Mar 09, 2018, 02:45 PM
I hope you are correct, but those front arms are very thin.. and thats where it got bent..
I am sure that on other surfaces this wouldnt have happened, but our floor is just too solid..The impact sound was just like hitting it with a hammer.. loud and sharp..

I have added some more EPP to the front as a guard of sorts... another +1/4oz... but now the motor is better protected from most angles other than a direct head on impact..

I might swap the motor at a later date for one of my various quad motors.. they are of a similar size .+5gms... but with a higher KV,,
Our crash and bash sessions are target rich, last night it wasnt over crowded, some times its so crowded its impossible to go through a session with no collisions...lol.. great fun but the tangled planes get chewed up on a regular basis..

The wheels are useful, I do prefer taking off and landing , rather than hand launching, but with them being removable I have a choice..

I like deltas and odd shapes so thanks for making one that actually does the business.. This is the best all round model Ive made in a long while.. whilst most deltas fly well, this one is better than most.. you got it spot on...
Ive got some more slight adjustments to make.. The COG can definitely go back more for a start.. that will make the roll even more axial.
Last edited by davereap; Mar 09, 2018 at 03:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2018, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
.....I like deltas and odd shapes so thanks for making one that actually does the business.. This is the best all round model I've made in a long while.. whilst most deltas fly well, this one is better than most.. you got it spot on...
Ive got some more slight adjustments to make.. The COG can definitely go back more for a start.. that will make the roll even more axial.
Thank you very much for the comments. I'm glad others are having the opportunity to enjoy the Quasar as much as I do.

Definitely slide the COG back a bit. The COG on the plan is a nice conservative place to start.
Mar 10, 2018, 06:31 PM
One of my flying buddies is getting ready for the nice spring weather which will so be making an appearance in West Michigan, He has also outfitted his Quasar on floats. His preliminary flight test was good. Hopefully I'll post some video at some point this spring.
Mar 13, 2018, 10:44 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Ok, took my 28 incher out again, no need to post the video, it only lasted about a 30 seconds.....ok, 20 if I cut out the 10 seconds of me crying. The cg is still off on it, it went straight into a hover...which is cool if you can fly 3d planes, oh, that's right, I can't. Anyways it flipped over and landed square on its nose...I'm back home and the glue is currently drying. I'm also gonna have to do some adjustments to move the battery further up front too.
Mar 13, 2018, 12:15 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
My std Q sometimes goes into auto-hover, uncommanded. It used to cause me problems when I had marginal power, but since I upped the thrust it now easily punches up and out.
Mar 14, 2018, 05:29 AM
On the 28" the COG should be set at 10.8" back from the front firewall.. thats a safe nose heavy starting location..
Mar 14, 2018, 08:11 AM
Quote:
On the 28" the COG should be set at 10.8" back from the front firewall.. thats a safe nose heavy starting location..
Thanks Dave, kinda discovered my miscalculated 13 inches was too far. Picture shows the red mark that I used first time, spar was the second cg point, blue mark is 10.8. Gonna be a 1/2 inch ahead of that this time for a little safety factor till I get a better "feel" how it flys. Suppose to be a good light winded day today and I'm off work for my son's school springbreak, so I should have lots of time for repairs and adjustments on the field.
Mar 14, 2018, 10:25 AM
Looking forward to spring and warmer weather as it's been too cold and too windy here as of late for much outdoor flying. All those nor'easters even affect our weather in West Michigan as the circulation around the low draws down that cold Canadian air. Looking to finally be a little milder this weekend as we might even see temps around 50 degrees.

We have a decent local venue that is available for indoor flying a couple times a week but unfortunately work gets in the way for me. On the other hand Dale, one of my flying buddies, just recently retired and he has been taking full advantage of opportunity to fly indoors and has been brushing up on his hovering skills with the Quasar. He's had numerous indoor foamies but says the Quasar is the best one yet.
Mar 14, 2018, 11:03 AM
Beautiful 60 degree, sunshine, and 5-7 mph winds this morning. Took the 28 incher out today with an heavier battery to improve the cg, flew good, but the heavier weight killed the motor performance. Lackluster hovering ability due to the weight and my skills, kinda just slowly semi hovered around the field....but hey, I brought it home in one piece this time. I have a bigger motor to try, more power and (weight) but I can use the smaller battery then to compensate. Hmmmm, do I have enough time to swap it out and get back out there before the winds pick up?
Mar 15, 2018, 02:40 AM
how heavy is your 28..
Mar 15, 2018, 08:12 AM
Quote:
how heavy is your 28..
AUW with both setups are just at 600 grams. The first motor" turnigy D2830/11 1000kv" with a 2200 battery to balance cg, second motor "turnigy D3530/14 1100kv and 1600 battery for cg balance.
Not the best motors, but for the price, not too bad. The thrust on D2830 was only a 1 to 1 ratio with the weight of the plane, the D3530 should do better at 1.3 to 1.
Mar 15, 2018, 09:55 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
AUW with both setups are just at 600 grams....
D3530 should do better at 1.3 to 1.
I know you said you hate doing the math, but I'm an engineer and can't help myself -- so I'll do it for you.

You scaled up from 22 to 28, a dimension growth of 1.27.
Area growth will be the square of that -- 1.62
Volume growth will be the cube -- 2.06
Weight will grow with volume if everything is upscaled equally.

My 22'er weighs 165g with a Nanotech 300mah. Upscaling: 165 x 2.06 = 340 grams vs your 600. Something to ponder.
Mar 15, 2018, 09:58 AM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line

My 22'er weighs 165g with a Nanotech 300mah.
What motor, ESC, and prop do you use?
Mar 15, 2018, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I know you said you hate doing the math, but I'm an engineer and can't help myself -- so I'll do it for you.

You scaled up from 22 to 28, a dimension growth of 1.27.
Area growth will be the square of that -- 1.62
Volume growth will be the cube -- 2.06
Weight will grow with volume if everything is upscaled equally.

My 22'er weighs 165g with a Nanotech 300mah. Upscaling: 165 x 2.06 = 340 grams vs your 600. Something to ponder.
I agree with these numbers hard line. My thoughts for how much a 28" scaled up Quasar should weigh is around 12 to 14 ounces and that is exactly where you are figuring. I am looking at powering it with a SunnySky 2208-1100kv motor swinging an APC 9x4.7 or 10x3.8 slow flyer prop with a Hobbywing Skywalker 20a esc, Tattu 3s/850 45c packs and either HXT-9g or Emax ES08D servos.

Now to find time to build it.
Mar 15, 2018, 10:09 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302
What motor, ESC, and prop do you use?
Sunnysky X2204/1800kv
APC 8x4.1 3D SF prop
10A esc, label missing. I usually buy Skywalker
Nanotech 300 or Tattu 450 or GensAce 520, all 2S
measured thrust> 400g

Quick Reply