Mars NOVA - Drone Parachute Radio - RC Groups

Mars NOVA - Drone Parachute Radio

Check out this cool new Drone Parachute Radio System from Mars Parachutes. NOVA is available on Kickstarter right now.

Splash

Added Safety for Drone Pilots

Flying anything has inherent risk and drone pilots carry more risk than normal by flying in locations near people or property. You don't want to be the one who crashed a drone into a building, car or person. That's what led Glen Rineer and Kevin Kropp, owners of Mars Parachutes, to create safety parachute systems for drones. Mars started in 2012 and quickly became the leaders in drone safety. Mars Parachutes strives for perfection so much that they make each product in their shop located in Brea, California. Using the latest technology and machines, Mars is able to stay on the front lines with their testing and prototypes.

Fast forward to today and Mars is developing the NOVA parachute radio for drones. They believe that the FAA wants safer systems for flight over people waivers which could include manual and auto deployment parachute systems and possibly a flight termination system (which is in the works too by the way.) NOVA provides the ability to manually deploy a parachute. It's small and easy to use and works for any drone with a servo actuated safety system. It actually works for any servo based system like drop boxes, retracts, etc, but drone parachute deployment is the primary use.

The tiny radio system uses 2.4Ghz and has a range of .67 miles. It uses an internal battery, charged by USB, that lasts for 48 hours when active. The transmitter is small enough to fit on the back of your control radio or clipped to your belt or anywhere convenient. To deploy the parachute it takes a long click and then a second double click, that way you can't accidentally deploy when you didn't mean to.

Mars decided to launch the NOVA via crowdsourced funding on Kickstarter and the project is now live. They have an Early Bird Special for $65 to be one of the first to receive the NOVA radio system.

Check out the NOVA Drone Parachute Radio Kickstarter Page Here

Oct 11, 2017, 11:27 PM
Professional UAV Services
Seems like a complete waste of time, no parachute, another radio system, short battery life that's not replaceable and only charges via usb, seems way larger than it needs to be and adds additional 2.4G interference..... Why on earth would you use this over a traditional radio link that you already have on the UAV??

At $110USD I can buy 2 complete radio setups with much more capability, or for $15 I can add a PPM button to a cheap orangeRX or turnigy TX module and it would be half the size and twice the range......oh wait the RX is clearly Turnigy/HK
Oct 12, 2017, 01:11 AM
Already debated in the past that a parachute has no enough time to deploy if altitude is less than 30 meters, or platform is reversed, for example...
Indeed a fake niche product that nobody isn't interested into, just manufacturers that continue to push it.
Oct 12, 2017, 05:52 PM

Nova radio height requirement

Hi Renatoa,
I want to start off by saying thank you for your comment.
You do have a valid point about the Minimum height reccomendation; we recommend minimum manual deployment height at 85ft, so that the pilot can respond fast enough to deploy the parachute when detecting a problem from normal flight. This Nova radio system is more of a (deploy at Will System) so if you find yourself coming up to a situation and know there is a problem coming you can be ready and can actually deploy as low as 40 feet. The Nova radio is a actually a good addition to our Mayday Board (auto deployment system) which detects a problem within .400 seconds and sends signal to the parachute system which deploys within .350-.450 seconds. So everything happens in less than .850 seconds.

The Nova radio and Mayday Board will be a great combo along with the addition of the Flight termination system (coming in Mid 2018). Flight termination system will help keep people safe in a fly away situation so you can terminate the flight before flying into a person or Crowd.

We have a lot of Fixed wing users that do not want to land their Aerial mapping Foam planes on the ground since they have expensive cameras on the bottom. So they like to fly them low and deploy the parachute before touching the ground this keeps from dragging the bottom of the craft. The majority of manufactures (DJI, Autel, Yuneec, parrot) do not allow extra channels on most models. We Also believe the FAA will require a parachute system with the following (Auto deployment, Manual Deployment and Flight termination system) for the latest Flight over people waiver. We have several companies contact us daily trying to get their company approve for flying over people waivers and they want to remain

I agree this product is not for everyone. We are only a team that offers safety products to those that want or need them.

Glen Rineer
Mars Parachutes
Last edited by quad master; Oct 12, 2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: forgot name
Oct 12, 2017, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
Seems like a complete waste of time, no parachute, another radio system, short battery life that's not replaceable and only charges via usb, seems way larger than it needs to be and adds additional 2.4G interference..... Why on earth would you use this over a traditional radio link that you already have on the UAV??

At $110USD I can buy 2 complete radio setups with much more capability, or for $15 I can add a PPM button to a cheap orangeRX or turnigy TX module and it would be half the size and twice the range......oh wait the RX is clearly Turnigy/HK
Hi Redemptioner,
Thank you for your comment.
The battery Life on the Transmitter is about 48 hours while in use. You can recharge it in about an hour. I was not sure if you came across that info on our kick-starter page. The majority of manufactures (DJI, Autel, Yuneec, parrot) do not allow extra channels on most models and many customers do not want to buy a secondary radio that is just as big as the stock radio. so that is why we came out with the Nova. We thought about making it smaller but we discovered that it is harder to hold with one hand. The size and design we came up with is what we felt would be most comfortable. which is 75% of an IPhone3.

Glen Rineer
MarsParachutes.com
Oct 12, 2017, 06:39 PM
Here is the Kickstarter video for those who want more information on our system.
Mars NOVA on Kickstarter (1 min 44 sec)
Oct 13, 2017, 07:43 AM
FA3PR9WM79
IMNSHO you need to drain your think tank and start again. I agree with Redemptioner and renatoa. Why should I buy this "device" when I can assign a switch on my radio to an open channel? And besides that, to use this device I have to take one hand off of my radio. That is just plain stupid. This is nothing more than a gimmick wrapped in hype and hysteria.
Oct 13, 2017, 07:58 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
IMNSHO you need to drain your think tank and start again. I agree with Redemptioner and renatoa. Why should I buy this "device" when I can assign a switch on my radio to an open channel? And besides that, to use this device I have to take one hand off of my radio. That is just plain stupid. This is nothing more than a gimmick wrapped in hype and hysteria.
With all due respect, if you feel the need to not buy this, then simply do not purchase this item. This item is certainly not a gimmick, as it has multiple real world applications that can benefit many - especially those that don't have open channels to use. If you can assign an open channel to your Tx, then this is not a device that's needed, because if you wanted to use a parachute recovery system, you would simply utilize an open channel.

I disagree with "hype and hysteria" - any drone based system on the market required to operate over people should have a backup system in case failure takes place. I have been flying RC aircraft long enough to have seen multiple incidents take place that had zero bearing on user error and were directly related to aircraft failure. This becomes a MASSIVE deal when it ends in a several pound object falling from the sky and injuring someone.
Oct 13, 2017, 08:30 AM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
I disagree. First off you can't just assign a switch to an open channel on something like a DJI Inspire 2. I see this going in the hands of the Visual Observer that is required for commercial operations which this device is clearly aimed at for getting the over people waiver. This isn't designed for the average hobbyist.
Oct 13, 2017, 09:24 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
I disagree. First off you can't just assign a switch to an open channel on something like a DJI Inspire 2. I see this going in the hands of the Visual Observer that is required for commercial operations which this device is clearly aimed at for getting the over people waiver. This isn't designed for the average hobbyist.
Completely agree. I have actually owned MARS Parachute products before, and they are awesome. Excellent quality, well thought out and a great safety system when things go wrong.

I own an Inspire 1 quad, and every time I take it up, it's a gamble - and I know it. This NOVA system would be perfect for it, as I always have someone with me, and it would be a relief to have that backup system in hand, ready & waiting when things go wrong.
Oct 13, 2017, 02:58 PM
Wow! What a beating! I agree with Rare Bear... let the market and the consumer decide what is best for them. If we were to shoot down every new idea/product, we would likely stifle innovation. I remember when the first helicopters started flying around 1970 (Dr. Dieter Schluter), they were barely controlled flights that didn't last long, today we can fly a small copter all over our house, others inverted, looping, etc. Glad there was innovation in the 70s! Chill Guys!
Oct 13, 2017, 03:40 PM
Franklinfixesall

Drone parachute

. It runs 2.4ghz same as my drone. Now if it were any other mhz then it would make more sense........
On top of that. No receiver needed. Come out with a system that deploys at any rapid changes of elevation. Then those like me with dji products can have extra piece of mind without extra channel
Just an idea
I'm personally in the market for a pocket sized parachute but in order to meet my specs must be stand alone system without receiver the deploys at anytime it's decent rate is faster than 9mph since my drone is top heavy I'd mount under belly to prevent cords from getting cut and I'd prefer it had self contained battery and be re-loadable (chute)
Last edited by franklinfixesall; Oct 14, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
Oct 13, 2017, 10:36 PM
Professional UAV Services
Well if we look at what you are buying for the price it does not seem a reasonable price, I point out this is a basic 2.4 transmitter with a single button, something that can be bought with a RX and a choice of alternative frequencies for under $30 retail, surely there isn't another $60+ dollars in soldering on the button and making a 3d printed case?.....

The issue with stand alone deployment is the fact there is nothing cutting motors automatically. When you have to kill the motors with one switch, then reach over and pull another switch you are likely to already hit something before the parachute can deploy. Manual deployment works well when tied into the main transmitter where it kills the motors then deploys the parachute with a single switch. Controllers like APM work very well for fully automated deployment and you can feed a bunch of parameters in for the deployment including delays or braking for stopping the motors before deployment.

Parachutes work well on planes, unfortunately 90% of time it ends up in disaster on a multirotor unless there is plenty of altitude and an automated FC controlling deployment (of course excluding bs testing where you have all the time in the world ).

If this item was in the $60 price bracket and had the ability to take a ppm input from your TX and CPPM/Sbus input on the RX side (along with accelerometer) and program it to be able to override control to uav's input commands then I can see a market, otherwise you are just selling false hope to people who don't know any better. I would be surprised, on a multirotor, if any1 could manage to successfully deploy this system in real world situation where an actual random emergency happened rather than in just a test scenario where the operator is aware a "failure" is going to take place. Rocket guys have been doing all sorts of parachute deployment for years and they don't cost $500 for a spring in a can with a servo stuck on the side........

Just because people are giving real world feedback on what this system "should" be and the providing details that will actually make this something the market will want does not make it a bashing. I support and cheer for them trying to make a system, this is the opportunity to really take it from a gimmick to something we want.
Last edited by Redemptioner; Oct 13, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
Oct 14, 2017, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Bear
I own an Inspire 1 quad, and every time I take it up, it's a gamble - and I know it...
Playing as a pro with DJI is a gamble... quote of the yesterday
Oct 14, 2017, 02:15 AM
RIP Charlie T. Wilbury, Jr.

Mars NOVA - Drone Parachute Radio

Yea not sure why all the negative here, if you look at this from a self build then yes you wonít need it on something like a Taranis but then if you get some form of power failure you could also loose the main receiver too, also using a second full size RC while simple itís not exactly pop in your pocket.

Much of the AP industry has shifted to RTF or the craft like the M600, the Inspire series and Phantom 4 Pro are used massively and tbh I absolutely see the need for both the backup of the chute and a separate control, while on the M600 you can add the channel expansion kit on the rest you can not, I would much rather a second option thatís redundant, small enough to Velcro to the back of the rc or keep in my pocket.

Tbh I like this a lot, with the Inspire 2 and the new X7 for instance we are putting much larger amounts of money in the air now than say ďsmaller outfitsĒ or amateurs used too, itís the difference between a lost shoot and recovery or a VERY bad day.

What goes up might come down and while Its always been said if you canít afford to loose it then donít fly it this is something thatís really a no brainer tbh, failures happen as as rare as that is having a backup plan is just plain good thinking.

I need to look at getting a chute on my Inspire 2 when itís available.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Oct 14, 2017 at 02:39 AM.