Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 21, 2018, 09:07 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
I put mine on a diet and the difference of a few ounces made the difference between this and this !
I'm surprised you needed to put it on a diet. I thought you were Mr; BUILD IT LIGHT!!!

So my spec WMPF kit weighs 145g without 30g battery. What did yours get down to?
I guess an even lighter one would be fun, but I fly only outdoors so maybe not so useful. Mine's a handful in light/moderate wind now.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2018, 10:51 AM
"long stretch of water..."
My next one should be a lot lighter. I only had a solid 4mm main spar and the control rods on this one are way too heavy. I'll see if I can find some thin CF which should work better on the next one.

A twilight video from this evening. 😊

Pat

Quasar 220718 (3 min 9 sec)
Jul 22, 2018, 04:33 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!

SunnySky warning

I thought I had lost a rear bearing on my SS X2204. But upon motor removal, the shaft had slipped nearly all the way out the back and the motor bell was just hanging on via magnetics. What secures the motor assembly are the two prop saver screws. So put a driver on them from time to time.

The shaft has a flange head on the back instead of a clip. Just held in by those front screws. Probably some of you knew this but I didn't. Good as new now.
Jul 23, 2018, 12:49 PM
Nice flying coongoola and 302! Glad to see there are still a few Quasar's being built and flown.
Jul 23, 2018, 02:38 PM
💩
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Nice flying coongoola and 302! Glad to see there are still a few Quasar's being built and flown.
Thanks, it's a fun plane to fly

I feel silly about it, but my first flights were without the winglets. I forgot to put them on and didn't even remember them until I saw em on the kitchen table I haven't flown it yet since I put them on.
Aug 05, 2018, 01:16 PM
Great day for a fly yesterday with my Quasar. I've almost got the hovering nailed but a long way to go until I can safely perform it close to the ground.

What an easy build this was, and so much fun to fly.

Pat

Quasar 050818 (1 min 37 sec)
Aug 08, 2018, 01:18 AM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
So my spec WMPF kit weighs 145g without 30g battery. What did yours get down to?
I guess an even lighter one would be fun, but I fly only outdoors so maybe not so useful. Mine's a handful in light/moderate wind now.
196 grams / 7.0 ounces with 3S 520s.

I've had to tighten the screws holding the shaft a few times, then replaced them with socket head cap screws.
Aug 10, 2018, 02:30 AM
💩
A quick 3 minute paint job helped out a lot vs. an all white airframe

I got in a couple flights today. This plane makes me look like a lot better pilot than I actually am lol.
Aug 10, 2018, 11:34 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
The top looks great. The bottom....well, the top looks great.
Aug 10, 2018, 02:04 PM
Sometimes a couple of bits of thin Hobbyking tape is all that required.

Pat

Quasar 050818 (1 min 37 sec)
Aug 10, 2018, 02:07 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Is HK wing tape any different from the colored packing tapes in common usage? I think mine is 2 mils which is pretty light.
Aug 10, 2018, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Is HK wing tape any different from the colored packing tapes in common usage? I think mine is 2 mils which is pretty light.
I don't know how thick my tape is but it's very hard to find the end on the roll. 😐

Pat
Aug 10, 2018, 03:01 PM
💩
Quote:
Originally Posted by coongoola
Sometimes a couple of bits of thin Hobbyking tape is all that required.

Pat

https://youtu.be/RQ3X7ExtQCE
Did the tape stick fine on its own or did you use something to help adhere it?
Aug 10, 2018, 03:03 PM
💩
Quote:
The top looks great. The bottom....well, the top looks great.
I spent 3 minutes on the paint job and I was rewarded with a 3 minute paint job?

Just curious, what do you not like about the bottom?
Aug 10, 2018, 03:24 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Just personal preference I guess.

I found that the HK wing tape is 45microns which converts to 1.8 mils. So a tad thinner than colored packing tapes. Like 302 I'm also interested in how well it stuck, although it often depends greatly on the type of foam. EPP is pretty hard to stick to compared to finer grained foams.

Quick Reply