Cheap Ebay laser cutters-how are they? - RC Groups
Oct 10, 2017, 12:15 PM
Discussion

Cheap Ebay laser cutters-how are they?

I asked a question about the cheap ebay laser cutters in another forum, not much response, maybe it'd be better to ask here, respond either thread please..
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post38418794
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2017, 01:29 PM
Hi Ed- I considered getting one for myself earlier this year. I did a bit of research on them and decided on getting a desktop cnc for myself. I live in an apartment so I wasnt crazy about the idea of having to set up a water source for the laser tube and work out an exhaust system for the smoke being produced by the laser.

The cnc on the other hand allows me to cut a wide variety of materials as we all 3d scuplting. There are a lot of videos on youtube about these lasers so Id look around and see what looks good for your shop and application. Hope this helps a little
Oct 10, 2017, 03:17 PM
Good thread on One man's 2.5 w Laser for Toy airplane use
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=21580.0
Oct 17, 2017, 02:56 PM
I've thought about a CNC mill often, it'd be usefully for carving canopy and ducting plugs, but my 3D CAD skills are non-existant. I have some software I bought years ago but didn't get very far. I guess I need to get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkworks
Hi Ed- I considered getting one for myself earlier this year. I did a bit of research on them and decided on getting a desktop cnc for myself. I live in an apartment so I wasnt crazy about the idea of having to set up a water source for the laser tube and work out an exhaust system for the smoke being produced by the laser.

The cnc on the other hand allows me to cut a wide variety of materials as we all 3d scuplting. There are a lot of videos on youtube about these lasers so Id look around and see what looks good for your shop and application. Hope this helps a little
Oct 18, 2017, 11:36 AM
That's the problem with getting into CAD. Depending on the software, there's a bit of a learning curve at the beginning and you need to invest time into getting familiar with the software. You get that time back when you're able to create parts more quickly and accurately once you get rolling.
Oct 30, 2017, 01:46 PM
Well my 7 watt laser FINALLY shipped, 12 to 21 days, I'm dyin' here! I also took the plunge and ordered a CO2 laser from California supplier, it should be here Friday, hopefully I can get one of them to work. I've got two laser kits already designed, an 46" long twin 480 F-22 and a 51" 90mm F-18. The 7w LED laser has a bigger cutting area so the long balsa parts will probably be cut by it.
Oct 30, 2017, 02:11 PM
waiting is the tough part. Ive got my eye on one still for myself so ill be interested in hearing how you like yours.
Oct 31, 2017, 03:14 PM
OMG OMG guess what just showed up! I'm at my computer and I hear a diesel engine and sounds and I'm like no way but I walk out and this smallish gal is hauling this huge cardboard box up my driveway... My CO2 laser cutter is here, WOO HOO!
Oct 31, 2017, 05:26 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
OMG OMG guess what just showed up! I'm at my computer and I hear a diesel engine and sounds and I'm like no way but I walk out and this smallish gal is hauling this huge cardboard box up my driveway... My CO2 laser cutter is here, WOO HOO!
I have been looking at this one too. I can't wait to see how it works out!
Nov 01, 2017, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
Pretty exciting stuff! I'm very curious and am considering getting one for myself. I'd love to hear how you like yours. I'm looking for one that will cut DXF files.

Got my eye on one in particular and I'm sitting here with my finger hovering over the "buy now" button
Nov 01, 2017, 04:22 PM
Dang-it Ed... now Ive got lasers on my mind.

Just saw something online called K40 whisperer (go to scorchworks.com) that everyone seems to love. It's a free and better version of the software that drives the laser. Looks like there are quite a few folks running these units so there's tons of information and fixes online.

...that finger is getting just a little bit heavier now...ha

http://scorchworks.com/K40whisperer/k40whisperer.html
Nov 01, 2017, 04:30 PM
Well so far last night I played with the Laserdrw software that came with the laser and it's not so great, it doesn't open or import .dxf files, but I did import a simple drawing as a .wmf (metafile), I'd drawn a quick pentagon in my Designcad software and and opened it with Laserdrw and got it to cut but after that I had no luck getting any vector files into the software. I was tired and kept nodding off so I'm going to look into it further.

I managed to draw some straight lines in laserdraw of a specific length and burn them, but it's definitely not complex design software.

I'm also going to try RDWorks software because the guy with the bigger laser was using it and it looked simpler.

I'm also going to try K40 Whisperer by Scortchworks, the guy who wrote it posted a youtube video and it looks simple.

Getting around the supplied USB key seems to be doable. My CO2 cutter has an M2 Nano controller board.
Nov 02, 2017, 05:59 AM
I installed a usb driver for K40 Whisperer and overwrote the driver that makes LaserDraw work but I can uninstall it later and that'll set things back to factory. Without the USB key that the stock software required to be inserted, I've used K40 whisperer to cut a few parts and they're coming out great, to the correct size and I'm getting the hang of what speed and power to use. I'm finding stuff I have to go back and fix in the drawings but I'm up and running. Cutting area is about 12 x 8/12, I had it running against the stops one time when the units were wrong, ouch. Inches vs mm. I smell like I've been sitting around a campfire LOL.
Nov 02, 2017, 10:20 AM
That's great! When i got my desktop CNC the software was awful and ended up forking out some cash for better software.

This is the unit I'm considering for myself:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-High-Pre...53.m1438.l2649
Nov 02, 2017, 03:29 PM
I've got one on the way now...

Time to start setting up some files to cut!