Pairing TH9X transmitter with ia6c Reciever - RC Groups
Oct 11, 2017, 06:15 PM
Discussion

Pairing TH9X transmitter with ia6c Reciever

Hi guys

Im trying to build a lil vtail quad from a quark 130mm vtail from armattan. All of my old equipment and FC were defunct so ive been in the process of updating every thing. I have a th9x transmitter and it was advised that i bought a newer RX. I was linked to an tgy-ia6c RX and was told ot will work.

So i bought the new RX trusting in the advice i got but i cant seem to get it to bind with my th9x transmitter. In fact im getting two diifferent stories now. One that it will work and a bunch saying its nit compatible.

If they are not compatible.....

Is there a difference between the TGY-i6 and the FS-i6
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 08:23 PM
treefinder
Nope, the difference is between the th9x radio with the original module (if that is what you have) which uses the FlySky afhds v2 protocol and both of the RXs you mentioned which are the newer FlySky afhds2a protocol. The difference is all the newer FlySky TX and RX that have i in their names have integrated telemetry that makes them incompatible with the old protocol. So far all of the new TXs are backwards compatible, i.e. can be reset to use V2 receivers. I recently got a fsi6 TX with fsia6 RX (for $36 plus shipping) from banggood on a lark just to see how good it is ( it is amazingly good for the price).

If you have an original 9x radio and module you will want a receiver like this: 3 channel https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-F...l?rmmds=search

Or this 6 channel https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-F...ytogether-auto
Oct 11, 2017, 08:25 PM
A tgy-ia6c uses the newer FlySky AFHDS 2A protocol and will not work with the stock module in the th9X which uses the older FlySky AFHDS protocol.

To use the newer RXs you need a different module. There is a FlySky AFHDS 2A Module available from Banggood. But also the iRangeX "4in1" module supposedly supports the FlySky AFHDS 2A (it may need re-flashing with the latest Multi firmware and if you have stock th9x firmware you will have to use it in PPM mode)

I am unclear if either of those modules is FCC certified and legal to use in the US so use you own judgment. This is probably a better solution than an i6 given you already have the th9X which is a much nicer TX than the i6.

The TGY-i6 and FS-i6 are essentially the same. You might also consider the FlySky/iRangeX i6X. These are great value but definitely on the cheesy side as far as build quality.

I would not get an i6S since that is intended for multirotor only and does not have elevon/vtail mixing and very limited free mixes.
Last edited by pressalltheknobs; Oct 11, 2017 at 08:32 PM.
Oct 11, 2017, 09:09 PM
Its actually the th9xb radio with the removable module that with it. But i looked at it and it is afdhs-1 not two.

What i would like is an sbus reciever that will bind to my th9x. To save weight and less wire
Oct 11, 2017, 09:24 PM
Would that do?
https://www.banggood.com/FLYSKY-Ultr..._content=sandy
Oct 12, 2017, 12:38 AM
Ok when i recieved my TGY-IA6C RX, i tried to bind it to my TH9X. To do power i used a lipo running through a bec using the provided wires. But i never could fet it to light up. Please take in mind im used to regualar TX RX systems. Is it only gonna light up if its bound?

Well darn i just packed away my th9x and updated to an i6.

Ok can you explain somethinb to me. My th9x radio says its ppm which i thought was a 3wire system like sbus but in all the videos they are still wiring all the usable pins. So im confused. Can you explain in humanese what these other options are. I know pwm and tgats it.
Oct 12, 2017, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhjoker
Ok when i recieved my TGY-IA6C RX, i tried to bind it to my TH9X. To do power i used a lipo running through a bec using the provided wires. But i never could fet it to light up. Please take in mind im used to regualar TX RX systems. Is it only gonna light up if its bound?

Well darn i just packed away my th9x and updated to an i6.

Ok can you explain somethinb to me. My th9x radio says its ppm which i thought was a 3wire system like sbus but in all the videos they are still wiring all the usable pins. So im confused. Can you explain in humanese what these other options are. I know pwm and tgats it.

The th9x is a module radio. It uses a PPM signal to talk to the module. PPM essentially combines the PWM signals for each channel into a serial frame that can be sent on one wire. In the past PPM was used to directly modulate the radio signal sent to the receiver but with 2.4 MHz that is no longer the case and the PPM frame is converted to a digital packet where the PWM lengths are encoded as numbers. This digital packet is what is sent over the RF link. That is what AFHDS and AFHDS 2A do. However they do not do it in quite the same way so are not compatible. The receiver receives these packets and converts the numbers back to PWM pulses. Some receivers also convert the packet to a PPM frame or an SBUS data packet which are typical interfaces for multirotor flight controllers. I believe the TGY-IA6C does that although I have heard the SBM implementation is not that great.

Like I said, to use the TGY-IA6C with the th9x you will need a different module.

Another module option is a FrSky XJT. It won't work with the TGY-IA6C but FrSky have one of the best ranges of RXs

Lastly, if you are really considering upgrading you radio you should really consider a Frsky Q-X7. It has a XJT module built in. Plus you can use the AFHDS module from your TH9X in the module bay if you have a few of the older AFHDS rxs that you want to continue using.
Oct 16, 2017, 06:54 PM
Ok can some one explain to me why these new 4in1ESC’s have no BEC? It doesnt make since to me. The whole point of a 4in1 is to cut down on wiring and weight and stuff. It kind of defeats the purpose when you have add the weight right back by using another component that just makes weight go back up plus it adds extra wiring by having to add a pdb or solder the more wires to the esc.

Do they make smaller BEC’s or something. Mine is like 40x20x5 and weighs a good 15g