I bricked my new Taranis X9D? Help - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 10, 2017, 02:08 PM
Discussion

I bricked my new Taranis X9D? Help

Got my Taranis yesterday. Upgraded firmware to 2.2 and it seemed to work just fine. I sent a BMP file to my sdcard and everything went downhill from there. My X9Dplus could read the sd card. i was getting a sdcard error. Nothing worked. I pulled out the sdcard and formatted it. Didnt fix anything. From here I went through a dance of deleting, formatting, copying and pasting, factory resetting. I tried updated the bootloader. tried downgrading the bootloader. My taranis turns on but now its not recognizing my gimbles. went it calibrated, non of the gimbles do anything. What do I do. I dont care about 2.2 anymore. I just want 2.1.9 back and have it working.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2017, 07:56 PM
If you formatted the SD card with Windows or Mac you need to download the SD Format program available on the net. Mac & windows mess up the format on SD and Micro SD cards

Now copy the 2.2 file structure and files to the formatted card.

Use Companion to get a new copy of the 2.2 firmware after you have set you Companion profile to the exact model of your radio. THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT!!! and probably where you went astray.

Then download the firmware. Copy the firmware to the FIRMWARE folder on the SD card.
Eject the card and install it in your transmitter.

Hold both rudder and aileron trim to the center of TX and switch on.

Follow the LCD screen prompts to load the new firmware from the SD card. when done and the TX has booted you should be operational. If up and running then you can update the boot loader to 2.2 via the LCD Screen. If this completes OK You are done.

If either failed the you need to ask for more detailed help in recovering your TX.

FrSky makes excellent equipment, I have used their early modules, telemetry and receivers in my JR 9303 and PCM10X TX ever since they v became available.
Oct 11, 2017, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh P
If you formatted the SD card with Windows or Mac you need to download the SD Format program available on the net. Mac & windows mess up the format on SD and Micro SD cards

Now copy the 2.2 file structure and files to the formatted card.

Use Companion to get a new copy of the 2.2 firmware after you have set you Companion profile to the exact model of your radio. THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT!!! and probably where you went astray.

Then download the firmware. Copy the firmware to the FIRMWARE folder on the SD card.
Eject the card and install it in your transmitter.

Hold both rudder and aileron trim to the center of TX and switch on.

Follow the LCD screen prompts to load the new firmware from the SD card. when done and the TX has booted you should be operational. If up and running then you can update the boot loader to 2.2 via the LCD Screen. If this completes OK You are done.

If either failed the you need to ask for more detailed help in recovering your TX.

FrSky makes excellent equipment, I have used their early modules, telemetry and receivers in my JR 9303 and PCM10X TX ever since they v became available.

My X9D is telling me Directory is missing.

I downloaded a third party SDcard format program and used it. Transferred all the files over and moved the bin to the firmware folder. Didn't work when I was in the bootloader. When I try from the regular Taranis start up, it says Sd card error.

The sdcard works fine. My computer sees it and I can add files to it when it's not inside the Taranis.
Oct 11, 2017, 11:18 PM

The stock FrSky bootloader version 2.1.6 is buggy

What version is your bootloader? (it is different from the main firmware.)

To determine the bootloader version, boot into bootloader mode (using the three-finger salute) and look at the version info at the top of the screen. From the factory the X9DP comes with bootloader version 2.1.6 which has a known bug that can corrupt the SD card file system. If this is your problem, updating the bootloader to either 2.1.9 or 2.2.0 should fix you right up.

Take note that when updating the main OpenTX firmware from the bootloader, the 2.1.x bootloader looks for the .bin files in the /FIRMWARES folder, while the 2.2.x bootloader looks in the /FIRMWARE folder.
Oct 11, 2017, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr
What version is your bootloader? (it is different from the main firmware.)

To determine the bootloader version, boot into bootloader mode (using the three-finger salute) and look at the version info at the top of the screen. From the factory the X9DP comes with bootloader version 2.1.6 which has a known bug that can corrupt the SD card file system. If this is your problem, updating the bootloader to either 2.1.9 or 2.2.0 should fix you right up.

Take note that when updating the main OpenTX firmware from the bootloader, the 2.1.x bootloader looks for the .bin files in the /FIRMWARES folder, while the 2.2.x bootloader looks in the /FIRMWARE folder.
Ok so the reason why it wasnt reading the card was cause my bootloader was at 2.1.9 and my Taranis OS was at 2.2 and the sdcard content was for 2.1.9.

I then upgraded the firmware back to 2.2, downloaded the sdcard content for 2.2 and also added the 2.2 bin into the firmware folder. Went to the boot load update page and update it. The taranis wrote to the tx and then I shut off the taranis.

BUT NOW, when i try to go into the bootloader, NOTHING HAPPENS. Like literally nothing. It doesnt power up. When I try to power normally, it turns on. I turn off again, and hold the trim buttons while booting up and , NOTHING happens again. Im guessing FrSky doesnt offer warranty on brand new products?
Oct 12, 2017, 05:10 AM
FrSky and the dealer that you bought the radio from provide warranty service.

It sounds like one of two trim switches is not making contact and that is why you can not get into boot loader mode. On one occasion about a year ago I serviced a Taranis that had no left aileron trim. Connector to the motherboard was no fully seated.

You do not show a location which helps us send you to the nearest service canter. In the USA contact Aloft Hobbies.
Oct 12, 2017, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh P
FrSky and the dealer that you bought the radio from provide warranty service.

It sounds like one of two trim switches is not making contact and that is why you can not get into boot loader mode. On one occasion about a year ago I serviced a Taranis that had no left aileron trim. Connector to the motherboard was no fully seated.

You do not show a location which helps us send you to the nearest service canter. In the USA contact Aloft Hobbies.

No it's not the trim connection. They work just fine. I was able to downgrade to 2.1.9 and the bootloader started working again. So I did what the person up above told me to do. I did a firmware update through the TX. now my Taranis doesn't wanna turn on at all. Nothing. Everything is dead.
Oct 12, 2017, 10:43 AM
It sounds like you are loading the wrong software.

Have you set the version of your TX in Companion before you downloaded the firmware from the Inet? Taranis, Taranis Plus E etc.? When Companion requests a new firmware down load Companion tells the server which TX version to compile and download.

What is your location so we can point you to a service center?

Next option is to unplug and remove the battery pack. Wait 10 minutes and then re install the battery and try the three finger boot to loader mode.

If this doesn't work I think you are going to need the USB cable etc to write a new boot loader to the TX.