completely lost in choosing a new radio - RC Groups
Oct 10, 2017, 10:55 AM
IFLYGLIDERS
Help!

completely lost in choosing a new radio

Hi !
I have been flying for 6 years a spektrum DX6i (DSM2) with no issues, suited my first simple airplaines and my learning skills...
but last year I bought a multiplex heron wich is a 4 servo wing type and I began to see the limits of my radio.
It's a 6 channels with only 2 mixing menu, and all 2 positions switches...of course no warnings, voice, shaking, or any programming enhancement.
For my heron I had a nightmare settings things to work properly but I got the essential : it flyes, better it glides !

I'm ready to step up in the size of my airplane, and even If I dont have a lot of time to spend on this hobby I think I'll move forward anyway.

Now for weeks I've been reading thousands posts, watching undreeds reviews videos or explainations about Radios from all main Brand (Futaba, Spektrum, frSky, Graupner, mutliplex and others), looking for something with at least 8 channels and able to fly almost every plane, glider or quad on a common size (from 1 to 3 meters) that I could buy in the next years...
Honnestly I'm lost...
I'm in europe, France to be exact, so I will talk in euros (witch translate almost equal to $)

Futaba is well reputed but too pricy for my budget witch is between a 100€ and 400€) the 14sg is 500€...
Spektrum, hum... I own one, so the interface could be easy for me, but let me tell that it's not well reputed here in europe because of lost of signals problems.
Multiplex...hum never saw the mid range models to any club I've flown, so really enable to have an idea of what it could be, plus almost no videos about them...
Graupner, since they bankrupted, don't know what to think about they're Graupner/SJ, like the MZ18...witch is a good looking Tx

Now FRsky, with the Taranis x9d or the all new X10, they have all my attentions for the mix of possibilities and affordable price, but programming seems a little tougher than I thought...The Q7s is a good simple radio too but the shape is "spécial" and I'd like to have sliders available....

telemetry...hum do I really need it...i don't know.... stating I was flying ok with only a poor up or down timer on the good old DX6i, never lost a plane...
Now it's there so I might want it on my next TX

Well...i'm lost...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2017, 11:05 AM
If you are willing to learn more complex programming (and there are plenty things on the web to help you) I would consider the Taranis. I personally don't like the newer shapes and I like the x9D shape the best. It has all of the flexibility you could ask for but what comes with that is more complex programming. I really like the Open TX firmware but some don't want that kind of complexity. I don't know about cost in Europe but it's under $200 in the US.
Oct 10, 2017, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYGLIDERS
Hi !
Well...i'm lost...
If you are getting into gliders and you are considering a FrSky OpenTX radio you might find this interesting...

http://www.rc-soar.com/opentx/index.htm
Oct 10, 2017, 12:10 PM

Need at least 8 channels and signal reliability ?

Check out the Hitec Aurora A9 and A9X. Touch screen , easy programming, great telemetry including GPS,Very reliable signal strength. reasonably priced 9 ch. Rx., many program options, more, more , more.

Available in Europe ?
Oct 10, 2017, 12:20 PM
IFLYGLIDERS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangflyer
Check out the Hitec Aurora A9 and A9X. Touch screen , easy programming, great telemetry including GPS,Very reliable signal strength. reasonably priced 9 ch. Rx., many program options, more, more , more.

Available in Europe ?
yes it is, and I didn't mention it in my first post...but the look...I know that doesn"t help you fly...
Oct 10, 2017, 12:23 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYGLIDERS
Hi !
Now FRsky, with the Taranis x9d or the all new X10, they have all my attentions for the mix of possibilities and affordable price, but programming seems a little tougher than I thought...The Q7s is a good simple radio too but the shape is "spécial" and I'd like to have sliders available....

telemetry...hum do I really need it...i don't know.... stating I was flying ok with only a poor up or down timer on the good old DX6i, never lost a plane...
Now it's there so I might want it on my next TX

Well...i'm lost...

Taranis+ and be done with it. Best bang for the buck out there (although their Q7 is a very good value). The X9D+ will service you for years and has all the capability of any radio out there. If you are hung up on programming, I understand. I was, but once I figured out that I just needed to forget everything my Spek gear taught me, it became pretty easy actually. A few youtube vids and I'm sure you'd be set.

Telemetry - well the X9D+ comes with it. Did we also mention economically priced receivers that include telemetry with 8ch out of the box? The X8R rx with 8ch for $32...

If the X9D+ doesn't have the look and feel that you want, then the all new Horus X10 would be my next recommendation.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:33 PM

The look; or the Feel?

Hitec A9 / A9X look ?
Don't know exactly what that means, but
Hold one and FEEL how it is a quality radio and ergonomic.
One of the things most veteran pilots say is Hold the radio before you buy it.
Local flying club or Hobby shop have one?
Oct 10, 2017, 12:33 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford

If the X9D+ doesn't have the look and feel that you want, then the all new Horus X10 would be my next recommendation.
The X10 and X10S ships with FrSky's menu driven OS that is really quick and easy to use, but it can also can run OpenTX.

Mike
Oct 10, 2017, 12:39 PM
IFLYGLIDERS
Quote:

Available in Europe ?
can get it for 379.00€ with a 9ch Rx...it says capable of telemetry...no voice..
Oct 10, 2017, 12:40 PM

NO issues with DX6i

If you have not had issues with your DX6i , then I'd also look at the Spektrum DX9. VERY high quality radio.
Easy to program, Telemetry, Voice, more.
My opinions due to personal ownership:
I have Hitec A9, Hitec A9X, Spek DX9, Spek DX8 g2, Spek DX6i.

Do you like how the DX6i feels and looks ? DX9 very similar.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:45 PM
IFLYGLIDERS
Quote:
Hitec A9 / A9X look ?
Don't know exactly what that means, but
Hold one and FEEL how it is a quality radio and ergonomic.
One of the things most veteran pilots say is Hold the radio before you buy it.
Local flying club or Hobby shop have one?
I'm talking about général design... and for the feel you're right it's certainly better to handle one...but I don't think I can find someone using it around, didn't see any in the flying clubs...
here Futaba everywere, and also lot of hi priced multiplex...more and more Taranis or x12...few jeti's...
Oct 10, 2017, 12:46 PM

Latency ?

Check out latency difference:
DX9 vs. Taranis vs. Hitec A9X vs. Horus
Could be important issue for your future aircraft purchases.

Please note that I do NOT say anything against other Radios; only things
about what I actually own.
Last edited by mustangflyer; Oct 10, 2017 at 01:00 PM.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:50 PM
IFLYGLIDERS
Quote:
If you have not had issues with your DX6i , then I'd also look at the Spektrum DX9. VERY high quality radio.
Easy to program, Telemetry, Voice, more.
My opinions due to personal ownership:
I have Hitec A9, Hitec A9X, Spek DX9, Spek DX8 g2, Spek DX6i.

Do you like how the DX6i feels and looks ? DX9 very similar.
the DX9 would be ok, i'm used to the general SPEK tx Design, but it's 450€ here...a little over what I intend to spend, DX8 is 400€ and would be enough, already on the top top of my budget...
Oct 10, 2017, 01:03 PM
FJH
FJH
Don't be scared by OpenTx to be too complex, the basics of OpenTx is not complicated at all. The grade of complexity for programming will be up to you. I would advice you to take your time and have alook at the series of videos from Painless360, starting here =>

(1/9) FrSky TARANIS Radio - How to update the firmware (8 min 15 sec)

And when talking about money, it's not only the Tx but also check for costs of receivers and sensors and you will find very soon that nothing comes close to FrSky. Also consider the open market options to buy components directly from China, here you may check companies like Banggood and HorusRC.
Oct 10, 2017, 01:06 PM

DX9 vs. DX8 G2

IMHO:
I own both the DX9 and DX8 G2 .
I see a LOT of difference between them:
DX9 much better Radio.
Voice quality better in DX9
Check out comparison chart easily available on line.
Nothing wrong with DX8 G2, but I'd buy the DX9 ( even if I had to wait for budget clearance )
Horizon offers "Affirm" credit that is honorable.
Last edited by mustangflyer; Oct 11, 2017 at 02:21 AM.