Buddy box question for an orig. DX7. . . . - RC Groups
Oct 11, 2017, 06:51 PM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
Help!

Buddy box question for an orig. DX7. . . .

Hi, my son is at the stage where he's going to start on a beginners plane, and I wanted to buddy box him, I have the original Spectrum DX7 and have been out of touch with it all for a while. I see the DX7's are different now, my question is,,,, is there a spectrum I can buy now that will buddy to my DX7, I see it uses a jack plug, as I use it on Phoenix simulator with this. Thanks matt.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 08:10 PM
You can use anything other than the DX6e. It does not have a buddy cable port.

If you were to get something like the DX8G2 then you could use the DX7 as his radio, the DX8 as your radio, and not even need to have a cable between them - the DX8 can use the Wireless Trainer function instead of a wire between them.

It works with any DSM2 or DSMX transmitter as the student/slave radio.

Andy
Oct 11, 2017, 09:06 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeMatty
Hi, my son is at the stage where he's going to start on a beginners plane, and I wanted to buddy box him, I have the original Spectrum DX7 and have been out of touch with it all for a while. I see the DX7's are different now, my question is,,,, is there a spectrum I can buy now that will buddy to my DX7, I see it uses a jack plug, as I use it on Phoenix simulator with this. Thanks matt.
Matty,

If up to 6 channels with no mixing is sufficient, you can get a DX5e with a mono cable (or the Spektrum trainer cable which is really nice with the 90-degree connector ends).

I can also offer a DX5e without the RF deck and antenna for use as a wired buddy box or sim controller for only $5 plus shipping.

Ivan
Oct 11, 2017, 09:40 PM
Oh wow, I'm glad I asked the question now, the dx8 idea sounds like a good idea, give him the seven and keep the eight. Thanks for the dx5 idea too, I have a friend who's getting the bug and I think a Phoenix sim and one of your radios is a great idea. I'll hit you up after catching up with him again. Matt.
Oct 11, 2017, 11:25 PM
Crikey see the price of a dx8,,,,, Ivan I'll send a pm later. Haha.
Oct 13, 2017, 09:23 AM
Matty,
You can use any older xxMhz JR radio as a buddy box to a Spektrum radio. In my area, you can hardly give them away
Also, if you never use more than 6 channels with your present DX7, than the DX6e is a very good option. Other than one less channel, the DX6e is a much more capable radio than the original DX7. With a DX6e as your new master radio, you could then use the DX7 as a wireless slave. I've been using a DX6e for wireless training and would never want to go back to a cable setup
Pete