FPV Cargo Plane design and build log - RC Groups
Oct 09, 2017, 06:12 PM
Build Log

FPV Cargo Plane design and build log

I realized I was going to be posting a lot about this topic, so I'm going to post everything about this airplane into this article.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2017, 06:14 PM

Scratch built FPV Cargo Plane Ideas

Hey everyone. I would really like to scratch build a foamy FPV airplane.
Hereís what Iím thinking:

I am thinking large, maybe 40 -50 inches and Iíll use dollar tree foam to make it. Definitely something like a cargo plane. Twin engines on the wings and a camera on the front of the fuse. Would love to have a pan setup on the FPV camera. I want it to fly for a long time so Iím gonna put a pretty big battery in there. I would also like to take it long range at some point in time.

Since Iím thinking about a cargo plane maybe I could make a cargo bay and drop some army men.

Any ideas? Has anyone done something like this? Thanks for taking the time to read
Oct 09, 2017, 06:19 PM
*PLANS LINKED DOWN BELOW , PLEASE READ BEFORE LOOKING AT THEM*
Hey guys I'm back. I decided to go with my own design for the FPV cargo plane. I've drawn up some basic planes of the different sides and the wing. Im going to be making the plans much better once I build it, but for now I plan to build it, modify what I need to and then make changes to the plans. Im going to put a CC3D board that I already have into it and program an Auto Level flight mode, just as a safety net for when I'm flying FPV. The plans are full sized, so they are quite a large file. Also they are NOT complete at all.

Here are the electronics I plan on buying:
Motors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMX-MT-0409-...YAAOSwz5ZZsWH3
ESC's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emax-Blheli-...4AAOSwMmBVuLAr
Servos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-9g-Micro-...kAAOSwgmJX16r8
Camera:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RunCam-Swift...4AAOSwgY9Xe9Ha
VTX:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Readytosky-v...gAAOSwNZtZxWBD
Oct 10, 2017, 10:09 AM
Retired CAD guy
Have you tried a Search This Forum for "The Twins" ?
Oct 10, 2017, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Have you tried a Search This Forum for "The Twins" ?
Someone else recommended the twins. I thought about it and decided I wanted to try and design my own. Thanks for the suggestion though
Oct 11, 2017, 09:26 AM
treefinder
At least you should browse the thread, as the design has been around long enough that many have built it and added their good and bad experiences to the story. You can learn a lot and avoid making the same mistakes as others!

I should add that your initial description in second post is exactly how i would describe the twins design!
Oct 12, 2017, 03:52 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remotecontrolkid
Someone else recommended the twins. I thought about it and decided I wanted to try and design my own. <snip>
I have just looked at what you have drawn and I must say you should really consider either buildings The Twins or something closely resembling it.
As it is you are falling into all the traps that seem to bedevil inexperienced designers, and it's very likely your present path will result in an ugly and poor performing model.
Right now you think I am being mean and cruel, but I am not. I am being honest and I am giving the best advice I can, based on a LOT of years of experience.
Oct 12, 2017, 07:57 PM
My best advice to you is this. Find a design you like, build it, then after you have proven it will fly and flies well. Change the design to fit what you want or what you need.

As stated, it is so easy to fall into a trap where you spend all of this time, effort and the plane will not fly well or not fly at all. You may get the electronics, but the air frame you end up with may be to big or to small for the parts you have. Been there and done that.

I have designed, built and crash a whole bunch of planes over the years. They looked great on paper and in my head. Yet they were poor or worse when finished. I have been around a long time. I still come up with a great design on paper, only to find as I build it, I find it really won't work.

if nothing else, use the Twins ratio's, span to cord, wing to tail, vertical area and so on. They work well so if you keep it with the same ratio's you will have a better chance at success.

Buzz.
Oct 21, 2017, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will think about that. Maybe I will build the twins or design something slightly different to suit my FPV needs. Thanks