Peanut Fokker Eindecker EIII Scout build - RC Groups
Oct 09, 2017, 05:12 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Build Log

Peanut Fokker Eindecker EIII Scout build

This build was inspired by LOV1's CO2 peanut model he posted about from last year.
I scaled down a set of plans I found from Model Airplane News June, 1958 by Norman Deitchman.
Everything is made from either 1/16" or 1/32" balsa or 1/64" birch ply.

I made 2 brass sheet templates to quickly knock out the ribs and the spar notches for the wings. This would make sure I got each one spot on at this size.
Both wing halves done.
Next, I built the tailplane. I used 1mm carbon fibre rod to give strength to the hinge which is aluminium tubing with a ~1mm ID.
Rudder was next. That was fun to build. I kept to the plan and made multiple curved pieces to build it up.
I decided to build the landing gear next so I could make sure I placed the supports in the fuse in the correct places. At this size a little bit off is a lot.
The fuse was standard box build - build the two halves and then join them together keeping everything square as I went.
The cowl and sides were next. Even though they are covered here - I removed the foil as I have a brilliant way of creating a realistic chrome metal surface. Just waiting on the materials to arrive. Good old ebay!.
That brings you up to date with my build. I am currently lathing down the wheel rims and axles as I will be making spoke wheels for the model. Fiddly work but you know me.....

to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2017, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
That brings you up to date with my build.
Outstanding, Nitro, but that went way too fast! Looking forward to more detail as you go on from here, as I learn so much from you.

Gene K
Oct 09, 2017, 08:00 PM
Nice work. Does the EDF get buried in the fuse or nose-mounted?
Oct 09, 2017, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reylf_gnijieB
Does the EDF get buried in the fuse or nose-mounted?

Gene K
Oct 09, 2017, 08:18 PM
Gary
Very fine work. Can you picture the brass punch?
Oct 09, 2017, 10:02 PM
I Hate Orange Props
LOV1 used split ribs. Is there any particular reason why you didn't? It can't be to much trouble, the spars can go through it, and it probably isn't any harder than making a brass pattern.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:51 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thanks Gene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reylf_gnijieB
Nice work. Does the EDF get buried in the fuse or nose-mounted?
Don't tempt me. Between the LG looks a good spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein
Very fine work. Can you picture the brass punch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroPlane6
LOV1 used split ribs. Is there any particular reason why you didn't? It can't be to much trouble, the spars can go through it, and it probably isn't any harder than making a brass pattern.

The brass template took all of a minute to make. I glued the rib pattern to some brass sheet and cut out the rib shape. Now I used this (face down) to repeatedly cut ribs from rectangular strips I cut. The other template allowed the rib to fit in place and then I cut out the spar notches.
I am following Normans plan as closely as possible. He had solid ribs in the plan.

Oct 10, 2017, 03:40 AM
Can you explain the second part of this? I am not understanding how you cut the spar notches. Also, what size was the brass sheet (thickness).

Thanks

The more pics the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Thanks Gene.

Don't tempt me. Between the LG looks a good spot!

The brass template took all of a minute to make. I glued the rib pattern to some brass sheet and cut out the rib shape. Now I used this (face down) to repeatedly cut ribs from rectangular strips I cut. The other template allowed the rib to fit in place and then I cut out the spar notches.
I am following Normans plan as closely as possible. He had solid ribs in the plan.

Oct 10, 2017, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalled
... what size was the brass sheet (thickness).
And how did you cut it?

Gene K
Oct 10, 2017, 10:04 AM
No more nicotine for me!
That is one clean looking build!
Oct 10, 2017, 12:00 PM
Brilliant work Nitro.

It looks amazing.

Stewart
Oct 10, 2017, 01:20 PM
Oh! Just love model
Lovely build. How did you stick the landing gear wire parts together? Solder? Epoxy?

August
Oct 10, 2017, 01:40 PM
Looking real good! I think the challenge with the E-III is the LG yours looks very good.

Pete
Oct 10, 2017, 05:59 PM
Gary
I do similar on ribs. Cut the template out of 1/64ths ply with scissors
Oct 10, 2017, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein
Cut the template out of 1/64ths ply with scissors
Good to see you here, Gary. Have you been gone? I miss a lot of the folks who were previously active in the micro threads.

Gene K