Gluing servos into foamies - RC Groups
Oct 10, 2017, 04:55 PM
Discussion

Gluing servos into foamies

I've used epoxy to hold servos in place in a foam aircraft, and I see the bond between the epoxy and the case has failed.

I've heard of guys using silicone or shoe goo.

What alternatives are out there.?

What have people used with good success?
Thanks
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2017, 05:40 PM
A man with too many toys
I use Hot Glue. I have never had a glue failure. It's also very easy to remove using denatured alcohol (available at point stores and Walmart).

Other types of glue and you rip out big chunks of foam is you ever have to replace a servo.

Oct 10, 2017, 07:28 PM
More information: I did say foamie. It's a foam airframe, but not a park flyer. It's EDF.

I'm not going to trust a fast airplane to hot glue.

I'd use hot glue on a park flyer.

Jim
Oct 10, 2017, 07:38 PM
A man with too many toys
If you really want strength then you should epoxy in some servo rails and a 1/16 plywood sheet over that for more glue area. Then bolt them in. If I had a large expensive high performance foam airplane that's the way I would do it.

Oct 10, 2017, 07:49 PM
AMA 424553
This is what is used in assembly in China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-X-704-High...19.m1438.l2649
Oct 10, 2017, 10:02 PM
No retreat no surrender
I have had good luck with welder brand glue on a Panther EDF. Fun plane..
Oct 11, 2017, 09:34 AM
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
I've used this with good results. I've never had to remove any servos after gluing them with this, so I don't know how easy/difficult that might be.
Oct 11, 2017, 10:48 AM
Hey, watch this!
I ruined a servo gluing it into a foamy some years back. Just a wee bit of glue got inside and locked something up. Since then I just wrap a single layer of masking tape around the body of the servo - sealing the seam between the two parts of the body. I've never use CA to glue a servo but I'm pretty sure it would work okay. P.S. the servo I ruined was a real cheap and likely didn't have the tightest tolerances.
Oct 11, 2017, 11:01 AM
I use standard GE Silicone II. It cures with an alcohol smell, not vinegar - THIS IS IMPORTANT! The caulks that make a vinegar smell are putting out acidic fumes, and this WILL damage your servo. The type that makes an alcohol smell do not attack the electronics.

Andy
Oct 11, 2017, 11:50 AM
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
+10. Good points from both Raymond and Andy.
Oct 11, 2017, 02:50 PM
Pro Hoarder
Plus one to what Andy said..I use the fish tank silicone...no bad stuff in that kind and easy to find
Oct 11, 2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks everybody

Andy and Turbonut: that's exactly what I was looking for.
Oct 13, 2017, 02:46 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I use standard GE Silicone II. It cures with an alcohol smell, not vinegar - THIS IS IMPORTANT! The caulks that make a vinegar smell are putting out acidic fumes, and this WILL damage your servo. The type that makes an alcohol smell do not attack the electronics.

Andy
+1

...and I've used hot glue on EDFs with zero issues. The glue is most often stronger than the surrounding foam.
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...
Oct 24, 2017, 10:59 PM
Bring her in
You could test out Loctite GO2 glue available at HomeCheapo. It sticks good to foam, plastic wind shields, covering, wood.