Magnetic Current Sensor (SBUS2) - RC Groups
Oct 11, 2017, 04:55 PM
RC expert
New Product

Magnetic Current Sensor (SBUS2)

Finally the new "Dual-Magnetic E-FuelGauge" is ready I actually also made a single-version..

This is a magnetically coupled current sensor for SBUS2 systems with mAh-integration and voltage measurement. The "dual" concept was conceived for large drones with parallel batteries. Something that is unusual for RC models where a higher voltage (series batteries) is more suitable. For these large drones (and models!) safety is critical, and it is therefore desirable to measure the current without cutting or soldering any wires.
However! You still need to find a way to get the wire through the loop.. which means that it either must be installed during building, or something has to be resoldered to install.
The total accuracy is generally less than that of an integrated sensor solution, because the actual position of the wire being measured can influence the magnetic field. The repeatability from flight to flight is similar, though.

Main features:
  • Only SBUS2 is supported at the moment
  • Two independent current and mAh counters
  • Flexible installation, no soldering and the sensor can slide along the wire..
  • Current and mAh accuracy typically <5%, depending on installation
  • Current only limited by AWG. Typical sensor gain is 200A
  • Measures pack voltage.
  • Includes the FER:Link feature from the E-FuelGauge, enabling RSSI alarm on TX
  • Silencing alarms using DG1 channel
  • Single version is identical, but with only one channel
  • Dimensions 28 x 40 x 8.5 mm, sensors 18 x 22 mm
  • Uplink slot can be changed, so a total of 4 units can coexist

Single version:

The custom made toroid sensor is built with an Infineon Hall sensor, and easily takes up to 8AWG wires.

Comments and questions are welcome
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 05:02 PM
Tom, I see it's for S-Bus only right now, but will you be supporting that for Spektrum like your other sensors? We have the dual sensor message ready for you to use.

Andy
Oct 11, 2017, 05:24 PM
RC expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Tom, I see it's for S-Bus only right now, but will you be supporting that for Spektrum like your other sensors? We have the dual sensor message ready for you to use.
I actually never did make a Spektrum compatible sensor This unit does have an I2C interface, so there is less excuse. However, I think there are already so many nice sensors available for Spektrum.. It does sound interesting with the dual sensor message, though
I should make a poll
Oct 11, 2017, 05:42 PM
I would like to see it. Our sensor SPMA9605 only provides a single channel, but the message it generates is for dual. The radio will automatically show the second channel if the data is populated, the same as we do for the PowerSafe receivers vs. SPMA9604.

Andy
Oct 12, 2017, 11:03 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsdk
I actually never did make a Spektrum compatible sensor
good boy !
Oct 13, 2017, 06:51 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsdk
I actually never did make a Spektrum compatible sensor This unit does have an I2C interface, so there is less excuse. However, I think there are already so many nice sensors available for Spektrum.. It does sound interesting with the dual sensor message, though
I should make a poll
It's a good deal at $75. I would buy that if you had for Spektrum. I prefer the Hall Effect method.