Sep 06, 2019, 03:09 AM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
My older V3 was looking tatty.. but still going strong.... so I gave it some more paint and then redid the pdf files...
the pdf's are for a 23.5" span..

On the gartt 2204-1800 it hovers a treat using a 2s lipo and 8x4.3 gws sf type prop.. It flies lovely..

Using Adobe and scaling down by a couple of inches makes for a lighter model and gives a sharper performance on the same power setup..
Which glue did you use that is turning yellow?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2019, 09:26 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I'm a fan of Beacon QuickGrip and Foam Tac. They're very similar, but FT has UV protection keeping it clear in sunlight whereas QG yellows with age. I imagine that's typical in the field. "Outdoor" products are usually UV protected and "craft" products aren't.
Sep 07, 2019, 12:34 AM
Everbuild lumberjack wood glue.. sets fast with moisture...
Its ok for laminating KF layers, being much cheaper than UHU por,
But it goes brittle after time and darkens up yellow...

UHU stays flexible and fairly clear.. although after a longish time ( year +) it does dry out, and de-lamination of layers on EPP is likely.
Last edited by davereap; Sep 07, 2019 at 12:42 AM.
Sep 07, 2019, 10:30 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I've always felt the problem with EPP adhesion is you only have the sheared edges of bubbles to glue to. Very little effective surface area. So for me, tape on EPP is a sure loser.

But with adhesives that can be pushed down into the bubbles, you can get a really good grip. So what works best for me would be something like QuickGrip (perhaps UHU is similar if gooey) where I force it into the texture on both pieces, scrape off any excess and press them together. I've never had a failure even with age and abuse with that technique.
Sep 08, 2019, 02:41 PM
flyin' fool
Clear Gorilla is now the favorite here.
Sep 08, 2019, 02:48 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Have you done coupon tests with it? Didn't perform well on EPP for me. I think the only glue it beat was Elmer's white glue. Top were Liquid Nails Perfect, QuickGrip, FoamTac and hot glue. Gorilla white close behind. Exact rankings depended on how I prepared the samples.
Sep 17, 2019, 01:03 AM
liquid nails is very expensive...lol .. I try to keep it all cheap..
UHU por is 1/3 price of the liquid nails and even that is expensive when laminating KFm layers together

We have found some new white foam sheets ... available from B&Q ... to use instead of depron..
800x600mm.... in 3, 6, 9mm ...first impressions are very good, it feels stronger/denser/harder than the green sheets from the same manufacturer..
here is the 6mm...8 sheets for 13.74 and the quality looks pretty good.
You can find this material in the building section, with thermal insulation...
The 9mm sheets are also looking good for your bigger models..
The green 5mm sheets are in the flooring section

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial....prd?rrec=true
Last edited by davereap; Sep 20, 2019 at 01:16 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 11:14 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
Brilliant spot Dave.

Bought myself a pack of each to evaluate. So far I have only opened the 6mm and it cuts and feels like the original Depron.

Slightly stiffer (and maybe more brittle) than the Aero Depron.

I have a whole box of aero 20 full sized sheets but I have been using the green foam from B&Q. But I think I will like this new stuff more.

Thanks very much for passing the info on.

Cheers Craig.
Sep 20, 2019, 12:45 AM
Its much the same as depron, it needs tape or film cover to strengthen it up to resist cracking in hard impacts and mid air chopping..... My latest 6mm foam model took a hard dive into concrete from about 8ft after a mid air.. and despite the film and tape I used it cracked up in a couple of places.

Flying my latest Qv4 version however was great, perfect in fact....... until someone mid aired me..lol....
My latest uses a slightly fatter bodied Quasar Fuzz on a flat PP1 wing shape.
This gives more area for smaller span , slightly less the original pointy delta.. and a lower wing loading at 2.4ozsqft

I do hope you dont mind me messing with your basic design... note ...all the versions fly extremely well ...with all versions being flown at our indoor club, and more being built.
two flying buddies already have two models each, and two others liked them so much they have also built them in v1 shape from the 9mm XPS foam

My XPS build was going to get repaired and given a full covering of a very thin lamination film....however!

note....I repaired it, then B**** it up by covering it .. I put a bad warp in the wing which would not come out...
So its binned.. and I have now made one from EPP

One Quasar v1 9mm xps model at 24" using the 9mm foam had no reinforcing and was literally chopped in half..lol.. in another mid air hit...so he has another one to make
The Quasars are very popular for indoor flying at our club.. 5 are flying..
Last edited by davereap; Sep 22, 2019 at 03:39 AM.
Sep 21, 2019, 10:18 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I'm afraid at this point you'll have to surrender the term "delta".
Sep 21, 2019, 10:21 AM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I'm afraid at this point you'll have to surrender the term "delta".
Haha I was thinking soon he can call it the Quasar Square
Sep 22, 2019, 03:19 AM
I tried a square wing a while back, it was not good.. However this version is again a joy to fly..

My PP1 has a similar shaped wing, but no real Fuzz, it also flies great, but is a lot more stable with high centre dihedral..

My new Qv4... also flying is a Qv2 and a Qv3
Qv4Xpp1 first flight 19 9 2019 (10 min 8 sec)

The B&Q green foam with red and yellow stripes is a Qv3.. the other an EPP version with its red and blue streaks and yellow tips is a Qv2

more info on the variations here.. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=40302622
Last edited by davereap; Sep 23, 2019 at 02:35 AM.
Sep 25, 2019, 02:55 AM

Winglets, servos, etc.

Hello,

I came across this thread (and the Leadfeather's 3D-Delta one as well), and I am trying to build something along these lines. I have some questions, though:

1) on most flying wings and other planes I see winglets protruding behind the trailing edge significantly. Would this plane benefit from longer winglets? Would it help the knife edge performance? I guess more vertical area is always welcome for KE, but this one could be too much in the rear. Also, some 3D planes have smaller vertical fins in about 2/3 of the wingspan in the front part of the wing. Has anybody tried using something similar on the Q? I guess delta wing will have well developed spanwise flow in the outer part of the wing, and front vertical fin could harm it, but I am not an aerodynamics expert :-)

2) how strong servos are necessary? I have some 3.7g servos with 250g.cm stall torque, 6.9g servos with 800 g.cm torque, and 10g servos with metal gears and about 1.8 kg.cm torque. My educated guess it that 6.9g ones will be sufficient for elevons, and maybe even the tiny one could be used for rudder? I will fly this plane outdoors, but I want it mainly for training 3D, not for punching the sky at high speeds :-)

3) what powertrain would you use for a bit heavier build than in the original post? I used 3mm XPS covered with laminating film, and my wing and fuselage including carbon spars weigh now about 128 grams. With another 150 or so for servos, ESC, motor, propeller, battery, etc. it looks like the AUW will be around 280 g (10 oz for you imperial guys). Would 2S be sufficient for 3D (hovering and so on), or should I beef up the powertrain even more and go for 3S?

4) many of the planes in this thread have servos in the front and insanely long rods from servos to control horns. Has anybody tried to move the servos to the rear?

Thanks,

-Yenya
Sep 25, 2019, 05:18 AM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenya

2) how strong servos are necessary? I have some 3.7g servos with 250g.cm stall torque, 6.9g servos with 800 g.cm torque, and 10g servos with metal gears and about 1.8 kg.cm torque. My educated guess it that 6.9g ones will be sufficient for elevons, and maybe even the tiny one could be used for rudder? I will fly this plane outdoors, but I want it mainly for training 3D, not for punching the sky at high speeds :-)

[/B]Thanks,

-Yenya
I used 3 of these and they work perfect https://emaxmodel.com/es9051-4-3g-pl...tal-servo.html

Quick Reply