Dec 29, 2017, 05:44 PM
flyin' fool
They all look fluffy light.

I think mine is going to be relegated to the big outdoors. Gonna build another with lighter thinner EPP for indoor. Or............... order a few kits.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2017, 06:26 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Funny you should ask ............

We let Dale grab his Quasar and we all relaunched as seen in the video below. We all flew high-alpha to show off the slow flight capabilities and ended with a little durability testing and carnage.
Although it looks otherwise no Quasars were harmed during the filming of the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DAAkL3cyXoc
Looks really durable, which is what I need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
302 Looked like a midair collision
That's what I was guessing but it didn't look like they got close enough. I'm viewing it on a cell phone too, so...
Dec 30, 2017, 03:46 PM
If Toads could Fly...

Maidened one made of DTFB today...

No wind when I left the house... 10 minutes later arrive at the field, winds are 5-20 gusting. Oh well, it's only foam, right? Maiden went well, flew for 11 minutes on low rates and CG set 3/8 in. foward of plan... Too windy to really dial it in, but it still flew very well. Condensed video below for proof of flight...

I built this using DTFB, 20 in. WS, KF2 (no spars), TLAR method, paper removed. I think I made the rudder too big...

AUW was 215g using a 3S 850 mah battery, 5g servos, 10A esc,
C20 motor, 8x3.8SF prop.

Thank you for posting the plans!

Quasar Maiden (4 min 10 sec)
Last edited by JFord2; Dec 30, 2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Pictured added...
Dec 30, 2017, 07:23 PM
It flies pretty well!
Dec 30, 2017, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Well done JFord2, excellent video and flying. My pleasure on posting the plans, this is what makes it worth while.
Last edited by r/cdawg; Dec 31, 2017 at 12:06 AM.
Dec 31, 2017, 04:32 PM
If Toads could Fly...

2nd flight

21F and breezy today, I took the DTFB Quasar for its second run at the park... Moved the CG back 1/8 inch, and it responded favorably.
Also used high rates and managed a few "standing piroettes". Maybe if I move another tick back on the CG and develope some skill like the Dawg, I could get those hands-off hovers!
I flew it going with the flow of the breezes, until the cold out-weighed the thrill, highlights below... What a great design, thanks again Dawg!

Quasar2 (5 min 1 sec)
Dec 31, 2017, 04:35 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
I love how effortlessly this thing launches and how stable it is in all the vids I see.
Dec 31, 2017, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
Great video JFord2, looks to like you move the sticks quite well.

Greg is planning to post a link soon for those who would like to order pre-cut foam.
Dec 31, 2017, 11:40 PM
flyin' fool
Grounded since Friday, got that nasty nasty flu bug, even though I got the shot.
Jan 02, 2018, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Grounded since Friday, got that nasty nasty flu bug, even though I got the shot.
That's no fun. I had a bout of it earlier this fall. Hopefully I built my immune system up a bit.
Jan 02, 2018, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
Hopefully you guys are busy building Quasars so I'm looking forward to seeing some build pics. Don't be bashful as others will enjoy them too.

On another topic. If you recall early in the thread I posted a picture of a new project I've been working on called the McSlick. Having designed numerous EPP 3D profile foamies I'm starting to get the aerodynamic package fine tuned to my flying style. News Years Eve ended up being clear and calm but VERY cold. Wanting to get a couple more flights in for the year I bundled up and flew a couple flights just before sunset. The temperature was a balmy 7* F so my fingers could only last about 4 minutes before getting stiff. I had taken two videos but halfway through the second video my phone literally froze and stopped recording.

McSlick EPP 3D Foamy (4 min 21 sec)
Jan 02, 2018, 05:19 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Hopefully you guys are busy building Quasars so I'm looking forward to seeing some build pics. Don't be bashful as others will enjoy them too.

On another topic. If you recall early in the thread I posted a picture of a new project I've been working on called the McSlick. Having designed numerous EPP 3D profile foamies I'm starting to get the aerodynamic package fine tuned to my flying style. News Years Eve ended up being clear and calm but VERY cold. Wanting to get a couple more flights in for the year I bundled up and flew a couple flights just before sunset. The temperature was a balmy 7* F so my fingers could only last about 4 minutes before getting stiff. I had taken two videos but halfway through the second video my phone literally froze and stopped recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgqwf4pi3xo
Nice vid, flies great!
Jan 03, 2018, 07:47 AM
Your McSlick is a nice flying plane! What is the material?

Yep, I'm ready for summer
Jan 03, 2018, 08:18 AM
If Toads could Fly...

Excellent.

What I want to know is how he trained his trees not to reach out and grab his plane... My trees are still in school!
Jan 03, 2018, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall
Your McSlick is a nice flying plane! What is the material?

Yep, I'm ready for summer
8mm EPP.

As I type this it is 10* F and snowing. We're supposed to get 4" of new snow today to go on top of the 4" we received over night. Just another day in paradise here in west Michigan. Hopefully in a few years when I retire and can post videos of me flying on New Years Eve from a beach in Florida.

Actually west Michigan is an awesome place to live with lots of winter sports opportunities. We have groomed snowmobile and cross country skiing trails, downhill skiing and excellent ice fishing all within an hours drive of where I live. The best part is there is nothing like an summer evening in west Michigan. Sunsets on Lake Michigan are beautiful and foamy flying friendly.

Quick Reply