Cheromoonanza - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 09, 2017, 06:01 PM
Discussion

Cheromoonanza

Iím tossing around an idea about a fuselage design that I could use for either a Cherokee or a Mooney or a v tailed Dr killer. Oops I mean Bonanza. Since Iím not going for super scale accuracy I think I could pull it off with only minor changes to the tail area. Iím also going to try to keep it at about a 48Ē wingspan. I would build a straight wing with a flat bottom for the Cherokee and a tapered wing that would possibly be interchangeable with the Mooney and Bonanza. It would have a more symmetrical airfoil also to give it more of a sport flyer feel.
Iím a little concerned about prop clearance with the ground and having to use big old bush plane wheels on them or maybe even making tail draggers out of them. But hey theyíre for fun not scale looks lol. It makes me wonder if anyone has ever converted a Cherokee to a tail dragger before. Somebody in Alaska probably has one right now.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2017, 05:19 AM
And there it is !!!
Oct 10, 2017, 09:53 AM
My uncle and I have been following the full-size build of this...uh..."special" plane. There used to be a website about the conversion (and future STC) that doesn't appear to be anywhere on the web anymore. For the conversion everything was pretty straight forward except for the fact they called for 200 pounds of lead to be added in the rear to correct the CG.
Oct 10, 2017, 11:28 AM
I just don’t see the point of doing that to the plane if they’re not putting big bush plane tires on it. If it can be done you know somebody out there will do it.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey34
I just donít see the point of doing that to the plane if theyíre not putting big bush plane tires on it. If it can be done you know somebody out there will do it.
Fixed that for ya. This makes the plane hideous in my opinion.
Oct 10, 2017, 01:04 PM
Ha!!! That’s about right. I think they probably did it to win a bar bet lol.
Oct 11, 2017, 02:56 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote: ...called for 200 pounds of lead to be added in the rear to correct the CG.

How the heck did that work?
They removed the nose gear and moved the main gear from aft of the CG to forward of the CG, which you would think would balance out. And then added a tail wheel.
How come it needed so much weight in the back?
Perhaps they added a massive structure to carry the main gear.
Oct 11, 2017, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
How the heck did that work?
They removed the nose gear and moved the main gear from aft of the CG to forward of the CG, which you would think would balance out. And then added a tail wheel.
How come it needed so much weight in the back?
Perhaps they added a massive structure to carry the main gear.
Moving the weight of the main gear (and it’s sold metal undercarriage) up in line with the spar, and probably the ghosts of Orville and Wilbur haunting the abomination.
Oct 12, 2017, 09:56 AM
If it makes anyone feel better I have not found an example of a Bonanza or a Mooney with a tail wheel.
Yesterday, 12:20 PM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pacon-Ori...9s2dce-aQvjhLc How about this stuff?
Today, 06:27 AM
I noticed that thereís a lot of incidence in the wing is that really needed in a model or would it make it a better sport flyer if I took some of that out?
Today, 08:03 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
There's not as much incidence as you seem to think.
If you look at the incidence of the v-tail you'll notice that it also is rigged with a few degrees of positive.
The result of this is similar to having a bit of down-thrust so it all may work quite well in a model.
Today, 09:31 AM
Ok I see that now. The plane does look like it sits a little nose high on the ground. Probably gives it the illusion of high incidence. I was looking to find the angle of the v in the tail and I found a reference to the dihedral being changed from 30 to 33 degrees at some point in the production run.
Today, 09:41 AM
And just when you thought youíve seen everything !!!