This thread is privately moderated by Bob Gaito, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 10, 2017, 08:15 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Build Log

1964 Pacemaker express sport fisherman 32ft

This was my family boat from 1964 to 1984ish.. My dad bought it new and added many options he couldn't afford from the MFG like the flying bridge and fresh water cooling. I spent many spring days on my back under this boat (it was a wooden boat)..back then you could work on your own boat...for 50 yrs I wanted to build an exact model of it..but no plans were available and there are no exact versions of the boat left, as far as the internet can tell me...I was on my own!...
The Wanderer Reel (0 min 31 sec)

A couple of notes:
The bottom paint was tough..the real boat had Interlux copper based paint. I don't think anyone uses it today. If they do its a couple a hundred dollars a gallon and very hazardous so I went to my local paint store and "bummed"some pigments used in Benjamin More latex paints then proceeded to custom mix the color I needed and mixed it into Polycrylic satin. Then I painted it on the bottom with a small brush to duplicate the bottom paint texture of the real boat.

Lets talk about the gold leaf on the transom. Everyone pretty much knows about water slide decal clear printer sheets. And thank heaven for cheap color laser prints at staples or office depot. But I don't know that if everyone knows that these sheets can be painted on...so I laid out the name aided by a photograph and photocopied it on white printer paper in B&W (larger than needed) Cleaned up the edges with a sharpie then shrunk it down to the exact size I needed. The image gets sharper the more you reduce it. Then had it printed onto a water slide decal sheet. Next I laid it flat on a work board (bright light comfortable work surface,and magnifier) then proceeded to paint the gold size (glue) over the printed name with a very fine artist brush and applied the gold in one sheet with a 4 inch high quality fine paint brush, just rub the brush in your hair (or in my case someone's hair) to pick up static electricity then it will pick up the gold without destroying it. Just lay the brush with the gold flat down on the glued areas and it will stick where needed. Burnish lightly with a cotton ball or Q-tip. Then I outlined the shadowing with black paint sealing the edges. The gold leaf decal was ready to apply like any other decal, a little Micro sol around the edges, and a spray of auto clear coat from Duplicolor-Done

I happen to have two boats with ladders to the fly bridge and they must be removed to take the cabin off to access the inside workings. What I wound up was to put rare earth magnets in the edge of the cabin roof. then i made small iron brackets l (used metal from an old tomato can) and the best source for powerful rare earth magnets (since Radio Shack is gone) are inside those discarded old ear bud headphones. Now the ladder stays put and I only have to get it close and it snaps into position all by itself!
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Oct 23, 2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added content
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2017, 06:07 PM
Last edited by Tim B.; Oct 13, 2020 at 01:47 PM.
Dec 05, 2017, 03:55 PM

pacemaker

Great Model I grew up with the same boat with my father. It had 185hp gray marines in it, he lost the boat in a winter storm when the wind blew the boat right off the blocks. Did enough damage that it was totaled then he bought a 35 Chris Seaskiff.
Dec 05, 2017, 04:37 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Hi,
Not many of these left... and I have never seen one with the dinette up top. My pop's boat had crusaders...there is no chance your's was 1964 32ft with the dinette up top? I spent almost as much time under the boat on my back as I did on it. Back then we thought 27 kts was fast! although you'd be hard pressed to cruise all day on plane at 12 kts at 10 gallons(both engines) per hour.
Oct 13, 2020, 01:12 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Oct 13, 2020, 01:17 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

The Wanderer gets new Motors

I decided to remove the 185 Chevy smallblock Crusaders and step into this century-I went with Two 1200KV 2830 magnetic force torque generators fed by a Lithium Paste Polymer power cell (almost can't wait for the Dilithum Crystal power cells to become available).
I was a little leery as to how small and lightweight the outrunners are (about the size of 18 stacked US Quarters) and whether or not they would be powerfull enough. To my amazement- they are plenty strong. a good scale max speed using 2s battery and when I upgrade to 3s-there should be another 1200 rpm available.
Granted, I test ran the boat on a 50*F day but at constant full power-the ESCs and Motors never got above 70* F on the infared thermometer... thanks for all friendly input -especially to Doug Needabiggerboat.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Oct 15, 2020 at 05:19 AM.

Quick Reply