Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 04, 2019, 09:51 AM
As much fun as I have had with the Quasar there are other shapes that might need further exploring too. I've scratchbuilt a couple variations of the UFO/flying saucer/nutball/Pi-plane which fly surprisingly well also. More on these later.

I still also really like scratchbuilding and flying profile 3D foamies. I always have a couple in my fleet as they are just too much fun and convenient to fly. My builds have become more polished over the years as my 3D flying has improved but the premise is still the same being good cheap fun.

Depron McFoamy XL (4 min 42 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2019, 10:28 AM
💩
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Nice! You're definitely making progress.

You should pick up a McFoamy from Greg at wmparkflyers also. It would complement the Quasar and is an awesome plane for learning to hover and harrier.
Thanks! Itís a lot of fun practicing and being able to do new things

I thought about a McFoamy but I love the looks of the Yak 55 a lot more! How do the two fly compared to each other?
Jan 04, 2019, 10:30 AM
💩
I weighed my Quasar and it’s a bit heavier than I would have guessed

Right on 150 grams for the airframe and the battery is another 49 grams, so around 199 grams AUW
Jan 04, 2019, 10:36 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
At my low level of skill, I've found that the two most obvious factors are wing loading and wingspan. The very lightest planes just hang in the sky waiting for the next command. The larger planes tend to move slower and with greater deliberation, allowing time for dumb-thumb correction.

Recently finished my McFoamy XL and am very happy with it. Of my other 3D planes, my favorite is a Techone Piaget 2 which is one of those just hang in the sky models.
Jan 04, 2019, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Thanks! Itís a lot of fun practicing and being able to do new things

I thought about a McFoamy but I love the looks of the Yak 55 a lot more! How do the two fly compared to each other?
With its long tail moment he McFoamy is about as easy as it gets for learning to hover and harrier and is a smooth easy flyer. The Yak 55 is also very nice but has a little shorter tail moment so it's a little quicker in pitch.

What is nice with Greg's kits is that they can be purchased in bare white, foam only kits all the way to complete bind and fly versions. Greg and Barb do their best to help meet a customers needs. Greg and Barb are involved with every aspect of the kit including cutting the sheets of EPP from a big block of raw EPP. They then laser cut all the kits and plywood parts and Greg will personally airbrush the parts for those who want painted kits.
Jan 04, 2019, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
At my low level of skill, I've found that the two most obvious factors are wing loading and wingspan. The very lightest planes just hang in the sky waiting for the next command. The larger planes tend to move slower and with greater deliberation, allowing time for dumb-thumb correction.

Recently finished my McFoamy XL and am very happy with it. Of my other 3D planes, my favorite is a Techone Piaget 2 which is one of those just hang in the sky models.
Yes the XL is also very nice. The video below is the maiden flight I flew on the original prototype.

McFoamy XL Garage Hover (0 min 54 sec)

Anyways back to the Quasar.
Jan 04, 2019, 11:44 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Unless I'm just not seeing it, you didn't install that jungle-gym of carbon rods on the under-fuse. If I were to build another, I won't do those rods again. I'll come up with something much more subtle. That and relocate the aile servos outboard to keep out of the battery adjustment line.
Jan 04, 2019, 03:01 PM
💩
Quote:
With its long tail moment he McFoamy is about as easy as it gets for learning to hover and harrier and is a smooth easy flyer. The Yak 55 is also very nice but has a little shorter tail moment so it's a little quicker in pitch.

What is nice with Greg's kits is that they can be purchased in bare white, foam only kits all the way to complete bind and fly versions. Greg and Barb do their best to help meet a customers needs. Greg and Barb are involved with every aspect of the kit including cutting the sheets of EPP from a big block of raw EPP. They then laser cut all the kits and plywood parts and Greg will personally airbrush the parts for those who want painted kits.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Yes the XL is also very nice. The video below is the maiden flight I flew on the original prototype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDRU8AtymfE

Anyways back to the Quasar.
Nice maiden
Jan 04, 2019, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Unless I'm just not seeing it, you didn't install that jungle-gym of carbon rods on the under-fuse. If I were to build another, I won't do those rods again. I'll come up with something much more subtle.
Oh those carbon rods were definitely there and I agree the trussing can be tedious work. On my Depron builds I use angled foam to stiffen the rear of the fuselage. Never tried it on EPP yet.
Jan 11, 2019, 03:08 AM
The Qv3 16.5" fatty flew great.... its just like its bigger brothers.. but able to fly in a smaller area..
Rolls faster...loops a bit large, I think the COG needs going back a bit more..
Hover great..
Its smooth and has plenty of thrust on a 6x3 prop.. Certainly its more than fast enough, but with the nose raised it will fly extremely slowly, and just like its big brother its nice and stable.. The air temperature in the hall was down at 3 degrees, this noticeably drops the power/thrust from the 450 2s lipos , but vertical , hover and pull up, was good and will be much better when the temperatures go back up...

The skids were only a partial success, the nose needs to be raised a bit, to keep the prop from hitting the floor.. I am going to add some wheels here..
Gear used...... hobbyking 1811-3800kv.. 6x3 prop... Orange micro RX, small socket type ... Plush 6A esc.. 3x 2gm hobbyking servos....
The props used were the gws type and were very fragile in the cold hall..
In general flying was easily done at half throttle with short bursts for aerobatics
Qv3 16.5fatty flight2 10Jan2019 (5 min 12 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Jan 11, 2019 at 05:46 AM.
Jan 11, 2019, 09:32 AM
Dave, I've been following your progress through V1, V2, and V3. Getting ready to cut out a V3. Thanks for all the R&D!!

Do you have a close-up shot of your LANDING GEAR? I'd like to put a set on this plane.

Thanks!
Jan 12, 2019, 05:52 AM
On the latest small version Its just a quick foam set..This is only possible because this small v3 has a deeper fuz...
and I am running a small prop..
In the videos https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d-delta/page12
The gear was simple skids on a foam riser...
However on a few occasions the prop was clipping the floor and breaking the prop tips off..
It also needed a higher angle of attack as the take off was a bit slow
Now with wheels as per the pics..

On the full size version I use a CF "X" with the axle across the top.. this sits on a 3 layer triangular EPP reinforcement.. hot glued in place..
Last edited by davereap; Jan 12, 2019 at 06:07 AM.
Jan 12, 2019, 07:28 AM
Thanks! Looks like about 2 mm carbon fiber rods?
Jan 12, 2019, 11:33 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Check the landing gear design from our illustrious Q-designer on post 834 a few posts up. It looks very robust.
Jan 13, 2019, 01:45 AM
flyin' fool
Super Simple Indoor Landing Gear and Prop Protector ..............

The nose gear wire is bent into a 'L' shape then lashed onto the back of the plywood mount with button thread/CA and a few tiny holes. The tip skids are short lengths of round CF. Easy to make, light, takes a beating and they work. I've used this method on many different wings and things over the years with perfect success. Take off, land, touch n' goes, sliding turns (Rockfords) and other silly stuff possible. Just make sure the nose wire is bent back at the contact point for some castor effect.

Quick Reply