Feb 07, 2020, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Thanks for the info, I'll most likely order one when they become available

I'm very new to 3D flight and don't get to practice often because it's always really windy here. That was my longest hover so far!
We are currently making all our planes to order. Nothing is on the board so order away, you will be next in line!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2020, 11:03 PM
flyin' fool
Just slice up some 6.5 mm EPP, have replenished my stash of CF and on the mend from my annual nasty cold curse. So, hopeful a new light version in the near future.
Mar 01, 2020, 07:03 PM
Looks like a cool plane. Think I have read every post...lol. Decided to order the kit and other items to get one built while still cold outside. Have never had an elevon style plane. Have a new DX6 radio coming. Anyone have a quick set-up for the Quasar/DX6 combo?
Last edited by dav62; Mar 01, 2020 at 07:58 PM.
Mar 01, 2020, 08:58 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!

DX6 Elevon Setup

In radio setup, set the tail type to Elevon. One elevon servo goes in aileron port, the other in elevator port. Done -- sorta.

When you now benchtest for correct elevon directions odds are something will work backwards. Turns out since there are two channels that might require reversing and two ports that might require switching, there are eight possible combinations and only one will work properly. Keep notes if you get confused, but one by one reverse the two channels and swap the two servo plugs until you find what works.

Not to add to the confusion, the radio also offers Elevon B. That simply swaps the two servo plugs electronically instead of physically. Your choice.

It's confusing the first time but takes but seconds the next time once you've caught on to the act.
Last edited by hard line; Mar 01, 2020 at 09:07 PM.
Mar 01, 2020, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
In radio setup, set the tail type to Elevon. One elevon servo goes in aileron port, the other in elevator port. Done -- sorta.

When you now benchtest for correct elevon directions odds are something will work backwards. Turns out since there are two channels that might require reversing and two ports that might require switching, there are eight possible combinations and only one will work properly. Keep notes if you get confused, but one by one reverse the two channels and swap the two servo plugs until you find what works.

Not to add to the confusion, the radio also offers Elevon B. That simply swaps the two servo plugs electronically instead of physically. Your choice.

It's confusing the first time but takes but seconds the next time once you've caught on to the act.
Thank you for the info! I was watching some vids and getting confused about those combos. At least rudder goes to rudder but might need reversed too...lol.
Mar 01, 2020, 09:41 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Yeah...don't be thinking there's a right way to build it and if it doesn't work you've built it wrong. Servo arms can point to the left, point to the right, be above or below the wing, be normal or reverse servos etc. In building a plane there are just a bunch of options and each will operate correctly with one and only one of the eight setup possibilities. You just have to find it. It's easier than it sounds.
Mar 02, 2020, 01:11 AM
we have 4 quasars flying at our indoor sessions, we love them
Mar 02, 2020, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
we have 4 quasars flying at our indoor sessions, we love them
Been popular for many years looks like. Sign of a great design.
Mar 02, 2020, 02:30 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line

I plug the right aileron into the aileron port on the RX and the left into elevator. If that doesn't work then try B. But, before you change over, try the servo reversing function. It's easy on the DX6. The A or B choice allows for not having the swap the servo connections.

Where their programming falls short is the elevon function, it should included the amount of servo throw. Every other radio I've owned included it.

You then MUST go into dual rates and set the elevator at 60 % throw so as to limit the servo travel when both are commanded to move to their extremes.

Then fine tune to your taste.
Mar 02, 2020, 02:49 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Heh...I don't know about "MUST" because I have more than a dozen elevon wings and deltas and have never done it. I've been thinking up 'till now they fly fine.

But now I have to think about what you said...what it means to me...and whether I should change my ways.

The only time I've noted elevon programming problems is in fitting gyro receivers such as AR636. The problem is I normally use subtrim to bring my servo arms to a matching 90 degree starting point. Can't do that with stabilizers because the elevon mix is in the receiver, not the transmitter. Messing with subtrims and travels and such prior to mixing winds up giving non-matching behavior to the two elevons. I've actually had to machine out the splines in some servos so I could match them without use of subtrim. Pain in the ass, but it worked.
Mar 02, 2020, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
I plug the right aileron into the aileron port on the RX and the left into elevator. If that doesn't work then try B. But, before you change over, try the servo reversing function. It's easy on the DX6. The A or B choice allows for not having the swap the servo connections.

Where their programming falls short is the elevon function, it should included the amount of servo throw. Every other radio I've owned included it.

You then MUST go into dual rates and set the elevator at 60 % throw so as to limit the servo travel when both are commanded to move to their extremes.

Then fine tune to your taste.
Thank you for the info! Is the DX6 not a good radio? If not will send it right back to Amazon when it arrives. I have an old DX6i which does not do elevon function well at all. That's why I decided to upgrade.
Mar 02, 2020, 02:59 PM
flyin' fool
The DX6 is way better then the DX6i, which had some weird things going on with it. So much better, there's no comparison. The DX6 is the same as the DX8, only with less features.

Note that you can also load in the latest upgrades too.
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 02, 2020 at 03:16 PM.
Mar 02, 2020, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
The DX6 is way better then the DX6i, which had some weird things going on with it. So much better, there's no comparison. The DX6 is the same as the DX8, only with less features.

Note that you can also load in the latest grades too.
That's good to hear. From what I have read it is a nice radio for the money.
Mar 02, 2020, 03:15 PM
flyin' fool
In elevon mode if you move the stick into a corner then your asking the servos controlling aileron and elevator to move 200% TOTAL, which it can't do, it can only move 100% of it's mechanical limitations.

Besides, with most flying wings, both slope and power, little elevator is needed. It's a matter of fine tuning the CG and the amount of reflex.

My FB was complaining about how crappy his combat wings were flying this weekend. They lost inertia when give elevator and the nose bobbed up and down. He kept adjusting the CG and that made it worse.

He had not reduced the elevator travel. So, I explained to him what had to be done. The elevator travel was deduced to about 20%, the CG put back to where it was suppose to be and he had a completely new bird on his hands. He's since adjusted about a dozen slope wings, some he had given up on.

On my Wiesel the elevator moves about 3/8"/ 9mm up and down and the aileron function about four times that. With the proper CG it does super tight loops no problem. Same for my latest Instigator and it's dead flat.
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 02, 2020 at 03:44 PM.
Mar 02, 2020, 03:23 PM
flyin' fool
You can use an online CG calculator, but to get it right considering all factors the test dive (do a search) works perfect every time.

Quick Reply