know the competition guys have to be intense, but it all started laughing out loud in the middle of a circle at the preposterous proposition of spinning around. Things always lead to competition - it helps everyone get better, too. Good share. I think many flyers like getting a taste of feeling the plane on the end of lines you actually control, yourself. I know I do.

In that video - do the pilots turn the engine off? looks like they tweak the lines to interrupt the fuel.
Oct 16, 2017, 12:14 PM
Yes, there is a shutoff. A fairly simple spring loaded wire that pulls off of a step when full down is given. There is normally a thin wire from the pushrod that goes to it. The team race planes have that too. The speed planes use is mandatory now because of noise complaints in Europe, but it saves time at contests, and actually saves motors from lean run meltdowns. The combat planes have a shutdown feature too, in case the plane detaches from the lines, as it sometimes happens. There is a weight on a wire that is spring loaded which is normally closed and only opens when centrifugal force opens it. Now they need a shutoff too. Most guys just ditch it at 100 mph, but there is a new switch where you shake the plane and it also has the other feature too. They all pinch the fuel line or close off the fuel.
Oct 16, 2017, 04:02 PM
Turn-n-Burn!
Brodak Firecat Enya .19 engine run (2 min 37 sec)
Oct 16, 2017, 08:46 PM
Brodak Ring ARF, LA25, Flyathon weekend
2017 Flyathon 2nd Flight (5 min 49 sec)
Oct 16, 2017, 09:39 PM
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGregory
After checking and not readily finding one, I figure we could use a "Give us Your Best Shot" Pic and Video thread here, for Control Line...
Here's a vid from yesterday using a prototype wrist-cam while flying a 40 year old Ringmaster.
70's era Fox .40 CL engine that runs well.
Other notes in Youtube description...
What's the purple cylindrical something on the ground in front of the inboard wing? It looks like a really odd starting battery device! I don't use a speedy computer on forums, just an old clunker, on which I seldom try running videos . . so I'm looking at stills.

Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Oct 16, 2017 at 09:45 PM.