Oct 10, 2018, 08:11 PM
flyin' fool
Five ounces ready to fly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg

Sunny Sky 2204-1480kv motor.
APC 9x3.7SF 3D prop (I have some APC 9x4.6SF 3D props on order to try).
Hobbywing 10a esc.
Hitec HS-40 servos for elevons and a Hitec HS-45 on rudder.
Spectrum AR6115e receiver.
Thunder Power 2s/325 55c batteries.

................... built from 8mm EPP

. three (3) 3mm carbon tubes for spares along with 3mm x 1mm carbon strips inset just behind the leading edge.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2018, 08:32 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
What? I said it was depapered.
Just showing how much the paper weighs compared to the foam it was removed from. The right tape will provide the rigidity and save weight. The DTFB is too floppy and dents/scratches just looking at it, so it needs something.

I normally don't worry about these issues, I build with EPP. My Warp-9 in DTFB is an exercise in showing the indoor crowd here that you can build a great flying model for less than a buck. They continue to show up with those expensive B n' Fs that last two flights.
Oct 10, 2018, 09:11 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Just showing how much the paper weighs compared to the foam it was removed from. The right tape will provide the rigidity and save weight. The DTFB is too floppy and dents/scratches just looking at it, so it needs something.

I normally don't worry about these issues, I build with EPP. My Warp-9 in DTFB is an exercise in showing the indoor crowd here that you can build a great flying model for less than a buck. They continue to show up with those expensive B n' Fs that last two flights.
Gotcha. Yes the paper weighs almost as much as the foam. But it probably supplies more strength than the foam.

I'd prefer EPP too, but it costs so much to ship to my door, I might as well buy an EPP aircraft foam kit. Depapered DTF with suitable tape reinforcement is locally available, cheap, and not a bad compromise. Another reason tape over DTF is better than paper is the paper wrinkles, lifts at edges and looks like crap after a little abuse. At least with tape I can pull it off and replace it with new.
Oct 10, 2018, 09:38 PM
Jim
[QUOTE=hard line;40334201]I'd prefer EPP too, but it costs so much to ship to my door, I might as well buy an EPP aircraft foam kit.]

I feel yer pain on the EPP! I have owned a couple of these. Not too bad for 25 bucks I suppose.
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...ak55-ver2.html
Oct 10, 2018, 10:08 PM
The V2 is a good shape..
My extra strengthening for crash and bash sessions ,and the addition of wheels takes my flying weight on all my std size variations up to 8oz when using the 500 2s lipo.. but even at this weight they are all great flying models..
Wing loadings on a V1 at 8oz is 3.47.. on a V2 with more area it is 3.13 ozsqft...
200% will be enormous..
Ive got a V1wing with V2body made at 26 inches from B&Q foam, Built for flying outside...It has a KFm4 wing for strength and stiffness, using about a 30% step location( see the pic)....
It flies great , with plenty of vertical, on a 150W power setup... the wing loading 3.4747ozsqft

But its not the best wing body combination, all V2 is my best so far..and the extra area on the V2 wing reduces the wing loading..

By going bigger the wing loading will often go down, despite it being a heavier model.. It will fly slower, more floaty...
This has much the same effect as building the standard size lighter...
The only downside is it may get too docile unless you give it plenty of power......but that problem is easily sorted.. remember its an area increase.. twice the size is 4times the area and will need power to suit the extra weight..
I always aim for a 2:1 power/thrust to weight setup on all my outdoor models..
Its better to have too much power than not enough, its more fun..
Last edited by davereap; Oct 14, 2018 at 03:46 AM.
Oct 11, 2018, 12:16 AM
flyin' fool
Lightness is pure magic ……… the CY at 5.3 ounces ...……..

RC Factory andTwisted Hobbys Crack Yak Lite (3 min 34 sec)
Oct 11, 2018, 12:18 AM
flyin' fool
The Quasar can perform the same, as demonstrated in the first videos, if kept light.
Oct 11, 2018, 01:03 AM
"long stretch of water..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
The Quasar can perform the same, as demonstrated in the first videos, if kept light.
EPP is very hard to acquire here in Australia so I built mine from 5mm HK foam and it's still too heavy, coming in around 220g. I've almost got the hang of performing tricks with it but besides that it's just a great little plane to fly. I always take it with me and a couple of Lipos whenever I go to our field down the road.

Cheers

Pat
Oct 11, 2018, 01:13 AM
flyin' fool
FREE EPP ...............…. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1286
Oct 11, 2018, 09:33 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
200% will be enormous..
Ive got a V1wing with V2body made at 26 inches from B&Q foam, Built for flying outside...It has a KFm2 wing for strength and stiffness, using about a 30% step location( see the pic)....
It flies great , with plenty of vertical, on a 150W power setup... the wing loading 3.4747ozsqft

But its not the best wing body combination, all V2 is my best so far..and the extra area on the V2 wing reduces the wing loading..

By going bigger the wing loading will often go down, despite it being a heavier model.. It will fly slower, more floaty...
This has much the same effect as building the standard size lighter...
The only downside is it may get too docile unless you give it plenty of power......but that problem is easily sorted.. remember its an area increase.. twice the size is 4times the area and will need power to suit the extra weight..
I always aim for a 2:1 power/thrust to weight setup on all my outdoor models..
Its better to have too much power than not enough, its more fun..
Yes, 200% will be enormous. For practical reasons I may reduce it somewhat just to optimize the number of sheets I need to use. But it must be large.

I expect it will be very docile by comparison with standard. I anticipate using it as a longer range park flyer but hopefully a very agile park flyer. Should be able to do all the things my current Q can do, but slower and more graceful. At least that's what I hope.

Since I'm not up-scaling the foam thickness, the construction will be very light. Too light for integrity. But that gives me margin to use more tape to make up the deficiency in strength and stiffness.
Oct 12, 2018, 04:22 AM
My larger 26" model is made from 5mm foam... the wing is a KFm4, so its 3 layers thick at the leading edge.. the fuze is also two layers thick as is the rudder...
its plenty strong enough and despite its heavy build the wing loading is still low at 3.56ozsqft...with a 600 3s lipo
I have just been modding its wing shape to a V2 to better match its V2 fuz.
It has no spars.. stiffness is given by the KF layers being covered in laminating film.. it is very stiff, very strong
If you make a big wing and go KFm2 it will lower the wing loading some more..

One of our indoor crash and bash sessions... every time there is a loud bang a model has "landed" lol.
modified V3 testing (6 min 15 sec)

modified V3 testing 2 (7 min 29 sec)

there are two quasars in the next video... my new V3 and my old V1

modified V3 testing 3 (8 min 48 sec)

modified V3 testing 4 (3 min 59 sec)

modding a V1 wing to a V2 pics
Last edited by davereap; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply